Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Taking it all in, I think I'm going out at 86 minute (6:34/mi) pace and I'll reevaluate as I go along.
    My 10k predicts 86:12, and that was done at the end of my highest-mileage week in a year. I've gone faster than the Jack Daniels charts would predict for my two races this year, so that coupled with everyone's recommendations is how I came up with the goal. Typing that out it sounds to me a tad conservative, but I am wanting to be pretty aggressive with this race.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

Keen - Nothing wrong about starting a bit conservative to see how things go. That's been the recipe for my best HMs, except my last where I kept a very even pace throughout. You look more than ready for a strong performance!

JMAc - 15k tempo run . Was that all done at Jack's T-pace? If so no wonder it was a hard workout.

Piwi - Careful with that calf when you do your VO2Max workout! Nice mileage again!

Jaime - Nice RR. That race looks like a very strong performance to me!

Flavio - That's a nice long run/workout! I think Mark should ignore your advice and put your race on the board just to hold you accountable . I also promise to be nice to the birds on my runs. Several of the trails close to the water run right next to areas that are fenced off to give the birds and other animals some space and quiet from people and dogs. I hadn't seen the owl sign before so I snapped a picture of it.

MArk - Nice week again. Are you starting your actual training program now to prepare for your next race? I also like your approach of being out for 13kms or more on all your runs, it will build a very nice base for you.

James - Nice week as well! Good to see your progression so far this year.

I made a mistake when I planned out my week and forgot to take into account the quick trip to Disneyland my family had planned for the weekend. Mileage therefore ended up on the low side, but I substituted a training run or two with spending pretty much all of Saturday on my feet, with some heat acclimation thrown in for good measure. Finished off ok yesterday with 12 miles with 7 20 sec strides at the end where my legs felt surprisingly fresh for the strides. Gunning for 45 miles total this week, and I will probably do a fartlek session or similar to start getting my legs ready for the R-pace workouts that start in 2 weeks.

Weekly Summary
      Monday, Apr 16, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 22, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
      Mon 4.2 9:32 0:40 Evening Run 127 (66%) 70 strava
      Tue 5.1 8:30 0:43 Lunch Run with 4x20 sec strides at the end 138 (72%) 145 strava
      Wed 2.3 8:23 0:19 Crappy Evening Run 132 (69%) 29 strava
      Thu 8.1 8:56 1:12 Heatmapping 136 (71%) 583 strava
      Sun 12.0 8:13 1:38 Afternoon Run + 7 x 20 sec strides 143 (74%) 364 strava
        31.7 8:38 4:33     1191  

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Rune - Oh no, definitely not. That would lead to certain death. He has a table in one of his books that shows a 20 minute tempo at Threshold pace is equivalent to a 60 minute tempo at about T+25 seconds at my current fitness level. If you haven't done a long tempo in the past, you should try it, although anybody who has done serious marathon training uses these as a staple of their workouts, often something like 12-14 at MP. Also, you need a signature with PRs and upcoming races!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

Rune - Oh no, definitely not. That would lead to certain death. He has a table in one of his books that shows a 20 minute tempo at Threshold pace is equivalent to a 60 minute tempo at about T+25 seconds at my current fitness level. If you haven't done a long tempo in the past, you should try it, although anybody who has done serious marathon training uses these as a staple of their workouts, often something like 12-14 at MP. Also, you need a signature with PRs and upcoming races!

Oh good, I know about the adjustment and I guess once you get to 9-10 miles, depending on how fast you are, it pretty much turns into an m-pace workout. I've done plenty in the past with everything from 3 miles and up, but with the program I followed this winter it was either the shorter 3 mile efforts, cruise intervals, or m-pace workouts. But I see with the 2Q program I will follow starting in June there will be plenty of runs around this pace.

And I'll see if I can update my signature 

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

Rune - thanks!  I actually struggle with running less than 11-12km now unless it's a recovery run.  Kind of feels like I'm just getting into it and then it's time to finish.  Focusing on a bit of strength building at the moment hence all the hills.  Hope the Disneyland trip was fun!

JMac/Rune - I found those long tempo workouts invaluable when training for the marathon last year.  In hindsight, my 35km long run was actually a better effort than the race itself - I think from memory I had ~18km at MP in there.

For HMs my coach introduced a new workout, with 3 x 12 min just above HMP / 3 min easy.  It was actually pretty brutal (I call it the Pain Train) but it seemed to set me up really well for my last HM.

Keen - sounds like a good plan for your race.  I had a look at the course map, because I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to that sort of thing.  It looks pretty quick aside from that weird (but short) twisty section at around the 5.5 mile mark.  No hills of any real consequence and the last couple of miles look ripe for picking up the pace if you still have some gas in the tank with a very slight downhill gradient to help you.  I put you down for a 1:26:00 target but let me know if you want to change it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

runethechamp

Mark - Interesting that you mention training runs that feel better than the actual race. When I trained for Paris I was really nervous about how my legs would hold up at m-pace for the distance, so for my last 20-miler I basically did the whole run at m-pace (granted, it was watch pace, and with one bathroom break, and cool conditions with rain). But I ran 20 miles at 8:31 pace in that training run, and when I slowed down at the end of the actual marathon I ended up with 26.2 miles at 8:39 pace.

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

Rune - Generally I find training paces harder than the race, at least for HMs, because a taper and a bit of race-day adrenaline make quite a difference.  The Pain Train workout above ended up being my actual HM pace for my recent PB HM but I was battling by the 3rd rep when I did the workout!

Interesting to hear your experience with your 20 miler before Paris.  With that 35km FM long run, I reckon if I'd carried on I would've done a better time than I did in the actual race.  Granted, race day was humid, whereas the conditions for my LR were perfect temperature wise but it absolutely poured with rain from about the 18km mark and that didn't seem to make much difference even when my shoes got wet and heavy.

All - this is not a reason for you to tell me to do another marathon.  I have duly noted your comments in this regard.  

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark love it setting yourself up there, 2.40 marathon this year or you are soft lol !

So that 3 x 12 mins would be 36 mins at slightly faster than HMP. Probably similar to a 10k tempo but the extra pace would be beneficial Im sure. I will try that one some time.

Rune nice job getting in those miles and Disneyland as well. Hope you didnt have to queue up too long for rides !

Keen 1.26-1.27 sounds perfect. Once you hit 1.26 then 1.24 isnt far off and an even 4 mins/km which is a big benchmark.

Jmac Im happy to say it was a fake calf injury ! Its settled down so quickly. I hate doing speedwork in view of others so try to get it done on early dawn light. I dont mind so much at the track though. Hoping to do my intervals tomorrow.

Our track has a brand new surface put on about 4 weeks ago but they dont allow any running in lanes 1 and 2 to preserve it. This would make intervals hard to work out running in the other lanes or are there marking on the track ? GPS always reads a bit short on a track.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - When you say "above" HMP, is that faster or slower? 12 minutes for me would be right around Threshold pace for 2 miles, and I've done a ton of 3x2 mile with 2 minute walking rest in my day. They are very difficult workouts, although the worst was in marathon training when I had to do 4x2. As Flavio/Watson would say, I started to see Jesus at the end of that one.

Piwi - Definitely don't use GPS to do track workouts. You should see a bunch of crazing markings on the track and they all have meaning. You can use these markings to do intervals in outside lines, although it's a bit hard to get interim splits. It's also a bit tricky to figure out exactly how to offset yourself in a given lane. The easiest way to explain it to look at the IAAF link below and check out the last/outside lane. You'll see three important markers: Start 800m, Start 400M, and Start 4x400. Each one of those offsets exactly one turn. So the 800m is one turn, 400m is two turns of the track (or exactly one lap) and the 4x400 is three turns of the track. If you're trying to do something like 800m in the outside lane, you need to offset 4 turns of the track, so you would have to walk off the distance to where you think a theoretical fourth marker would be, and start from there. 1000m intervaks would be a fifth marker walked off, etc. Hope that made sense.

https://www.iaaf.org/download/download?filename=90af96aa-3d93-4e8f-a295-40c0c971c20f.pdf

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Arvind Balaraman

My workout last week

Sport Date Title Time Distance Elevation
                      Workout Sun, 4/22/2018 Foam rolling 20:07 0 mi - ft
                      Run Sun, 4/22/2018 RTR umstead recovery 1:26:30 11.00 mi 640 ft
                      Race Sat, 4/21/2018 Tar heel double down race 1:48:32 14.26 mi 879 ft
                      Run Fri, 4/20/2018 2cd 17:13 2.03 mi - ft
                      Workout Fri, 4/20/2018 Strength training 0:28:48 0 mi - ft
                      Workout Thu, 4/19/2018 HIIT 0:31:31 0 mi - ft
                      Run Thu, 4/19/2018 2wp 16:59 2.03 mi - ft
                      Run Thu, 4/19/2018 Easy 4 on the mill 0:34:22 4.33 mi - ft
                      Workout Wed, 4/18/2018 RTR scorching hills 1:08:12 8.05 mi 896 ft
                      Run Tue, 4/17/2018 8 MP new shoes 1:04:44 8.44 mi 371 ft
                      Workout Tue, 4/17/2018 Core workout 0:30:03 0 mi - ft
                      Workout Mon, 4/16/2018 Foam rolling 23:01 0 mi - ft
                      Run Mon, 4/16/2018 Easy 6 for the top American women at Boston 0:53:45 6.30 mi 177 ft
                        Total     56.4  

Thanks Jmac. I think I will save 800m repeats with 400m recoveries  for the track then 

I did my VO2max workout this morning in the dark so no one could see me  my first intervals in nearly 2 years. Set my watch to intervals with 4km warmup then 5 x 1000 with 400m jog recovery and 2kms cooldown. I think I ran them about right as I was starting to hate life by the 3rd one . I didnt know pace untill I uploaded back at home but I averaged 3.35/km although I had one at 3.30 and one at 3.40 which isnt ideal. I should get a better feel for these as I do more.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Wow, nice Piwi! Remember how Mark said he doesn't need reminding to sign up for a marathon? You should qualify your posts like that with "I don't need a reminder to sign up for a race."

Very excited to see you out there doing quality work!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - I'm a course map geek as well! I do know the course really well, having done training runs over it many times, and that little segment isn't as bad as it looks. You're right about there not really being any big hills - the worst is probably a bridge in mile 2. Other that that it's flat to rolling, and less hilly than my usual routes. 1:26 is just fine as a tracking point!

Piwi - Thanks for the vote of confidence! On one level I can understand 1:24 not being far off of 1:26, but on the other hand this all seems really fast - at the beginning of the year I thought I'd be happy if I could break 1:28.

JMac - Thanks for that .pdf. I've been looking for something like that but have never seen anything that detailed. As someone who never did track growing up, or even serious track workouts until this year, that's a huge help.

Arvind - Care to stick around to chat beyond dumping weeklies?

My FIL's company is fielding a couple relay teams for the marathon this weekend, and his lost their 1st leg runner. Since they couldn't find anyone else willing, I'm taking the first ~10k leg of it. It's exactly along the HM route and it'll only mean wearing a second bib (likely folded down and pinned to shorts) and carrying a timing chip to pass to the next runner. We have it planned so that I'll actually skip the official relay handoff and meet the 2nd runner where the relay exchange route meets up with the official route - I should be able to just toss the tracking bracelet without losing any time at all.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Keen nice that impromptu 10k will be a good workout. I also try and run parts of courses or even the whole course prior to racing. Your Strava 10km run this morning was like a dead straight line at exactly 5 min/km pace, very neat and tidy 

JMAC the nice thing about VO2 intervals is a huge sense of achievement when you finish  also mentally for me to run faster than 10k/half/tempo pace is very encouraging. At times I felt I slipped back into 10k/half pace so was a little worried about seeing my splits back at home. Right now Im thinking 3.40/km for an upcoming Parkrun. Ultimately this year I would like to go sub 18 as a 50 year old.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - The first leg of the relay is actually concurrent with the HM this weekend!

I was shocked to see my pace so consistent for that run since I was just trying to go by feel. And I don't have much other than straight lines to run in out here!

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4