PR's run on non-certified courses--should they count? (Read 790 times)

Jim, that was the Great Race? Nice run there for your PR, and yes I would count it! BTW, I was supposed to run that race but due to my stupidity I did not. I got up at 7AM day of race and left my house to jog to the start line and register. It was supposed to be about 4.5 miles but somehow I made a wrong turn onto Quito instead of Saratoga and by the time I figured it out I had popped out on the race course at the 2 mile mark! At this point I'd already run 5.7 miles and needed to backtrack to the start 2 miles AND register. So I did and got to the reg table at 8:45AM - whew made it! Nope, they were out of Bibs/Timing Chips but still wanted me to register so I could get a Tshirt. I said no thanks and gave 'em $10 as a donation and just turned my run around and went back home. I ended up doing a 17 miler. At the 2 mile point of the race I stopped and waited for the leaders. The first guy came whizzing by at 9:10:05 - 5 minute miles, followed about 20 yards later by a pack of what looked like High School kids. I'm very disappointed in myself for letting the opportunity to race slip away, I think I could have gone under 25minutes. I WILL pre-register next time.
    Hi Ken, I remember you from last year, just before I ran CIM. You were going to do some shorter races, but apparently never got around to it? Yes, Sunday was The Great Race. I think you would have enjoyed it--one of my favorite events. For the past 4 years I have parked at the start and run back after finishing. It's easy to find a spot if you get there about an hour early, and has worked out really well for me. From the sound of your story it would have worked out perfectly for you. They have a shuttle back to the start too, if you don't feel like running back. The Parkway Half Marathon in Sacramento is on May 3 in case you are interested. Last year was the inaugural, which got very good reviews from a couple people I know who ran it. Another option race is Devil Mountain 5k/10k the following day in Danville. Can you feel me nudging you to run some races? You must race, Ken! If this old man can improve for 4 straight years by racing regularly, a young whippersnapper like you certainly can Wink
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
    mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

You run into the same problem trying to measure the course with a car. You don't drive the same way you run, taking diagonals from one corner to the next opposite one, and cutting as close as possible to left corners on left turns (and if you do PLEASE stay out of my neighborhood Smile). Plus most cars' odometer will read at most to the nearest 0.1 miles, so you don't get the accuracy or precision of the course certifiers. If we were to all run the course exactly as laid out and measured, every race would be single file! Try this - lay out your favorite 5K on the google maps tool in the training log, shooting for minimum distance - cut corners as close as possible, take the diagonal across the road whenever possible. Note the distance. Now go and move everything to the opposite side - swing wide on corners, hug one side of the road as much as possible, etc. Note the distance again. Depending on the course, you may see as much as 0.1 miles difference. Your true distance probably lies somewhere in between. As long as the course is close, I'd say count it. My $0.02. Michael