Whoops! Bigger race than I thought... (Read 1038 times)

Next on my list is to go back and read about what foods to eat the day before a long race!
    Simple: eat what you have been eating! Do not try any new foods the day before a long race! If you want to carb load, you need to do it a couple days before (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you eat two nights before a race is more important than what you eat the night before?)... and even that is pretty simple: whole wheat pasta, potatoes, wheat bread, etc. Stay away from anything you "heard" is "the perfect running food" and stick with what has worked! Race day is not the day to find out that food x and your stomach do not get along. Good luck with the race! Smile
    2009: BQ?
      Thank you! I actually just started eating wheat pasta just last month, it's very good.

Michelle

I think I'm letting my nerves get to me. I have convinced myself to hardly run at all this week because of the HM on Sunday, and I don't think that is the right thing to do. I'm a little confused!! After running almost 10 miles on Sat., I was in some pain on Sun, and Mon. But, after playing soccer on Monday night I felt great, it was odd. Yesterday I didn't run, because I was fearing that I'd bring the pain back from Saturday's run and that I had already pushed my luck by playing soccer and running hard on Monday night. Today I really need to run but I'm not sure of how much or how hard to run. I feel like I'm cheating myself out of running time because of being nervous about Sunday. Any suggestions?

Michelle

After talking to my friend and others on the relay team I feel much much better. They do this more for the fun aspect and don't put pressure on each other. Two of the girls have 2 hours as their half marathon times so what I'll do is start with them and then drop back when I feel the need to. I think that going into it without the stress of going for record times will make me relax and enjoy the run. I was assured that even if my time is "bad" it will be okay since they will only take the top 5 out of the 6 people on the team anyhow.
          I think if you keep this in mind that you may be able to enjoy it more. I would be a bundle of nerves too!! Good luck and let us know how it goes!! Smile
            I just ran for 40 minutes at a 10 minute mile pace, it felt good. I actually didn't want to stop but I'm on a tight schedule with having to drop my youngest at kindergarten and then get back to work by 1:00. I cut my work out short with only doing two sets of push ups and sit ups - then I did my usual stretching (that felt really good to do). Not sure what I'll run the rest of the week. Race week is stressful stuff!!

Michelle

Scout7

When I did an actual taper for Baltimore, the entire week I was nuts. I went from running a max of around 50 miles in a week, down to maybe 20. Couple that with the ADD, and I was driving my wife and coworkers insane by Friday. Take it easy, find a way to relax. Other than that, you'll be fine.
                Well, Friday night before my Sunday race. Am I nervous. OF COURSE. Is my family ready to ship me out...OF COURSE. They are sick of hearing about all my "what if's". Tonight it will be spaghetti and meatballs for dinner (despite what the rest of my family wants). Early to bed tomorrow night and then up at 5:00 a.m. to get ready and head to DE for 7:45 packet pick up...9:00 a.m. race. I figure that by 5:00 on Sunday I'll be on the couch with two ice packs (one for each leg) and two beers (one for each hand). Big grin

Michelle

madness baby

Good luck Michelle! I'm sure you will do very well. Remember not to start off too fast and save a little energy for the end. I hope you enjoy the race! And then you can play Edward Fortyhands: Duct tape beers to your hands (40s for guys, but I get away with just a couple regular bottles) and sit there till you're done. That should make it a fun recovery! Big grin Have your family readjust your ice packs for you.
                  deb
                    Smile Thanks for the good luck wish! For some reason right now I'm not as nervous, perhaps I'm in shock that the race is already here!! I'm more worried about getting lost on the way there. That would not even be funny. I plan on leaving WAY early, just in case. There are 7 girls on the team and 4 of us are meeting at a house local to the race. I think that will help ease some of the pre-race stress. I think there is talk of heading out for an after race drink or two. I guess if I can still walk after the race I'll have to have a celebration drink - Maybe a Nuts & Berries (my favorite sipping drink)...I'll save the beer to enjoy with my husband once I get home.

Michelle

My goal for next Sunday's 13 mile race is to finish...bonus would be to finish in under 2 hours 15 minutes ( Berner - Is that more realistic ?) Smile
                      Woot! Nice job with the 1:58 finish!! Big grin Can't wait to see your full race report.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.