Alcohol intolerance related to higher mileage? (Read 313 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I find that running makes beer taste even better.

For some odd reason the one I crave most after a long, hot workout is PBR.  A can of that in the shower is a little slice of Heaven! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

Just to temper this comment a little: there are good data suggesting that moderate coffee consumption protects against cancer. The statistical relationship holds, but is much weaker, for decaffeinated coffee.

There are similarly good data indicating that light alcohol intake can also have health benefits.

Too much is the problem. We can go there with many things. Vitamin A comes to mind as something that is particularly toxic.

Amen.  Caffeine has also been shown to reduce risk of type 2 diabetes.

I drink more red wine and coffee now than ever before, and for the first time in my life my cholesterol and blood sugar are normal despite other factors (weight, age, etc. ) going the wrong way.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

There are similarly good data indicating that light alcohol intake can also have health benefits.

Yes there is, but the amounts people consume almost always exceed the point at which the possible benefits outweigh the risks.

The cut-off is, on average, at about 1/4 of a small glass of wine a day.

The trouble with the way things are reported in the media is that the balance it usually omitted: "booze lowers risk of heart disease" might be a headline. But there's a failure to point out that at the same time it also increases the risk of liver disease (for example).

For the vast majority of people if health is your only consideration you're better off just not drinking. Of course most of us have a few drinks. But we shouldn't kid ourselves. We do this because we think that the enjoyment derived is worth the risk to health, not because of some spurious health benefit from the booze.

I came off a little strong sorry about that.  I am overly vocal when it comes to certain substances. Only from what I have seen or dealt with personally. Keep it in moderation and you will be ok. The hard part is resisting the chemical addiction.

As far as alcohol and water, the rule I heard was one glass of water per one alcohol beverage ?? I think it was for a hangover reduction thing though. May work for your headache though.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

DoppleBock

I get a headache drinking booze if I am dehydrated.

Most my friends who have tried to increase their mileage and failed is because they fail to increase their h20 intake.  I am a heavy sweater, so at 80-100 miles per week I need to drink a minimum of 120 ounces a day (You may be much less) and there are some days I am > 200 ounces with in run drinking.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I am not sure if mentally it is a reward thing ?  I tend to avoid alcohol at times in training, because I want to stay hydrated and get up early in the morning.

But Zoomy - I am with you.  If I just got done with a long hard workout (Cold or hot) - Nothing more I crave than beer.  I drive 1 hour down to a trail and usually run 4-4.5 hours.  All I want when I cam done is beer ... everytime.  Now I have never actually broughgt beer to drink one right afterward and I am too sweaty to stop on the way home, but it does consume my thoughts.

For some odd reason the one I crave most after a long, hot workout is PBR.  A can of that in the shower is a little slice of Heaven! Big grin

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The post-race beer in the shower is my favorite part about running races.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But Zoomy - I am with you.  If I just got done with a long hard workout (Cold or hot) - Nothing more I crave than beer.  I drive 1 hour down to a trail and usually run 4-4.5 hours.  All I want when I cam done is beer ... everytime.  Now I have never actually broughgt beer to drink one right afterward and I am too sweaty to stop on the way home, but it does consume my thoughts.

The funny thing is that I rarely drink more than 1-2 beers in a setting (Wine is another story!), but I'm with you...sometimes just thinking about that post-race/workout beer in the shower is enough to make me pick up the pace toward those last couple of miles.  Horse doesn't smell the barn, horse smells hops!!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Best Present Ever

The funny thing is that I rarely drink more than 1-2 beers in a setting (Wine is another story!), but I'm with you...sometimes just thinking about that post-race/workout beer in the shower is enough to make me pick up the pace toward those last couple of miles.  Horse doesn't smell the barn, horse smells hops!!

I must be some kind of freak.  I don't drink much, and alcohol of any kind is the last thing I want when I've been hot and sweaty.  I think the beer-running connection is just plain weird.

DoppleBock

For me - I love beer.  Beer is associated with pleasure / reward.  I will avoid beer for periods for the greater good of training.  So I think this is where the difference is ... I will never crave scotch as a reward or after a hard workout ... but I did not like scotch in the 1st place.  For you maybe it is chocolate or some other indulgence.

I must be some kind of freak.  I don't drink much, and alcohol of any kind is the last thing I want when I've been hot and sweaty.  I think the beer-running connection is just plain weird.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I do enjoy a frosty cold adult beverage after a long day, especially on the front porch in the summertime, while I throw balls for my dogs.  That has to be one of my favorite things to do.  But when you get right down to it I love running and not having a headache more.  I am going to make more of an effort to drink more water during and after my runs, and maybe I will just stick to my home brew which doesn't seem to bother me as much.  Thanks again for the advice.  I wish I had been less stubborn about bringing water on my runs long before now, since I drink definitely noticed that I feel better and have more energy when I can drink a little bit every few minutes.  I am hoping to do a 100 mile week soon.  That I will probably celebrate with a brew no matter what it does to my head!

Leah, mother of dogs

localoutoftowner

With regards to sodium, most people who drink lots of water usually make up for it in their diet enough to where they don't flirt with hyponatremia. Just be conscious of electrolyte replacement and water consumption, especially during the summer and with long runs.

zonykel

I suppose there are no Hash House Harriers here (I'm not part of that group). I think their slogan is that they are a drinking club with a running problem.

in any case, I drink a lot less now than when I was in my 20s. After I got married, I just didn't go out as much and I drink maybe a beer or two while watching a football game.

a beer impacts me now more than before, but I wouldn't say I'm intolerant to alcohol. My ability to process it has been lowered, though.

A Saucy Wench

With regards to the original question, I find my tolerance goes UP with  marathons.  I can drink like a fish following a marathon and barely get tipsy, where my normal tolerance is not much

This may have something to do with a) I consume a fair bit of liquid during marathons and am not a terribly heavy sweater, I usually end up craving salt.  I may be overhydrating.  And b) I crave fat and protein after a marathon, not really carbs.  Fat slows alcohol absorbtion pretty well.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

With regards to the original question, I find my tolerance goes UP with  marathons.  I can drink like a fish following a marathon and barely get tipsy, where my normal tolerance is not much

Now I know where all that Yazoo goes after Monkey.