numb toes (Read 148 times)

For the docs in the group I appreciate any guidance you can give...

For the past week I've been getting some numbness along the tops of my toes in my right foot.  No pain, no weakness.  Doesn't bother me while running, usually an annoyance while I'm sitting.

I am an experienced runner, my mileage has been moderate (about 20 a week lately) and at 195 my weight is up about 10 since last yr - I am 6'3".  I am not training intensely right now, mainly easy miles with some strides and occasional tempo.  I am 38, a life long athlete.

Rule out diabetes.

My online research keeps bringing me to spinal stenosis/herniated disc.  My family has a history of back problems with several of them having surgery.  Herniated discs, spinal fusion, spinal stenosis.  None of them are athletes.  If this continues I know the path is see my doc, get MRI, etc.  I really do not want to have surgery, etc.  I get occasional back pain.  Nothing debilitating.  I get tight after sitting long periods.  My range of motion and flexibility isn't great but it hasn't gotten worse recently.  Since I do stretches for it I have not had it limit what I could do except for a period of time when I was 18-20 years old.  I'm 90%+ sure this is what its going to be so let's assume this unless you think its something else...

I had done PT for tight IT/hips, etc and still do the stretches.  I also lift weights and play ice hockey.  I can guess if I see my doc I'll get sent for MRI.  So my questions are:

1.  Can I continue to run?  Am I risking more harm?

2.  Can I continue to play ice hockey?  I don't have problems skating and my back is always sore after playing hockey so no difference there.  The season is getting ready to start and if its not a good idea I don't want to put out the $.

3.  If I end up having surgery would I still be able to be this athletic?

4.  Other ways I can manage without surgery or getting hooked on narcs?

#artbydmcbride

Shoe laced too tight?

Runners run

Hip Redux

I have a feeling that you would know if you had a herniated disc because it's extremely painful.   Yes, numbness in the toes is one symptom, but it sounds like you're missing the other chunk of symptoms that would lead to a serious disc issue needing surgery.  Heck, I have herniated discs and I haven't "needed" surgery (yet).

I would imagine that shoe fit or style would be a more immediate thing to rule out, along with postural issues while sititng.  Look at the simple stuff first.   And of course, if it continues, definitely see a doctor.    Good luck!

hog4life

I have experienced this before an have 2 different things that I adjust that seems to work. First, loosen the shoes laces...... now loosen them some more. Second, try different socks.

This happened to me last spring. It was definitely the shoes. Switched to a wider toe box and the problem went away!

arca

Hi - I had this when I was running in a new set of shoes. No idea why, as I have always run Asics 21xx. Maybe I've had five pairs of them in succession. Anyway, I swapped to brooks adrenaline last spring and it's gone..

Let me join in with the check the shoelaces contingent.  Classic over-tightening symptom for me.  If that doesn't solve the problem, then schedule the Dr. Appt.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yes, sometimes seemingly trivial things can make a big difference.  I had a period when my little toes were taking a beating, getting red, swollen, black toenails, and I couldn't figure out what was causing it, since I had been using the same shoes for a couple of years with no problem   Turned out, it was the socks.

Hoodoo Guru

For the past week I've been getting some numbness along the tops of my toes in my right foot.  No pain, no weakness.  Doesn't bother me while running, usually an annoyance while I'm sitting.

Gosh, we all have some little annoyances, don't we?  The occasional twinge of PF, general lower back pain, pain under right knee today, pain over left knee yesterday.  I thought hockey players were tougher than this : )

Talking about back surgery for occasional toe numbness seems a bit excessive.  Serious question.  Are you a hypochondriac?  I'm not judging, just wondering if you worry about every ache and pain like this.  I know a lot of people who do.

The tangents are moot.

Thanks all for responding.

I had thought of the lace thing but I know that's not it.  I've tried loose enough that the shoe almost flops off before and after 20+ years of running its not it.  I wear size EEE.

I actually took a couple days off and the problem continued but then ran a couple of times including 7 miles yesterday and now the problem's gone.  3rd day in a row now with no symptoms there.  I continue with low back soreness but...well...so what else is new since I was 18 or 19.  I'm going to chalk it up to one of those things.

I had heightened awareness of back stuff due to family history of back issues and rereading my unclear original post, I think I meant that if I eventually had surgery as so many in my family had, could I still run and play hockey.  I've run a 5 mile race on a torn hamstring and skated numerous games with broken toes so I have a fairly high pain tolerance...pain OK...can't feel it at all is weird.

Latent Runner

Let me join in with the check the shoelaces contingent.  Classic over-tightening symptom for me.  If that doesn't solve the problem, then schedule the Dr. Appt.

Yup, I have the same issue as well; if I keep'em a bit loose, my toes don't go numb on longer runs.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                        • 2-mile: 13:49
                        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                        • 5-Mile: 37:24
                        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13