Garmin Instinct vs FR 55 (Read 42 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm tentatively planning to pick up a Garmin watch for my 20 year old DS so that he will no longer have to ask how far we've gone during our runs as well as offer incentive for him to do solo runs outdoors, rather than running on our basement treadmill when it's perfectly lovely outdoors (I suspect his apprehension to run outside without me is somewhat Autism-related, in spite of him knowing roughly how far our various regular routes are). I think he'd benefit from logging here on RA, too. Seeing the miles add-up is really motivating.

The Forerunner 55 would be perfect, but I noticed that the 3 year old Instinct is $20 cheaper at Target. Maybe the Forerunner will go on sale around Black Friday, but maybe not...and there's always the risk of supply/shipping chain issues, this year.

Is anyone using the Instinct? Good, bad, ugly? My biggest concern is that the last time I bought an "old" clearanced Garmin (Vivoactive HR) it was buggy as hell and I tossed it in a drawer after <1 year. A friend bought 4 of the same and 2 ended up having to go back for replacement with refurbs.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

dhuffman63

Trails

I have the Instinct and I really like it.  There are a lot of activities to chose from and it's got fairly good battery time, the last 50k I did took 12 hours (was helping a new person who walked) and it still had a good charge.

I recently switched over to the Polar M430. How you taken a look at it?

https://www.polar.com/en/products/sport/M430-gps-running-watch

I use this script to pull my data off the Polar site.

https://github.com/jhujhul/export-polar-flow-sessions

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I recently switched over to the Polar M430. How you taken a look at it?

I would, but I kind of want to stick with Garmin, simply for the ease factor in transferring his workouts directly to RA. I use an Apple watch and am happy with it, except it requires an intermediate app to load workouts to Garmin Connect so that they show on RA. I know he won't be willing to hassle with that.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have the Instinct and I really like it.  There are a lot of activities to chose from and it's got fairly good battery time, the last 50k I did took 12 hours (was helping a new person who walked) and it still had a good charge.

That's great to hear! Yeah, the battery life thing is kind of a big deal, though it looks like the FR 55 is about the same. He has a FitBit and already grouses about having to charge that once/week (another reason we won't consider an Apple Watch for him -- there's no way he'll put it on the charger every day and remember to put it back on his wrist).

~ Sarah Kay

CalBears

Of course I would take FR 55 - no doubt about it. I am sure Instinct is a great watch, but it is obvious that FR55 is better - longer battery, better resolution, a little bit bigger display size, considerably lighter. Come on - trying to save $20 for $200 product? No wanting a better, more advanced watch that might serve you for years? Not sure why it is even a question Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is the FR 55 a better product, though? The RRP on the Instinct is $300. Battery life is nearly the same (he rarely runs >90 minutes, so that's not a huge issue) and it measures a bunch of metrics that the FR 55 doesn't, too -- elevation, skiing, open-water swimming/water sports, etc. From the look of Garmin's comparison chart it would likely work better as a bike computer, in a pinch (since his ancient Edge 500 barely holds a charge, anymore). I suspect the Instinct might take a beating at his job better, too. His FitBit is pretty trashed and the bands don't hold up well at all.

My biggest concern really boils-down to whether the Instinct is reliable.

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

I received an email for Garmin FR 45 sale of $179 so that can be in mix as well as the FR 245.

The 55 is likely better option if main goal is for road running and aiming to improve  performance. 

The Instinct also works for road running but would be better for runners who want to mix in other activities outdoors regularly. Is this once or twice a week or once a month or less. Having these outdoor features and rarely using them it not a reason to get the watch.

One thing to ask yourself is if it’s a “running watch” to improve performance or a “do everything” watch including work. There is the answer.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

More of a Jack-of-all-trades watch would probably benefit him more. Running, but also cycling, XC skiing (if we ever get another Winter with decent snow *sigh*), hiking, snorkeling/swimming, steps at work, sleep tracking, etc. He's not at all a competitive runner. He runs for fitness and enjoyment. He likes to know how far we've gone, but isn't super concerned with pace or "training." I'm still trying to convince him that a half-marathon is a good goal to have, even if he never runs another one. And/or maybe a sprint du. He did a sprint tri a couple of years ago as part of a PE class, but didn't enjoy the swim leg in cold water while wearing a wetsuit.

~ Sarah Kay

need2tri

Checkout Amazon. They have upto 40% off garmin products today

More of a Jack-of-all-trades watch would probably benefit him more. Running, but also cycling, XC skiing (if we ever get another Winter with decent snow *sigh*), hiking, snorkeling/swimming, steps at work, sleep tracking, etc. He's not at all a competitive runner. He runs for fitness and enjoyment. He likes to know how far we've gone, but isn't super concerned with pace or "training." I'm still trying to convince him that a half-marathon is a good goal to have, even if he never runs another one. And/or maybe a sprint du. He did a sprint tri a couple of years ago as part of a PE class, but didn't enjoy the swim leg in cold water while wearing a wetsuit.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Checkout Amazon. They have upto 40% off garmin products today

Ooh...it's really like early Black Friday/Cyber Monday!

~ Sarah Kay