Discoid lateral meniscus (Read 39 times)

Lamar

Soo I’m 16 and I’ve been running for 2 years now , recently I was diagnosed with discoid lateral meniscus and I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips for running with this condition. Keep in mind I used to be a sub 5 mile runner and my knees started swelling up a couple months ago.

SMART Approach

Your lateral meniscus is thicker and more disc shaped than normal but doesn't necessarily mean you are stuck with symptoms all your life. You really need to focus in a lifetime of hip, glute, hammy, quad and calf strength to take presuure off knee joint and be a strong runner. Are you symptomatic now?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Again?

Is this a revival of an old thread?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Lamar

Yup Im back again and i just decided to stop running all together since I couldn’t make anymore progress.

Again?

Is this a revival of an old thread?

I messed up my medial meniscus by lifting and twisting over 4000lbs of concrete bags. At least that's my best guess.

I used an elastic knee brace, then a Chopat type strap, and both helped a lot. I never gave it time to heal (which can be quite long), and when it got worse I went with a brace with the patella hole and soft side supports, and that was foolproof. I found the "trick" for all three was to make sure the bottom part of the patella was strapped and compressed. If any worked lower and was no longer compressing the bottom of the patella, I woud start to feel the twinge.

You might try something like that and see if it helps your case. I was lucky and found one at Ross Dress For Less for $8, but this type brace is typically $30+.

https://www.amazon.com/Support-Swollen-Ligament-Meniscus-Injuries/dp/B07SRR6FKX

The next step up would be one with rigid hinged side supports.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying