Oh no - the hamstring ... (Read 607 times)

uncontrollable

2 weeks to Boston & pulled the hamstring. I need positive recovery stories to cheer me up. Please.

peace

2 weeks to Boston & pulled the hamstring. I need positive recovery stories to cheer me up. Please.
      I find that for when I strain my sensitive right hamstring, a strict schedule of using the heating pad and then icing, REALLY REALLY helps. I take advantage of my down time at work (since I sit in front of a computer 70% of the day) and I use the heating pad for like 20 minutes and then ice for 20 minutes. I stop for a while and then continue on. Depending on how badly it hurts I'll do that over the course of the day all day long. I'm not sure if it's the best thing medically, but it sure helps me. There have been times when I've felt like a strain injury would keep me from running for the week but after a day of doing the heat/ice thing, a good night's sleep, and lots of water, I was back to running after just a day or two. I hope you get better quick! Maybe this taper time will be enough to heal so that you're good to go.

Michelle

Mine was injured for MONTHS...wait, that's not positive... UNTIL...I quit sitting. No joke. Once I stopped sitting (driving and at work), for about a week or two straight, healed right up-it really was miraculous. Stretching only hurt it, except for a few yoga poses that aided in recovery, but I wouldn't recommend to someone that is new to yoga. Ice definitely helped too. MTA: Oh, I also bought a hamstring brace, also really helped, alternated it when I wasn't icing. Healing thoughts coming your way!!!

Another Passion

The only thing I know, like knifey already mentioned, is not to stretch it. Good luck and healing up! I hope you get near healed before Boston. Wink

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com