2021 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 267 times)

robin from maine

Dick Hoyt just died. RIP.

CalBears

Interesting quote from the recent BAA announcement:

Participants in the in-person race may be expected to produce up to two negative COVID-19 tests prior to Monday, October 11, regardless of vaccination status

I am not sure why? Are there any instances of the vaccine not working and vaccinated people still spreading the virus. Or just an attempt to play it extremely safe?

But all in all seems like the marathon is going to happen and that's a great news.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Participants in the in-person race may be expected to produce up to two negative COVID-19 tests prior to Monday, October 11, regardless of vaccination status

I am not sure why? Are there any instances of the vaccine not working and vaccinated people still spreading the virus. Or just an attempt to play it extremely safe?

But all in all seems like the marathon is going to happen and that's a great news.

It just makes them feel better about it. By "may be expected" it means it will be required. There won't be a "oh you didn't get two tests? that's fine. It isn't requried." May vs Shall does matter. They're going to play it extremely safe even though the waiver would probably make it impossible to sue the organization if you can even prove you obtained it in the 6 hours you spent running the Boston Marathon and not anywhere else (hotel, food place, airport, at home sitting on a park bench from a random person walking by handing it out, etc.). They might as well say "you must have a vaccine card to apply for the race" because the negative tests are probably going to need to be within the same week within a specific time before the Boston marathing...like "must have two tests in the 10 days leading up to the race."

Marathon is going to happen because Boston is in need of money. Too bad it's going to ruin all hopes of the 2019 times ever counting for anything. After this year I expect them to say 2019 times can't be used anymore and they've gone back to the way things were because COVID 19.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Dick Hoyt just died. RIP.

Insperatianal-along with Terry Fox

Running Problem

Problem Child

No athlete visage at the start. Rolling start based on what his you ride. So it’s going to be nothing like a Boston marathon and a complete money grab for them to wipe out 2018 and 2019 qualifying times and say you had your chance to run but things are going back to normal.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

FSBD

No athlete visage at the start. Rolling start based on what his you ride. So it’s going to be nothing like a Boston marathon and a complete money grab for them to wipe out 2018 and 2019 qualifying times and say you had your chance to run but things are going back to normal.

What the ---- are you talking about?

The amount of animosity you have toward this marathon is weird.  If you have this much of a problem with it don't do it.

First of all, everything in life is a money grab.  Gasoline, groceries, marathons, sporting events, rent, mortgage, taxes are all things where other people are trying to get as much from you as the market will bear.  Yes, a company is trying to provide a service for money.  If you don't want the service or don't want to pay the money then don't take the service.

Second of all, I am looking forward to the rolling start.  Sitting around in a high school field for hours, with intermittent standing in line for a bathroom is not why I run Boston.  I run it for the crowds, the support, the organization, and the comradery with other runners.  Also, I love the city of Boston.

Third of all, yes they do have to restart the qualifying window to get things back on track.  Again, they are exchanging a service for money.  I give them credit for trying to be as democratic about it as possible.  But like everything else that has been F-ed up this last year it has to regain some semblance of normalcy in a post pandemic world.  Requalify, run for charity, or pick a different race.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

The amount of animosity you have toward this marathon is weird.  If you have this much of a problem with it don't do it.

First of all, everything in life is a money grab.  Gasoline, groceries, marathons, sporting events, rent, mortgage, taxes are all things where other people are trying to get as much from you as the market will bear.  Yes, a company is trying to provide a service for money.  If you don't want the service or don't want to pay the money then don't take the service.

Second of all, I am looking forward to the rolling start.  Sitting around in a high school field for hours, with intermittent standing in line for a bathroom is not why I run Boston.  I run it for the crowds, the support, the organization, and the comradery with other runners.  Also, I love the city of Boston.

Third of all, yes they do have to restart the qualifying window to get things back on track.  Again, they are exchanging a service for money.  I give them credit for trying to be as democratic about it as possible.  But like everything else that has been F-ed up this last year it has to regain some semblance of normalcy in a post pandemic world.  Requalify, run for charity, or pick a different race.

💯💯💯💯💯💯💯

Running Problem

Problem Child

The race has announced there won't be an athlete village. It's a rolling start. with the potential to require two negative tests prior to running the race to make sure it's save for COVID 19. I'm glad you were looking forward to this. I was looking forward to seeing people from this forum and elsewhere getting ready and not just start it like it's a small town marathon with 100 people in it. Crowds might not even be allowed due to positive test rates going up and social distancing. No animosity towards this marathon specifically. Just updating the thread on the race in case we aren't all on face page or instant twit gram thingy.

If I get in I'll run and can tell people how my Boston wasn't the same as anyone elses due to COVID 19 pandemic. I think you have some animosity towards me.

VDOT 53.37 

Julia1971

I caught a snippet of Dr. Fauci testifying at a hearing today and I think he suggested that people who have been vaccinated can still be carriers even though they won't get sick.  So, it could be that they're requiring the test to make sure race participants aren't bringing the virus to Boston?  Just a guess.

Anonymous Guest

2021 jackets are on the adidas website....too lazy to link from my phone but they look good.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

2021 jackets are on the adidas website....too lazy to link from my phone but they look good.

The classic blue and yellow.

https://www.adidas.com/us/search?q=boston%20celebration

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

wow. I like the jacket and yet all I can think of is asking people "was that the virtual year where anyone could run it anywhere?"

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

wow. I like the jacket and yet all I can think of is asking people "was that the virtual year where anyone could run it anywhere?"

I’m sure you’d look really cool in a blue jacket with a splash of yellow. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’m sure you’d look really cool in a blue jacket with a splash of yellow. 👍

Number two reason I won’t get one.

VDOT 53.37 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

To be honest it's much better than: "Is that the year they blew up the finish-line?"

Take what you can get.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do