Running issue (Read 125 times)

Stolenelection

Hi all.

Ive been running regularly for about 3 years now.  In 2019, I really ampd up.  4-6 miles a day and 6 half marathons.  My PR was 2:12.  My basic daily mile was around 9:30-10:30.  Lately, the last few months, I am about 90 seconds slower and I feel like I have no stamina!  I dont know whats wrong.  Any tips?  I have tried lots of changes.  new shoes, diet, energy bars or drinks, empty stomach, full stomach, coffee, water.  No Injuries, 42, Male, about 240 lbs, 6'2.

runmichigan

What does a typical week look like for you?  How many days are you running a week?  When you say you are running 4-6 miles, are you running this same distance each day you run and at the same pace?  I recommend a long run on one day a week.  Start with 8 miles at a pace about a minute slower than your normal run pace.   Increase your long run by 1 to 2 miles a week until you get to about 15 miles, but keep the pace about a minute slower than your normal run pace.  During the week have a mix of easy runs (3-4 miles) and slightly faster runs (5-9 miles) runs.  Alternate the easy runs with your slightly faster runs.

240 pounds seems a bit heavy for your height, but it is hard to know without more information about your build.  Carrying extra weight can impact your stamina and slow your running.

SMART Approach

I likely see your issue. You are pushing too much in your runs always and are probably on a regression phase from a lack of true "aerobic" volume work.. Your PR Half pace is near 10 min mile and some of your training runs are 9:30 pace??? You need more structure in your plan and a coach can help. I am happy to email you my free article, HOW TO TRAIN SMARTER. Just message me or email tcharnetski@att.net  It will explain the importance of structure and what you may be going through. Many inexperienced runners go through what you are. Fortunately, you have been able to keep running.....many newbies breakdown because of their training techniques and get injured.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Your symptoms of sudden slowdown and no stamina following an increase in mileage are consistent with overtraining, especially at your weight.  I suggest taking a week off, then reduce your weekly mileage by half for 2 or 3 months.  A 2:12 half marathon race pace (10:00 MPM) suggests a typical easy run training pace of 11:00 to 12:00 MPM.

I had something similar happen almost two years ago.  I've been running 2000 to 2100 miles per year since 2008 at a easy run pace of 9:45 to 10:00 MPM.  Then I slowed down to about 10:30 to 11:00 in May 2018, and stayed at that pace.  My effort was the same, I just ran slower.  My October marathon times slowed by over a half hour in 2018 and 2019.  Starting July 2020, I cut my monthly mileage from 180-200 miles per month (summer mileage) down to 120-130 miles per month.  About two months ago, my easy running speed increased from 10:30-11:00 MPM to 9:50-10:00 MPM.  I had a complete medical checkup, and the doctors said I was in perfect health.  I think that my aging body will not tolerate the same mileage as earlier, and that I went from training to overtraining.  Male, 68, 145 lbs, 5'10".

I ran six half marathons between 2004 and 2008, with times from 1:58 to 1:46.  My normal training run pace was 1:00 to 2:00 MPM slower than my half marathon race pace, which is consistent with typical recommendations.

Stolenelection

Thanks for all your replies.  When I first started running, I was about 295 pounds.  I let myself go for a while, my ideal weight is around 200-215, but I havent been that low since around 2010.  I usually run daily, but I will take a day off here and there.  I have never ran more than 15 miles in a day, it just really doesnt interest me that much.  I recently moved from South Florida to Oregon due to covid, I liked running in florida more, but it wasnt much different during the summer.  The winter has been a little harder on my knees due to the cold.  I have never suffered any injury from running or otherwise.  I did have plantar when I first started due to being a fat slob, but I just ran through it.

GinnyinPA

Another possibility is ferritin deficiency. A few years ago, I noticed that running had become much harder and I was slowing down. I attributed it to summer heat and humidity, but it didn't get any better when autumn came. After reading about low iron and runners, I asked for a blood test. Although the finger prick showed no anemia, the ferritin test showed that I was very low in iron stores. Supplements have helped, though I am still on the low end of normal.

Stolenelection

Appreciate you all.  I will make some more adjustments and see whats up.  I dont think it has to do with training though.  I have never liked running, even being an athlete for most of my life, I have never liked the sport of plain running.  Always loved basketball and football.

Why are you running if you don’t like it.

also are you doing any weightlifting.

is your job physical.

Appreciate you all.  I will make some more adjustments and see whats up.  I dont think it has to do with training though.  I have never liked running, even being an athlete for most of my life, I have never liked the sport of plain running.  Always loved basketball and football.

Once you start adding a "scoring" component, I think you'll find it more interesting. Maybe a mile or 5k for time once a week? After a warmup of course. I know this is not a good "training plan", but it might be a good motivator for a while. Like golf or target shooting, it just leaves you thinking "I know I could have done a bit better" every time, making you look forward to the next try.

In HS, I went down a free-throw rabbit hole. At least once a week I wouldn't stop a free-throw practice session until I made 100 in a row. Seems boring to shoot free throws for sometimes an hour, but I never got bored, because there was a goal to do better. There was frustration, especially missing the 96th one and having to start all over, but never boredom or feeling like it was a chore.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Stolenelection

Hi!  it does make me feel good, I just dont enjoy it like other people do.  I do some weights, was doing much more until our corrupt govt shut us down.  I am a travel agent, my job isn't physical.  Thats why I like to run, gets me moving for 60 minutes plus a day.

Why are you running if you don’t like it.

also are you doing any weightlifting.

is your job physical.

Stolenelection

Hey Bill!  I also went to Oregon.  Alum 2008.  Thanks for your tips!  FOr sure, hated missing a long streak!  I am a big basketball player, or at least was.  Are you playing anywhere?

Once you start adding a "scoring" component, I think you'll find it more interesting. Maybe a mile or 5k for time once a week? After a warmup of course. I know this is not a good "training plan", but it might be a good motivator for a while. Like golf or target shooting, it just leaves you thinking "I know I could have done a bit better" every time, making you look forward to the next try.

In HS, I went down a free-throw rabbit hole. At least once a week I wouldn't stop a free-throw practice session until I made 100 in a row. Seems boring to shoot free throws for sometimes an hour, but I never got bored, because there was a goal to do better. There was frustration, especially missing the 96th one and having to start all over, but never boredom or feeling like it was a chore.

Hey Bill!  I also went to Oregon.  Alum 2008.  Thanks for your tips!  FOr sure, hated missing a long streak!  I am a big basketball player, or at least was.  Are you playing anywhere?

Go Ducks!

I can't do lateral movement stuff for very long before my Left knee gives out (tennis, basketball, etc) from a basketball injury in HS that showed up more and more as I got older. I did a very nice offensive charge with my hand near the rim, and my knee was the first thing to hit the floor after the collision. Ball went in, though! (didn't count) Every once in a while I go shoot baskets, I think the last time I played was 15 years ago.

Have you considered a treadmill desk so you can be walking while doing travel-agent stuff?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Stolenelection

Gotcha.

I have considered it, but never do it.  I should though.  I do want to get a desk where I can stand and work, thats goal 1 after all this covid stuff goes "away"

Ran two miles yesterday, felt OK.  nothing special.

Go Ducks!

I can't do lateral movement stuff for very long before my Left knee gives out (tennis, basketball, etc) from a basketball injury in HS that showed up more and more as I got older. I did a very nice offensive charge with my hand near the rim, and my knee was the first thing to hit the floor after the collision. Ball went in, though! (didn't count) Every once in a while I go shoot baskets, I think the last time I played was 15 years ago.

Have you considered a treadmill desk so you can be walking while doing travel-agent stuff?

davidg123

I have the same problem, it was because at the beginning training was not constant, and later I ran too much and started to feel bad. The problem is also that now it is more difficult to find time for sports. I like running, so it is better to go back to the simple one and gradually increase the distance.