Kirkland 5k. (Read 693 times)

Jeffrey

I kept postponing my commitment to this race because I was trying to gauge my recovery from an HM I ran on 050607. I still consider myself a novice ... don't run/race frequently enough to know all there is to know about my body's signals. Early Sunday morning [day of race] I decided to participate. I couldn't find a map of the course but I was able to email one of the race directors earlier in the week to get a rough idea of the route. Race morning: unexpected chill in the air, slightly windy. The start was at sea level right near the water edge which made the wind extra frigid. < perfect="" /> running temperature at around 45 degrees. First .75 mile I was running at 6:45. This pace felt great. I was surprised by the speed but kept it up as I knew there was a hill coming up soon. Hit the hill for a 150' climb. This was a small race and there were about 18 people ahead of me. I passed 3 people on the hill. (I have never passed people on a hill; typically I keep a very steady pace: I don't pass and I don't get passed.) My legs felt strong at this point and so did my mind. I was iterating some mental notes to myself about keeping form up the hill and picking the pace back up once the slope eased. At mile 1.25 we were running a downhill; I began running alongside another runner. Once I did this I felt like I began to comfort-cruise and wasn't pushing myself. Mile 2 came along and I snapped out of it. I recognized where I was on the route and took a final look at my watch. I decided to kick it. I passed another 2 runners almost immediately. I passed another runner about 300 yards from the finish. At this stage I thought I was by myself ... until I heard his breathing on my shoulder. He attempted to pass me with 200 yards to go. I didn't want to get passed here. I sprinted to the line and finished ahead of him. Mile 1: 7:13 Mile 2: 7:09 Mile 3: 6:48 Mile .1: 0:32 Time: 21:42 (PR) I am really happy with this time. (my last 5k was in October 2006!) This race was fun and I am looking forward to my next 5k. Smile
      Awesome! Really nice PR there, Squid.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

WTG and CONGRATS on your PR!!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nice race squid. Big grin And that's a real great example of negative splits, and a killer kick on that last 0.1 mi (you dropped it down to 5:20 pace for that little burst).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Jeffrey

Bonkin, rockenmamof5, Thanks for the kind words! Smile
              Nice PR squidboy!! That picture of your dog in your profile is adorable!
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, that is an AWESOME time! NICE work! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Jeffrey

Jeffgoblue, Thanks for the positive comment. This is the first time I tried for negative splits! Although I didn't have a choice to go any faster through the entire Mile 1, on account of a hill. I really enjoyed the competition of a smaller race. Hearing the other runner on my shoulder was the motivation behind the 5:20 burst! Big grin My time was good enough for a 13/391 overall placement and 5/31 in my age group. Yes! Smile
                  Nice race squid. Big grin And that's a real great example of negative splits, and a killer kick on that last 0.1 mi (you dropped it down to 5:20 pace for that little burst).
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This is the first time I tried for negative splits!
                    Well, given a choice between a 21:42 with negative splits or a 21:42 running too fast at the beginning and sucking wind at the end Dead, it's pretty obvious which way is more fun and rewarding. Sophomore year in HS, I ran my mile PR (up to that point), but hated it b/c I got passed by 3~4 people in the last 100 yards. It was a lot more fun to later beat that time going negative and finishing strong. Negative splits rule!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Nicely done!
                      http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                      Jeffrey

HurricaneShauna, Thanks! I took that photo of our pup. I was doing some other work for my job and had her come in and sit for a moment. Photographing hounds must be a tough biz cuz they don't take direction too well! zoom-zoom, Thanks! Smile
                        Nice PR squidboy!! That picture of your dog in your profile is adorable!
                          Nice race report and awesome time. I'm totally jealous! My goal is a 21 min 5k AND I'd love to have a dog like that! Tongue

Michelle

You'll ruin your knees!

WTG! Outstanding job on inking a PR! Clowning around Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wow, great race!!
                              2009: BQ?