"The Cowtown" 10K Race Report - Disappointing! (Read 852 times)

Why is it sideways?

That's good advice by Mike. Racing does take practice, and you will have a breakout race (or two) this year. Relish them when they happen, because as you see, they don't always. Good luck, Derek, and keep us informed!
    JakeKnight

Derek, your first sentence says it all--this was your first 10K. Your 2nd race ever. Don't sweat it. Racing takes practice. You've come a long way and you will continue to make huge progress. Don't ever worry about bad races or workouts, they will happen. Don't ever consider a good race to be a fluke, good races are what are supposed to happen--and they will. Especially when you are still in the process of building mileage, it is sometimes hard to see the results in races--your body is adapting to the new workload. My suggestions: 1. Consider this a learning experience and move on (sounds like you already have), 2. Race more--it takes practice, 3. Leave the Garmin and any other gadgets at home for races and some workouts--learn to feel the race, 4. Don't worry too much about formal speedwork at this point, but DO change the pace from time to time--mix it up, 5. Have fun. -Mike
      Well, holy kee-rap. What he said. Just have patience, Derek. For a while maybe, forget the books, the charts, the graphs, your future Boston plans, your need to analyze .... and just go run. Enjoy it. Be patient. You have your eye so firmly fixed on some pretty long-term goals that you're missing the journey. Wow. Either the hippie is rubbing off on me, or I just got a second-hand whiff of whatever Trent's smoking. I sound like Mr. Miyagi. Quit sweatin' the details. Run easy, run often, once in a while run hard. The improvement will come when you stop focusing on it so much.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------