cross-training for a HM? (Read 120 times)

I'm planning my first half in June.  I've been trained for the distance before, but I managed to get injured (the first time was a fluke accident, the second was my own fault for over-training).  Anyway, I've been following Higdon's Novice 2 plan, which calls for x-training one day a week and 4 days of running.  It's been working great til this point as I had hockey once a week, but the season ended this week leaving me with only 4 days a week of training.  What should I do now to x-train, or should I just put an easy run on that day?  (I've done 5 days a week before, so I know I can do it).

'No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch'

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"  - Peter Maher

"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run."  -Monte Davis

Julia1971

All in for Boston

I think the key is just to find something that isn't going to trash your legs so you can still get your workouts in.  Is there something else you like to do?  It seems to me like a lot of runners like to bike or swim for cross training for aerobic cross training.  You could also do some weight lifting, yoga, or pilates if you want to focus on improving your overall strength and flexibility.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin

day after day sameness

HH plans have you x-train -or- go for an easy run.  Go for the run to build base miles.

I've done my best to live the right way; I get up every morning and go to work each day...