Sometimes I'm glad I run solo... (Read 977 times)

I agree. I thought I found a running buddy....but she has been really flaky. I hate flaky. It pushes me even more to run just to prove I am more dedicated. This is why i run...because I don't have to depend on anyone else. It is nice to sometimes run with people that feel the same way about running...but those people seem hard to find.

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

I normally like running alone, but for anything over 15ish miles, I like running buddies. My running group - The Trail Snails - are awesome, but I don't run with them that often because the trail is a good half hour from my house. They are a really great, supportive, non competitive group of folks Smile and I wish I ran with them more. The good thing about running alone, for me, is choosing my own PACE.
      2009: BQ?
        I think that's the thing I like about running so much, you're alone! (Us moms understand what that's all about....dads too I'm sure.) Your own pace, your own schedule, your own thoughts, etc. Although, I also love to run where there are few if any people, so when you're a female, I think you're worried more about potential weirdos and those dogs we were talking about in another thread. Sorta takes the relaxation out a bit, so I like the extra "protection" running partners offer, as well as just getting you through it on longer runs!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think that's the thing I like about running so much, you're alone! (Us moms understand what that's all about....dads too I'm sure.) Your own pace, your own schedule, your own thoughts, etc. Although, I also love to run where there are few if any people, so when you're a female, I think you're worried more about potential weirdos and those dogs we were talking about in another thread. Sorta takes the relaxation out a bit, so I like the extra "protection" running partners offer, as well as just getting you through it on longer runs!
          Yup! I do find that I like running with another person from time to time, but I can't see running with a "group," per se. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I run occasionally with my son, 11yo who can comfortably make 6 miles. These are good slow runs for me I would not be able to run without him (legs don't want to slow down that much without help). All the rest of my runs are solo. I like to have that time to myself. A friend of mine is trying to hook me up with someone who runs trails - I guess for safety reasons it would be nice to have company in the hills. Ewa
            I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
              I run occasionally with my son, 11yo who can comfortably make 6 miles. These are good slow runs for me I would not be able to run without him (legs don't want to slow down that much without help). All the rest of my runs are solo. I like to have that time to myself. A friend of mine is trying to hook me up with someone who runs trails - I guess for safety reasons it would be nice to have company in the hills. Ewa
              That is great that your 11 yo can run 6 miles with you. Did it take him long to build up to that?

Michelle

I run with a group of people from my running club on Tuesday's and Saturdays. I like running with the group because there is such a range of pace I can run with whoever I choose that day. Sometimes there might be 40 people or so. Some days I run with the back-of-the-packers. Always entertaining and plenty of good conversation. Wink Other days I run toward the front of the group. It just depends on what I'm after that day. Sometimes I run alone in the middle of the pack, just taking advantage of the route and the water stops laid out by the club. I usually run with dh at least two other days per week. And then do a day or two on my own. I get the best of all three. Smile Teresa
                  That is great that your 11 yo can run 6 miles with you. Did it take him long to build up to that?
                  I am finding out that with kids it's more about mental strength than physical ability. I am quite sure he could run even further but his mind tells him otherwise. When we get home he doesn't rest but often goes outside and jumps around some more. I've been running with him on and off for almost a year now. Ewa
                  I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                    Hey, there are some other runners out there who prefer doing it solo. I swore off even racing about 15 years ago--just don't care for the culture, other smelly people, and having to pay to do it! Most of my shorter runs are solo but my son of 22 years will come home on week ends to run our long runs together. That, I must admit, is a very special time that we set aside for each other.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

madness baby

I enjoy my runs with my husband the most. We run together a couple of times a week, and I enjoy my other runs solo, as long as they're not too long. I would love have a dog for a running buddy one day! Smile
                      deb
                        Sometimes I run solo I'm almost walking! Yuck yuck. Can you tell I'm all sugared up snacking on Easter Bunny candy while making baskets!? Er- to you all you kids on here, what I mean is while I'm eating...uh...making some woven baskets...er...oh, never mind.
                          I tend to run solo, the only time I really run with someone else is a trainer from the gym I go to and only them out of some sadistic desire to have her correct my posture/technique/breathing etc etc as we are plodding along Roll eyes The absolute worst person to run with is my bf - he doesn't seem to get it that if I decide I'm going for a run I can go from couch to pavement in about 2 mins! I just grab my kit (which is probably in a heap on the floor) my trainers and my iPod and off I go. He has to: - check the weather forecast on TV and work out what to wear - get distracted by what's on TV and needs me to turn it off for him to get his focus back - search for his trainers from the back of the wardrobe - clean the mud off his trainers (doesn't matter how many times I've told him it doesn't matter) - get changed spraying liberal quantities of deoderant and talc and all sorts of other things - do his hair (?) - go through all his coat pockets and make a trip to the car to try and find his iPod - decide he wants to create a new playlist on his iPod so sit down at the computer - answer a few e-mails whilst he's there - have a drink of something - let the drink 'settle' - check he's got his phone/keys/drink/god knows what else all ready and a 101 other things before we finally get out on the roads! It drives me crazy as most of the time I could have run and been back in the shower by the time he's ready! Oh and he does that guy thing too where if you try and tell him to hurry up he slows down to a snails pace and gets distracted on purpose just to get a rise out of me!!
                          "Tough times don't last but tough people do." - A.C. Green
                            I tend to run solo, the only time I really run with someone else is a trainer from the gym I go to and only them out of some sadistic desire to have her correct my posture/technique/breathing etc etc as we are plodding along Roll eyes The absolute worst person to run with is my bf - he doesn't seem to get it that if I decide I'm going for a run I can go from couch to pavement in about 2 mins! I just grab my kit (which is probably in a heap on the floor) my trainers and my iPod and off I go. He has to: - check the weather forecast on TV and work out what to wear - get distracted by what's on TV and needs me to turn it off for him to get his focus back - search for his trainers from the back of the wardrobe - clean the mud off his trainers (doesn't matter how many times I've told him it doesn't matter) - get changed spraying liberal quantities of deoderant and talc and all sorts of other things - do his hair (?) - go through all his coat pockets and make a trip to the car to try and find his iPod - decide he wants to create a new playlist on his iPod so sit down at the computer - answer a few e-mails whilst he's there - have a drink of something - let the drink 'settle' - check he's got his phone/keys/drink/god knows what else all ready and a 101 other things before we finally get out on the roads! It drives me crazy as most of the time I could have run and been back in the shower by the time he's ready! Oh and he does that guy thing too where if you try and tell him to hurry up he slows down to a snails pace and gets distracted on purpose just to get a rise out of me!!
                            That's hilarious!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

vickispill, Your man sounds like a lot of women getting ready for a date. If you wore attire like you have in your picture, I am sure that would get many a man moving especially since you're from the UK. Big grin I must purchase a plane ticket and attend this Moonwalk in Hyde Park over there sometime with a (stuffed) technical bra (cause I am a dude) that has glowing leds along the seams hahaha What's the girl:guy ratio at this event? Thanks for the Laugh! modal ------------------------------------ I jog alone for the most part, but I may start running with someone who is going to be deployed to IRAQ later this year. Jogging for me is a way for me to decompress/relax, so I think it's best for me to go solo. Some people need buddy to help them get out the door though.

Vim