Chicago Marathon distance for those who were not allowed to finish (Read 605 times)

Chicago 26.2 07

Does anyone know what our final distance was yesterday? We were not allowed to tun south on Halsted instead we were detoured straight to Millenium park on Jackson St.
      First, I'm sorry that you weren't permitted to complete the race. It was a brutal day out there for everyone. According to my GPS map of the course, the Halsted/Jackson intersection is approximately 16.8 miles into the course. If you want to add the distance from that intersection to Michigan Ave (Michigan/Jackson) that is another 1.2 miles, approximately.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Chicago 26.2 07

Thanks, it was my first Marathon, and i wanted to know how far I actually went. I guess I have a new goal for next year. Thanks
          Awww man. If I were you I'd be so upset!
          2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
          Chicago 26.2 07

First, I'm sorry that you weren't permitted to complete the race. It was a brutal day out there for everyone. According to my GPS map of the course, the Halsted/Jackson intersection is approximately 16.8 miles into the course. If you want to add the distance from that intersection to Michigan Ave (Michigan/Jackson) that is another 1.2 miles, approximately.
            Berner, Did you finish? How did you do? I hope you got to finish. Thanks for the info.
            derek

I'm sorry you didn't get to finish. Are you from Chicago, or did you travel for the marathon? I traveled from TX with my entire family. I spent about $2,500 on this marathon when you factor in flights, hotels, and meals and I would have been pissed if I weren't given the option of completing the marathon.

Derek

Berner, Did you finish? How did you do? I hope you got to finish. Thanks for the info.
                You're welcome, and yes I managed to finish. Also, I want to compliment you on having a great attitude. From your post above talking about next year's goals, it sounds like you understand that this race was a ridiculous abnormality. Kudos for sticking to your goal -- to me, thats the real definition of a "runner."

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Chicago 26.2 07

You're welcome, and yes I managed to finish. Also, I want to compliment you on having a great attitude. From your post above talking about next year's goals, it sounds like you understand that this race was a ridiculous abnormality. Kudos for sticking to your goal -- to me, thats the real definition of a "runner."
                  Thanks for the kind words, and in the words of the Terminator, "I'll be back" If they don't change the format to a qualifying race like Boston. The local talk is that they may change the race. They are blaming the problems on too many novice runners, ill prepared and unrealistic. In my opinion, there is no fault, as you said before, this was a ridiculous abnormality. I have a friend who ran the Twin Cities on Sunday and he said they were dropping from the heat in Minnesota as well.