iPod help (Read 679 times)

JakeKnight

So I have an iPod question. I pondered where on Earth I could find a bunch of geeks who'd probably know. I gave it at least 10 seconds thought. And then I remembered you people. You're perfect. So here's my question. My lady's iPod won't seem to connect to the computer. We've got three iPods, 2 work fine. But she asked me to download some songs to hers, and when I plug it in via a USB cable - its like the iPod isn't even there. I'm not doing anything different than what I do with my own, but on hers it won't work. I'm terrified of making the wrong move and erasing all her songs. All I want to do is move songs from the hard drive, stuff already purchased or new stuff, and put it on her machine. I think I could probably figure out how to synch it or whatever, but I'd end up erasing something. Trust me on this. I'm an experienced accidental eraser. Any clues? Any place I can go look this stuff up where they speak English? Preferably at a third grade level? Thanks in advance. A free bottle of Diet Chocolate Cherry Dr. Pepper to the first person who actually helps me figure this out. I hate computers. I really do. And yes, I think that's ironic, too.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Imminent Catastrophe

First, what kind of computer? If it's not a Mac, I can't help you. If it's a Mac, I probably can't help you, but will try.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

Nope. PC. Nice avatar. Smile

Dave

Have you tried a soft reset on the ipod? Usually center button and top button but it varies by model. It won't erase it. Then check to see if it shows up as a drive in "My Computer". Also check under the System Information to see if it shows up as having a device driver error. Who am I kidding? It's probably f'd if the other ones work on there. Cable is good. Drivers should be fine. If the soft reset doesn't work, you're probably screwed...

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

What kind of iPod? (do you know what generation?) As long as you don't delete what's on her computer, you won't lose anything. Now, if she's got a bunch of stuff from a different computer, that might be a problem. Have you always synced her iPod on this computer? Best bet is to try a soft reset.
            To reset an iPod with a Click Wheel, including: iPod nano (3rd generation) iPod classic iPod (5th generation) iPod nano (2nd generation) iPod nano iPod with color display (iPod photo) iPod (Click Wheel) iPod mini iPod mini (2nd generation) 1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.) 2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step. Tip: If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center. If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep.
            Also, here's a link to the manuals for the various iPods. There should be a section describing your problem in the appropriate manual.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

OOHHH!! Pick me!! I am QUITE experienced in this as it has happened to me like 3 times already First, you obviously have to try all the reset stuff. Be aware you WILL lose all music on that Ipod, but only that Ipod. Nothing will get erased from Itunes. Go onto Apple.com and look under the Support tab. You will find the recommended stuff to do before you call them. I think its called the 4Rs or the 5Rs. something like that. Very easy to follow After this stuff doesnt work, and I know it probably won't becuase it never does for me, you need to manually change the drive letter on your computer so that it knows what the Ipod is. But you only have to do this if the ipod is NOT recognized in both WINDOWS AND ITUNES. If its see-able in the my computer icon, but not in Itunes, thats a different story. Translation: Somehow in the glorious land of computers, it seems to have "forgotten" the correct drive letter of your Ipod (E: or C: or F:, or whatever it is) Again, you can easily find the steps on how to do this on the apple support page. For me, mine isnt recognized by both windows and itunes and i have to do this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93499 but make sure that is your problem first. If this is all greek to you or you dont think you can handle it, at least try the 5Rs thingy and then call apple. it doesnt cost anything and they are VERY efficient. Ive always had good customer service with them - good luck! You can mail me my "crack in a can" as Zoomy puts it, cuz i dont think we have it here!
              JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Okay, I would call 1.800.MY-APPLE if you still need answers. They are prompt and helpful. Good luck. There is nothing worse than iPod issues, because you'd think they'd be so easy and that's frustrating. Smile jilly
                "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                JakeKnight

Thanks all. I'm trying everything and getting nowhere, and yes, Jilly - its frustrating as Hell. The first person to make a truly simple intuitive MP3 player is going to make a billion. Reading all the troubleshooting options at the help site - none of which have helped - has me cross-eyed. So I guess I'll do what I should have done from the start and call. Deleting the songs on the iPod is not an option, so they better have another one.

JK, try this I think this may help, let me know how it works Modified to add. I realized I was a bit unclear with my thought process. It looks like this program may use it's own drivers for the iPod. In other words it may not use iTunes to connect to the iPod. You can see if you can transfer all of the music from the iPod to another computer, then do the soft or hard reset on the iPod and re-synch. Kenny
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Deleting the songs on the iPod is not an option, so they better have another one.
                      Where are the "originals?" Are the tracks not still in iTunes on some computer?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

--set itunes to manage songs manually, 1. Hold down shift 2. Open Itunes 3. from the resulting prompt, select "choose" 4. Navigate to where the music is (ie your .itl file) 5. Select the itl file and shift the music around as you please..... ps - --set itunes to manage songs manually so that it does not do anything you dont want it to.
                        Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Where are the "originals?" Are the tracks not still in iTunes on some computer?
                          Exactly what I was wondering. If you have the originals on a computer, there's no danger of losing anything if you wipe the iPod clean. Especially if you use a lint-free cloth.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

--set itunes to manage songs manually, 1. Hold down shift 2. Open Itunes 3. from the resulting prompt, select "choose" 4. Navigate to where the music is (ie your .itl file) 5. Select the itl file and shift the music around as you please..... ps - --set itunes to manage songs manually so that it does not do anything you dont want it to.
                            Yes. A friend of mine lost pretty much her whole library when she inadvertently erased her iTunes, then plugged her iPod in and it automatically sync'd, making her iPod have the same empty iTunes library that was on her computer. After she related that story I made sure to change my iTunes so that I could manually manage my syncing.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yes. A friend of mine lost pretty much her whole library when she inadvertently erased her iTunes, then plugged her iPod in and it automatically sync'd, making her iPod have the same empty iTunes library that was on her computer.
                              Was that the situation where she thought, "I've got all these songs in my iPod -- I don't need 'em on my computer anymore?" Which, as she sadly found out, is a really bad idea... Which is the opposite of JakeKnight's concern. But nevertheless, I think it is a good idea to set up the manual thing as a precaution.
                              The first person to make a truly simple intuitive MP3 player is going to make a billion
                              He already did. His name is Steve Jobs. However, nothing that invovles computers of any sort is truly glitch-free.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Was that the situation where she thought, "I've got all these songs in my iPod -- I don't need 'em on my computer anymore?" Which, as she sadly found out, is a really bad idea...
                                I'm not sure what happened. I think she had a computer crash of some sort (on a PC, of course Evil grin). Somehow her iTunes library on her 'puter vanished, so she figured she could transfer her files from her iPod (a big iPod...however many bazillion gigs that would be, but it held her entire playlist) back to the 'puter. She didn't realize what would happen when she sync'd.

~ Sarah Kay