Headlamp (Read 1877 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Don't worry about needing a light with a strap that goes over the head.  Even when running, the strap around the head works just fine.

If I get behind a runner that is using a handheld light I get brutally nauseous. If those knuckle lights take off I'm going to be in deep you-know-what when trying to race.

For me the strap around the head gives me a headache, and in the summer it chafes too much (But I sweat a lot, too).  I've also tried the clip-on lights that go on the end of a hat visor - they didn't give off enough light.  So right now I run with a Maglite-style handheld flashlight that I got at Costco.  I like the bright wide beam it gives, and like being able to point the beam wherever I want.  I'm intrigued by the knuckle lights and the idea of having a light in my hands but still having my hands free in case I stumble or have to hit a ditch.  Not sure if I'm $40 worth of intrigued though. 

xor

I run with a handheld too.  For one, the headlamp strap/band gives me a headache sometimes (and makes me wear my hat backward).  For two, I get better depth perception... by a lot.  And I can point it at what I want to see without shifting my whole head.  As a bonus, I'm less likely to blind someone else. 

Then yesterday, one of my running buddies broke the news to me: the skip-around beam of a handheld makes some folks, including this particular buddy, want to barf.

What to do, what to do.

I run with a handheld too.  For one, the headlamp strap/band gives me a headache sometimes (and makes me wear my hat backward).  For two, I get better depth perception... by a lot.  And I can point it at what I want to see without shifting my whole head.  As a bonus, I'm less likely to blind someone else. 

Then yesterday, one of my running buddies broke the news to me: the skip-around beam of a handheld makes some folks, including this particular buddy, want to barf.

What to do, what to do.

Device a way to clip that clip on to the front of your shorts. or tie the headlamp around your waist

xor

Crotchlamp!

Prince of Fatness

Crotchlamp!

Be careful when clipping it on!

Not at it at all. 

Crotchlamp!

right, couldn't find the right word.

xor

It shines very far, but the battery burns out quickly.

jpdeaux

I'm with SRL. I have a Princeton Tec headlamp, but most often I carry it in my hand when I carry it at all. The strap annoys my head and seems to make my eyes hurt to focus on the one bright spot for a long time. I find myself wrapping the strap a couple of times around my fingers so I can carry it pointed forward easily. Viola! Knuckle lights. I'll have to try those.

Full disclosure: I mostly run on roads and alone, so I don't often encounter other runners' lights and have streetlights to help a lot of the time.

AXes

For one, the headlamp strap/band gives me a headache sometimes (and makes me wear my hat backward).  For two, I get better depth perception... by a lot.  And I can point it at what I want to see without shifting my whole head.

Headlamps do the same to me, plus sometimes with the added bonus of motion sickness.

Think I got the idea from someone on RA, but I extend the headlamp's strap all the way and wear it around my waist.  Not ideal, but for me its better than headlamp or handheld.  After a few times, it is a little like wearing a running belt.  If this was in the swamp, someone could make a strap-on joke.

I use an $8 Coleman from Walmart, but guessing you could do the same with the better brands.

Do you know the feeling I know? When your legs have disappeared, and there is only your heart, your lungs, and your eyes skimming disembodied through the air? - Jeff

Marquess of Utopia

petzl e+lite

This is the only light I run with anymore. And the Petzl Signal is a great tail light.

Crotchlamp!

If this was in the swamp, someone could make a Fleshlight joke.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I have a Black Diamond Sprinter. I like it. It's super bright, it plugs in to charge (and came w/ adapters to use in other countries), it's comfortable and both the angle of the light and the strap are easily adjustable, . It has a red light on the back that can be set a few different ways (strobe, blinking, etc.). It's also come in handy around the house a few times when I've needed a flashlight. It's probably been 4 or 5 months since I've used or charged it, and when I tried it just now, still super bright. The only downside is that it was fairly expensive, $80ish IIRC.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Petzle MYO XP........... http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamps/myo-series/myo-xp

I have had one for about 6 years and it is awesome.  I mostly use it for runs when there is no moonlight or where I run through heavy tree canopy where it gets very dark.  I also use it for camping trips and it comes in handy around the house when I need two free hands while doing honey-dos.

I have the over-the-top head strap because without it I would need it too tight and that causes me headaches.  Just a thin fleece beanie during the winter is about as comfortable as it gets and in 2 minutes I hardly realize it is on.

When (if) this one craps out I will definitely replace it with the same model.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

I also have the Myo XP and definitely recommend it.  Good battery life, variation in brightness and beam deflection (plus the flashing mode) to suit where I'm running and what I need the light for (to be visible, to see into the distance, to watch the ground etc).  I also use the overhead strap because that means I can wear the band looser.  I've found it is great for running and also for mountaineering and hiking, which makes it perfect for me.  I was worried I'd find it heavy because of the battery pack, but actually you really don't notice it, or you certainly don't when using the overhead strap.  It's coped really well with heavy rain, heavy snow and being treated badly by me and crushed against rocks, into sacks etc.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

The shirtless wonder

What are the strobe effects on headlamps intended for?  Stunning prey?