Shift work (Read 573 times)

Gstrobe188

My job requires that I work 7am - 3pm for 4 days than 2 days off. Then 3pm - 11pm for four days, 2 days off than 11pm - 7am the next four. Does anyone else have a similiar schedule, and what running routine works best for you?

5k 22:22, Quarter Marathon 52:45, Mini Duathlon 1:00:14

Long time ago (about 20 years), I worked in similar shift for about a year, we also worked 6 days a week with one day off.  I was not running at that time but used to practice other sport at 5 AM on the day of the morning shift, right after the night shift 7-8 AM, and 7-8 as well on the second shift days.  My shift times were slightly different, but that is the pattern I used to be consistent and needing a partner for my chosen sport.

The shifts do mess up our body rhythms and we do not perform equally well every day.  Usually the day of the shift change were the toughest but my playing partner had the same schedule so it kind of worked out, maybe take that as the recovery/off day for running? 

Menace to Sobriety

I've worked rotating shifts in the past, although not the same as yours. I always found it worked best if I worked out prior to day shifts and after night shifts. We worked 12 hours, 8:00 to 8:00. It wasn't easy getting out after being up all night, but if I did it immediately after work, with no "rest" time in between, it was easier to get it in. If I sat down for even 30 minutes, I'd get sleepy and it would be hard to get going. All this is predicated on getting adequate sleep. I was able to disciplined to get enough hours sleep regardless of shift. Some people  have a tough time sleeping during the day. Everyone is different. You'll probably have to experiment some to find out what works best for you. Maybe you can work your harder and longer runs in on your off days, get your easy runs in on 1st and 2nd and try to minimize the runs on 3rds. Good luck.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Kalsarikännit

It wasn't easy getting out after being up all night, but if I did it immediately after work, with no "rest" time in between, it was easier to get it in. If I sat down for even 30 minutes, I'd get sleepy and it would be hard to get going.

+1

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart