Getting back into running shape (Read 283 times)

Dream Maker

I've been there many times, including right now (just resumed running after a long period of almost nothing).  You need to let go of the runner you were and focus on what you can do now.  Be patient, and persistent.  And I always tell myself, "you can't get it all back in one day."  That means avoid pushing yourself too hard, especially at first -- it's so much easier to get injured when you're older and out of shape.   Start very slow, and build up slow miles.  At the beginning, quantity is quality.  That is, at first you're better off building up with a lot of slow miles than a few fast ones.  Good Luck!

Thanks!   Good advice.

juniordo1

If you find out the key let me know. I'm struggling to find my mojo. Too many cumulative injuries, very few running related, make it difficult. Just trying to put one foot in front of the other on a consistent basis is all I can currently shoot for.

Good luck

I too, am struggling to find my mojo. I finished the 2013 Twin Cities marathon with an injury. I was sidelined temporarily but thought I would come back strong. I then suffered two serious non-running injuries that have kept me sidelined for most of the last 3 years.

I started back running on 01JAN17. My log shows a lack of consistency and the first couple of weeks were run/walk. This morning I just didn't feel like running but I went out anyways. My goal was to run until I was tired. At the three mile mark, I turned around and ran home for 6 miles total. I feel great physically and mentally. My mojo was out there and I found it  somewhere around mile 4. The joy still exists. Cant wait to run tomorrow!

My .02 - run if and when you can and don't put so many expectations on yourself. Keep your goals small and build some momentum.

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

Dream Maker

]. At the three mile mark, I turned around and ran home for 6 miles total. I feel great physically and mentally. My mojo was out there and I found it  somewhere around mile 4. The joy still exists. Cant wait to run tomorrow!

Love that!  I had one of those runs two days ago.  They make the days where your legs are heavy and you are incredibly cognizant of how far you've fallen worth the effort, don't they?

I'm right there with you.  Did run #3 tonight after a long long lay off.  Your comments are inspiring, thanks for sharing.  This is where the mental part is so important for me; so far so good.

Good luck!

Dream Maker

Update: still have a bit to go but I have ran a marathon (that I had no business running but my husband was the 5:15 pacer so I just had to take the opportunity), a couple half marathons, and my 5k is down at least to 8:30 pace.

It is still a bit frustrating but at least now I am not doubting that it can come back, just impatient. I have stayed on it, though.

runnershawn

Awesome and congrats Heather!!