Galveston 70.3, ready or not, here I come (Peak Period - T-18) (Read 841 times)

About 175 days ago, I committed myself to the Ironman Galveston 70.3.  Over those 175 days, I've average 41 minutes per day of activity (doesn't sound too long after I did the math...).  That's a total of 121 hours of training, 28 swimming, 52 biking, and 40 running.

I've learned a lot. 
    I now understand HR training (although I recognize that I don't know near as much as I need to know). 
    I now understand a few new things about nutrition.
    I now understand pain (3 injuries along the way - swimmers shoulder in Nov., hip flexor in Jan., knee pain in Mar. due to a bike crash).
    I now understand that most things are possible, even if they seem impossible today.

I still have a lot to learn.
    I'm preparing for the mental games on race day.
    I'm mentally preparing for the swimming madness at the start of the race.
    I'm mentally preparing for the wind while biking.
    I'm mentally preparing for the 4 loops during the run and the fact that I know that I'll want to quit after a couple of loops.

For me, this is a journey, and is bigger than an event.
    Time doesn't matter. 
    This race really doesn't matter (eventhough I'd be very disappointed if I don't finish).

I've now completed the build portion of the training, and the next 18 days will be Peak Period racepace, lower volume activities.  There aren't anymore 2-a-days.  There aren't many early mornings. 

As I begin to get race ready fresh over the next couple of weeks, I may also feel the urge to run the extra 3, bike the extra hour, swim the extra mile.... Mentally, I need to realize that my build training is complete, and I now need to become fresh and ready for 4/10/2011.  Read, relax, prepare, enjoy.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

xor

Are you Berner?

Are you Berner?

Who's Berner?  No, not me.  I'm Brian from DFW area.

Life Goals:

xor

:-)

Hi Brian... good luck in Galveston.

Your avatar is the same as another dude named Berner from the Chicago area.  He used to post a lot more than he does now.

Your avatar is the same as another dude named Berner from the Chicago area. 

Yes, I searched for his name and saw that now.  No, but I like the avatar.  As an analyst, I oftentimes find myself searching hard for what is right in front of me.  The image makes me smile.  I'm guessing that the Berner guy also get a chuckle out of some good math humor.

Life Goals:

xor

Berner doesn't seem to get a chuckle out of many things, but perhaps.

You'll ruin your knees!

Hey Brian, there is another Brian in DFW who is a triathlete... http://watchbritri.blogspot.com/  He is not really active on the forums, but logs his training here  http://www.runningahead.com/logs/f8dd0bd2a1d9496a8c1ae834ba8e73f0.  He is currently preparing for the full down in The Woodlands...  

Good luck in Galveston!  Always good to note your learnings and to understand what you don't know.  The mental stuff is HUGE!!! 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Hey Brian - 

I did my first 70.3 in 2009.  It was an AMAZING experience.

I learned a TON - the do's and don't's of tris....

I am excited for you - take it all in.

I will say that the tri community is not NEARLY as friendly as the running community.  Very hard to strike up a conversation in the pre-race hours...almost as if you've gotta "earn" your way into the community.  That was lame.  I've always enjoyed the environment at running events - super friendly all the time, whether experienced runner or novice.

Good luck to you!  Don't throw it all away in the swim!!  Smile