Improving Times on my Own, How? (Read 134 times)

highschoolrunner

After receiving excellent feedback on my last topic, I'd figure I'd post another to see what other important tips I could learn as a high school runner. It seems that speaking with others than my coach is to my benefit since we had gotten in a little dispute over me running what I thought was necessary after practice since her plans she applied for the team had not applied to me since I was running a meet the day after my teammates had their's the day before. Long story short, I got yelled at about running extra mileage super easy to the point where I felt I could sing while I was running because I took the advice of what others had mentioned on the last thread about adding extra mileage to improve my times. Since then I have dropped 22 seconds in the two mile, currently running a 10:38 but I still feel like I am capable of running faster, my mindset is there but my legs are at a point where they cannot physically handle the speed let alone my lungs. In creating this topic, I was curios to see if there are little things that I can do on my own aside from mileage. I know the usual core work and I like to throw a few push ups in there as well but I feel I am lacking essential work that say runners of the Oregon Distance Project do in the weight room after practice, based on what I've seen, it is all pretty light work as well, not putting to much stress but I am not aware of what I need to do. In writing this, I am just looking for more guidance on becoming a better runner because my heart is fully there in the races but I feel I still lack quality training. So if you all have any suggestions on what I can do to improve on my own aside from the extra mileage, please feel free to post your opinions as experienced runners, I appreciate it! Thanks!

BeeRunB

Visualization. Research how athletes use creative visualization. This is something that won't get you in trouble with your coach. Good luck. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Have you expressed this to your coach? That you feel you are lacking something?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.