Your skin may be full of s*** (Read 793 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

...and crawling with bugs.

(I enjoy posting sensationalist headlines.)

jfa

Whoa

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And here I always thought the curse of the Celts was midges.  Blech.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

At least most of us only have a couple per square centimeter.

Wing

Joggaholic

Demodex does not have an anus and therefore cannot get rid of its faeces. "Their abdomen just gets bigger and bigger, and when they die and decompose they release their faeces all at once in the pore,"

Sounds like something out of looney tunes or spongebob...

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Really, they've got it worse than their hosts.

Wing

Joggaholic

Sometimes evolution boggles my mind, I mean this "no anus" thing, I wonder how did the survival of the fittest work out in this case...

Healthy adults have around one or two mites per square centimetre of facial skin.

considering you only have maybe 200 square centimeters of prime real estate for these guys that seems like a small number.  it seems like you should be able to wipe them out.  reading though the article it seems to imply they only move around in the dark.  yet one more reason for me to sleep with the lights on. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sometimes evolution boggles my mind, I mean this "no anus" thing, I wonder how did the survival of the fittest work out in this case...

If your lifespan is short enough, pooping is superfluous.

These kinds of articles bother me less once I learnt that our body has 10 times more non-human cells than Human cells.

These kinds of articles bother me less once I learnt that our body has 10 times more non-human cells than Human cells.

Seriously. Our bodies are just great big microbe Mardi Gras floats, and the party never ends.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Seriously. Our bodies are just great big microbe Mardi Gras floats, and the party never ends.

Smile

A Saucy Wench

amen

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

lagwagon

having "celtic" blood I prefer to think of myself as a "great big microbe St Patty's Day float"....floating down a delicious river of Guinness...(5pm yet?)

No way I will click that link. I was flipping channels once, and caught just enough of one of those colon cleanse infomercials to creep me out in a big way. Something about crapping out something with legs. I'm still a little afraid to look in the toilet after using it.