Sugar and Processed Foods (Read 393 times)

SheCan

I figure sugar is less of a demon than saturated fats.  I just try to do everything in moderation.  I know I could never cut out sugar completely, and don't really want to.

exactly.  Now I wish I ate less sugar.  I do seem to really crave it, but I try to eat lots of healthy veggies, and complex carbs.  Not a big meat eater, though I haven't given it up completely either-- nor plan on it.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

SheCan

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

its the pint of brandy right?

You bet.  The other ingredients might be optional.

SillyC

In 1796, life expectancy hovered around 24 years. A hundred years later it doubled to 48. In our modern world of air conditioners, hand washing and booster shots, you have a good chance of living 63 years, which is the world average. However, for those fortunate enough to live in a first-world country, lifespan jumps considerably.

Cecil, this is largely due to infant and under 5 mortality.   If people made it past early childhood back in the 1800s, they tended to do quite well and live to be old.

I run in some old cemeteries a lot, that definitely seems to be the case from the gravestones.  You'll find graves for a couple that lived to be in their 70s, surrounded by graves for six dead babies.

Antibiotics, immunisations, the virtual eradication of some diseases, much better treatments for many diseases, clean running water, proper sewerage...

The availability of adequate food is also significant.

These things all have a big positive impact on life expectancy.

But none of that contradicts the premiss that too much sugar (or indeed too much of anything else) has a negative impact in life expectancy.

Walk-Jogger

Sheesh.  I just thought it was moderately interesting to find an actual datapoint for life expectancy for the exact year quoted on that old recipe earlier in the thread.

Where's the emoticon for hand flying over top of head when it's needed . . .

Retired &  Loving It

sugnim

I'm not sure about life expectancy, but today is day 4 with no sugar or processed foods.  It's not too hard, although I was in a really long and dull hearing yesterday when I really wanted to grab some chocolate on the break,  I opted for water and a banana instead.

I also tried making our own granola bars--I'll need to tweak the recipe a bit.  Tonight, I'm going to try this yogurt recipe which looks pretty easy and should save money as well as keep the added sugar away.

Processed foods:

Bite Labs

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Joann Y

Processed foods:

Bite Labs

I vote Matthew McConaughey. He is looking quite delectable on True Detective.

Processed foods:

Bite Labs

this has the possibility of hijacking a thread in the same manner that SJ does.

it leaves you wondering, "Is this for real?"

this has the possibility of hijacking a thread in the same manner that SJ does.

I think he would like the "Ellen" as it is blended with ostrich.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

For losing weight, I've adopted a paleo-ish diet.  I made that word up on my own, so I can say the diet is my own.  Started with quitting all soda in June 2013, and progressed from there in stages to make it a better diet.  Here is the basic diet, and I've mostly been staying with it, although holidays are always a challenge.

Water to drink anytime

-- Breakfast is a glass of 1% milk, 2 eggs, and half-glass of grape juice (100% but store bought, sorry).

-- Early snack is a banana.

-- Lunch is turkey on a potato roll, with some mayo, 1 slice of cheese, and a lot of fresh spinach crammed into the sandwich, plus half an orange on the side (other half is in my son's lunch).

-- After lunch snack is 4 homemade oatmeal raisen nut cookies, very little sugar added in baking.

-- Supper is typically broccoli and (chicken or ground sausage or steak) and a sauce.  Could be cauliflower or cabbage with the meat, but definitely no pasta, no rice, no potato.  The sauce can be Italian, Chinese, Indian, whatever, either homemade or from a jar if need be.

-- Dessert is 1 yogurt cup

-- Late snack is an apple and or an orange.

Cheats are typically dates (especially if too much tv on a lazy weekend), but try not to eat too many, as they have a lot of natural sugar.

I've lost 46 pounds thus far, so it must be working.  I don't really want junk food anymore.  Not much need for it.  But don't take away my yogurt!

Slow and Steady

I went hardcore with whole foods/plant-based for about 3 months. Nothing but fruit, veggies and beans. I dropped nearly 40 pounds, and that's without exercise. Now I consider myself a "flexitarian". I still try to get most of my diet from fruit, veggies and beans, but occasionally eat whole grains, very rarely eat refined grains, and rarely eat anything with sugar in it. Oh, and occasional meat and dairy. I drink a few cups of coffee a day, and once a week or so have a Diet Coke.

I find it's best to think of it as filling yourself with the good stuff rather than denying yourself the "bad" stuff. If you fill yourself with the good stuff, you don't sweat it if you eat some of the bad stuff. Cuz let's be honest, the bad stuff is the best stuff.

Eric S.

Trail Mix ||| dailymile ||| RA log

Goals: 50km, 50-miler, 100km, 100-miler

sugnim

I still try to get most of my diet from fruit, veggies and beans, 

I don't mean to be crude, but how do you deal with the breezy after-effects of such a diet?

I don't mean to be crude, but how do you deal with the breezy after-effects of such a diet?

Blame it on the cat or dog :-)