Nice URLs for user pages? (Read 589 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Is there a reason the log and summary pages don't have nice URLs?  For example: www.runningahead.com/stadjak/ instead of http://www.runningahead.com/logs/39b9f8794dc2415781654d4f2be2ef2f 

A friend, who is not an RA member (or current runner for that matter) wanted to see my log and so I passed this hugh hex-code URL to him.  Would have been nice to have something I could say verbally to him, or at least remember off the top of my head.

Or is this a case of intended security through obscurity?

Or better yet, it there already a secret nice URL that I just don't know about?

Thanks.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

an amazing likeness

Sorry man, but you're just an object id to RA. 

A feature you will love whenever you rename a course, the name of equipment, update your userid, or whatever...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

If you are forwarding a link then it doesn't matter that its a random string of code. If you are trying to verbally direct someone to your log send them to runningahead.com/users and give them your user name.

Runners run

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

BAM!

www.runningahead.com/stadjak/

Brilliant!!! but if you look in the napkin under the table, you'll find the broccoli he claimed to have eaten.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
          Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

BAM!

www.runningahead.com/stadjak/

Just in case anyone doesn't get the joke... this doesn't achieve what was requested: the url is as before it's just the text looks like a  url.

Why is it sideways?

I think Trent's point is that it's napkins covering broccoli all the way down. Almost every email system allows you to do what Trent just did: create your own url, just as you like. Eric could create a generic napkin to cover this broccoli, but then someone else would see that napkin as broccoli.

I think Trent's point is that it's napkins covering broccoli all the way down. Almost every email system allows you to do what Trent just did: create your own url, just as you like. Eric could create a generic napkin to cover this broccoli, but then someone else would see that napkin as broccoli.

But he hasn't created a url. 

Why is it sideways?

But he hasn't created a url. 

Okay.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Sorry man, but you're just an object id to RA. 

I am not a number!  I am a free man!

The nice URL doesn't have to be the "real" (AKA broccoli) URL.  It could just be a look-up and re-direct, if necessary.

(obviously, this is a matter of convenience, not functionality)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm with stadjak, hiding the broccoli shouldn't be too difficult.  Not that I would take advantage of the feature often.  Or ever.

Okay.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing  or not... the url is the thing (most) browsers display down at the bottom when you mouse over something rendered as a link. You can get any text you like to be rendered as the clickable thing - but that makes no difference to what the url is. If you feel like it you can be actively misleading - there's no necessary relationship between the url and the text. Using text that looks like a url to render a different url is kind of confusing!

Why is it sideways?

I'm not sure if you're agreeing  or not... the url is the thing (most) browsers display down at the bottom when you mouse over something rendered as a link. You can get any text you like to be rendered as the clickable thing - but that makes no difference to what the url is. If you feel like it you can be actively misleading - there's no necessary relationship between the url and the text. Using text that looks like a url to render a different url is kind of confusing!

Yeah, I see what you are saying. I can understand the request.

You could use something like TinyURL.  You're still hiding the broccoli, but you're doing so in a way that creates a unique URL. 

My pass-along one is http://tinyurl.com/rgruns, for example. 

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                            Emil Zatopek

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey