Painter's Half-Marathon (Read 604 times)

First race (for me) of the new year was Painter's Half-Marathon in St. George, UT Saturday. It was 20 degrees at the start, probably 27 at the end. Fortunately, no wind. That would have been brutal. As the first race of 2007, and coming off some 'down time' over the holidays along with my share of holiday food, I lined up at the start with no particular goal in mind other than to use this as a training run (some speedwork) on my Boston training schedule. I had never run this course before, and other than the first 3-4 miles through some suburbs, I really liked it. A little hilly in places, but that's ok with me. Once I warmed up a little, I went ahead and decided to race. Finished with a time of 1:32:33 (7:03 pace), 49th overall (1,200 runners). That placed me 4th in my age group (M5054). I actually look forward to my new age group in April (M55-59). I would have won that division. Yeah, getting old does have some advantages.
    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
    mikeymike

Nicely done!

Runners run

bas

Awesome! That's more than 20 minutes faster than my PR. I am in the 55-60 age group, so when you get there (and if we would ever be in the same race) you won't have to worry about me! Smile bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

You'll ruin your knees!

Wow, very nice race! Great time. Keep in mind that there are others that might be "graduating" into the new age group as well! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Now that was a bath...

That's pretty darn impressive. I hear you on the age group thing too. I've never been so excited to be 35. If I had started running a year ago I would have had to compete with the nubile young wenches without four children, a drug history and smoker's lungs. 49th out of 1200 runners is incredible. I bow down and worship at the church of your feet. Claire xxx
          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                Awesome! That's more than 20 minutes faster than my PR. I am in the 55-60 age group, so when you get there (and if we would ever be in the same race) you won't have to worry about me! Smile bas
                I'd love to run in Amsterdam, for sure.
                  Wow, very nice race! Great time. Keep in mind that there are others that might be "graduating" into the new age group as well! Lynn B
                  Yeah, I know Tongue However, in this race, the three that finished ahead of me were either 50 or 51. I think I'd rather be the youngster in an age group than the oldster...
                    That's pretty darn impressive. I hear you on the age group thing too. I've never been so excited to be 35. If I had started running a year ago I would have had to compete with the nubile young wenches without four children, a drug history and smoker's lungs. 49th out of 1200 runners is incredible. I bow down and worship at the church of your feet. Claire xxx
                    Running allows me to chase those nubile young wenches without my wife getting upset Big grin And at my age, if you're in the 35-39 group, you're a nubile young wench. BTW--that's a church with sole (and probably a little stinky as well). But, thanks.
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

Yeah. I was too jealous to post. Wink Congrats, Don. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Slow-smooth-fast

that is fantastic news, big well done, only wish I could run at that pace for more than a mile

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Dog-Love

Great job!!! If you lived in Juneau you might have come in first! Between my age group (old) and this small town...I can feel like the fastest runner in the world. You are a great inspiration!
                          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)