400 Mile Month (Read 249 times)

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

I'll have to be careful not to injure myself by patting myself on the back too hard, but I hit two lifetime bests during the same workout this morning. I made it to 2000 miles for the year around 7.5 which was a nice feeling, but the bigger accomplishment (or perhaps foolishness) was a 400 mile month. I will be taking the day off tomorrow. GRP for an October marathon will be the focus for September. Maybe I'll be able to keep up with HermosaBoy on some of his easy/recovery runs.

SubDood

Congrats! That's impressive. Do you have a goal for your upcoming marathon?

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

I am not totally sure yet. The City of Lakes Half is in a couple of weeks (are you running subdood?) and I am going to give that a good effort, then consult some wise men I know. My BQ is 3:15 and if I can't do that coming off of this buildup, I'll be awfully disappointed. Hopefully Twin Cities doesn't meet the same fate as the last marathon we lined up for together.

SubDood

I am not totally sure yet. The City of Lakes Half is in a couple of weeks (are you running subdood?) and I am going to give that a good effort, then consult some wise men I know. My BQ is 3:15 and if I can't do that coming off of this buildup, I'll be awfully disappointed. Hopefully Twin Cities doesn't meet the same fate as the last marathon we lined up for together.

I think you'll break 3:15 based on some of your recent race times and your steady mileage buildup. Stay healthy! We shouldn't have the same weather issues we had in June (lightning), but snow suddenly seems like a real (if only slightly remote) possibility. I'll be at Twin Cities and will run the COL Half as a tune-up. Hope to see you at both. Good luck!

djschroeder4

Congrats on hitting your goal.  I am a little worried as there is a chance that jumping up to a 400 mile month when you have been averaging around 250 will cause more harm than good.  It is better to increase your weekly mileage by 5-10%.  I would take it easy over the next few weeks, even if you are feeling good because I want to see you BQ.  You may not feel it but there is likely a lot of microfiber damage.  With Victory and City of Lakes coming up, think about what is more important to you- 10K and half PRs or a BQ?

I just want to see you run well at TC.

FWIW, you should be able to go sub 3 in your marathon on a decent day.

Your half is faster than mine by about 2 minutes, and you are running 400 miles months compared to my 200-225.

I am running a marathon in October that I hope to get low 3's (3:07 last year) and if I can do that, sub 3 should be a piece of cake for you.

Good luck!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

Congrats on hitting your goal.  I am a little worried as there is a chance that jumping up to a 400 mile month when you have been averaging around 250 will cause more harm than good.  It is better to increase your weekly mileage by 5-10%.  I would take it easy over the next few weeks, even if you are feeling good because I want to see you BQ.  You may not feel it but there is likely a lot of microfiber damage.  With Victory and City of Lakes coming up, think about what is more important to you- 10K and half PRs or a BQ?

I just want to see you run well at TC.

Thanks. You are absolutely right. My paces in everyday workouts were slow and labored towards the end of the month. I really was running out of gas after 7 or 8 miles most days. The 400 mile month goal was kind of a one time opportunity. My daughter was at summer camp for three weeks so I had some extra time. if there is such a thing as junk miles, I definitely had some. Whether it is with Ron or someone else, I am hoping to plan out the next 5 weeks more carefully instead of just pounding out mileage.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

That is really amazing!  My best month ever was 350.  I know how hard it was to earn, so good for you!!

Leah, mother of dogs

Mpls Laker, 400 miles in one month? You are AMAZING!