Lactose Intolerance (Read 598 times)

A couple years ago, oddly enough, both my hubby and I simutaneously were unable to drink milk/ eat milk products. It took us quite awhile to figure out that milk was the culprit. This happened to my mom around my age too. So, naturally, we stopped eating all milk products completely except we've found that we can still eat Pizza Hut pizza and sometimes (it's iffy) Little Caesars. For home, we can only eat Digornio. And let me tell ya that was fun figuring that out too! Tongue What I don't understand is why we can still eat these particular pizzas while other ones, along with other milk containing foods, wreck havoc on our systems. It can potentially wreck your whole day (and therefore scheduled running, etc.) if you eat the wrong thing. I've called Pizza Hut and Little Caesars asking the managers about the exact cheese they use (thinking it might be artificial or soy or whatever...) but they just use regular old cheese- the real stuff. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? Why would we be able to eat some things that obviously have milk in them but not others? Is it the aging of the cheese maybe?? Thanks!
      hiya I'm not sure I know the answer to your question but I too have a lactose intolernace and I've found that there are some random things which I can eat too! I used to be a complete dairy addict so it proved tough to give up and I kept slipping off the wagon hence how I found that I could eat certain things! I've found that if the dairy makes up a small part of the meal (like cheese on pizza) I can handle it as I guess the dairy gets overwhelmed by the other food (well that's how I've always interpretted it - anyone with a more indepth knowledge of nutrition is welcome to explain the real reason to me)! I've found that the more solid the form of the dairy the more likely I am to be able to eat it so milk, cream, ice cream and yoghurt are out Dead but hard cheeses seems to be OK - although only in small doses and, as you suggest, the older a cheese is the better I can tolerate it. I always thought I was just weird - glad to hear I'm not alone Smile
      "Tough times don't last but tough people do." - A.C. Green
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A lot of people with dairy issues still seem to be able to each cheese, yogurt, and other cultured dairy products. Maybe there is something to how long the cheese has been aged. Can you still eat yogurt? Man, I would have to be institutionalized if I suddenly couldn't eat dairy--no joke. My life revolves around cheese (ask anyone who knows me). Maybe it's got something to do with having spent the first 20 years of my life in Wisconsin...but I seriously would be a very depressed person if I had to cut dairy out of my diet. With the amount of dairy I eat and my exercise I'm guessing I have some amazingly sturdy bones. I hope to be running laps around all the other grannies with broken hips in the old folks home someday! Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah I thought it would be pretty near impossible for me to give it up too - especuialy the French cheeses that people bring back whenever they go over to Europe - Brie oh my god yum yum (oops now I'm dribbling on my keyboard) but I've found as long as I have a workaround - like goats cheese is fine or if I'm really strict and have no other dairy in the day I can have a little in the evening. Personally my biggest probem is soy milk - to me it tastes like liquid cardboard! Thank goodness for Starbucks gingerbread syrup to hide the taste Smile
          "Tough times don't last but tough people do." - A.C. Green
            Try some OTC lactaid tablets. The Walmart brand (Equate) works well for me. I take 4 of them and have at the milk etc with no problems at all. But be advised that this doesn't work for all people!!! After years of not being able to have milk my wife discovered those tablets. The firs Hudson's Grill Chock Shake after 4 years was HEAVEN!!!!! NOW I want one!!! And the nearest one is 2200 miles away.................... Lets see a 13 min/ mile with 4 hours sleep each 24 and time for eats will get me............................. never mind!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Zoom, I have found that yogurt is tolerable but still doesn't settle really well if ya know what i mean! I know- I was chugging the milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese...you name it dairy-wise, and I was eating it like crazy. My son has allergies to eggs peanuts and nuts and very very mildly to milk so I've really had to alter my cooking methods. I hadn't stopped using milk because it IS so mild with him. And I remember thinking, "Boy, thank goodness we don't have to stop using milk! That would really be difficult ontop of everything else!!" And then my husband and I had to get in on the game! Big grin Bearpoop (gotta laugh as i type that) - I use the Lactaid pills when I'm really desperate for something! They usually work well! (note- usually!) Smile I know exactly how your wife feels!! Funny thing is the pills work but the Lactaid milk doesn't. Probably too much milk at one time I'm thinking. Vickispill, the soy milk just isn't the same is it?! We use it in everything else though with no problem! Just can't drink it! I will say, though, in desperate times, if you have to use it, the vanilla is better than the plain, but then it's allmost too sweet! Tongue Has anyone tried almond or rice milk? I haven't yet but I know they're out there.
                I also fairly recently discovered I was lactose intolerant, and I agree it is difficult. I might be able to shed some light on the pizza dilemma- lactose is a type of sugar, mildly sweet. Some manufacturers add lactose to bread products to add just a little bit of sweetness. it is possible that the part of the pizza that gives you troubles isn't the cheese at all but the crust. Actually, cheese in general (and specifically hard cheese) has very little lactose in it, so it's rare to have a reaction. Yogurt also shouldn't be too bothersome because the bacteria added to it actually breaks down the lactose so your body doesn't have to. But there are types of yogurt that add milk back in after the bacterial breakdown- you can avoid these. I've found lactose in cereals, soups, salad dressings, etc. I do drink almond milk exclusively now, and I kind of like it. Then again, I never liked milk plain- most people found it disgusting, but i used to eat my cereal with half skim milk/half water. Skim was always too heavy for me. So maybe almond milk wouldn't work for most. Have you been tested to be sure you are lactose intolerant? Gluten intolerance shows really similar symptoms and most products with lactose contain gluten as well. You can do an at home test, which is what i did. Basically, just fast overnight for a minimum 12 hours. then drink a glass of milk. Don't eat or drink anything for 3-5 hours. If it's truly lactose intolerance, you should have a reaction in that time. Unpleasant, but good to know for sure.
                  I also fairly recently discovered I was lactose intolerant, and I agree it is difficult. I might be able to shed some light on the pizza dilemma- lactose is a type of sugar, mildly sweet. Some manufacturers add lactose to bread products to add just a little bit of sweetness. it is possible that the part of the pizza that gives you troubles isn't the cheese at all but the crust. Have you been tested to be sure you are lactose intolerant? Gluten intolerance shows really similar symptoms and most products with lactose contain gluten as well. You can do an at home test, which is what i did. Basically, just fast overnight for a minimum 12 hours. then drink a glass of milk. Don't eat or drink anything for 3-5 hours. If it's truly lactose intolerance, you should have a reaction in that time. Unpleasant, but good to know for sure.
                  Thanks for shedding some light Laura25!! I NEVER thought about...much less knew...that they inserted lactose into pizza crust!! But then, whenever I check the bread labels, I'll be darned if I can find any without milk in it! That only makes sense. Now you've got me thinking about the gluten issue. I know when I had spaghetti awhile back I had quite the time afterward thinking it was the parmesean. Maybe it was the wheat (gluten?) spaghetti. But then, I'm fine with other wheat products. Confused I haven't been tested for lact. intolerance, but i probably should be. That'd be great if I found that I could actually have some things I didn't think I could have!! Or to at least know what I should be avoiding! So do you eat pizza, some cheeses, and yogurt? Smile
                    No problem Smile To answer your question, I am what my boyfriend calls "a whole other level of picky." Most people do not understand it, but since I was a kid, I have always hated cheese, especially melted. So I have never eaten pizza. Or any other cheeses. I do eat yogurt, but some kinds bother me more than others. I have had a lot of luck with Stonyfield Farms fat-free. In fact, I have a much better time with fat free dairy than anything else. Once in awhile, I'll have fat-free cottage cheese, and I'm ok with that- just not more than 1/4 cup at a time, and not more than once every few weeks. I can't eat ice cream AT ALL, but frozen yogurt seems ok in small doses.