Which watch is best - Polar M430, Garmin FR235, 0r GarminFR35 (Read 145 times)

Marky_Mark_17

I have the Garmin 235 and it’s been great and would definitely recommend it.

Kennedy, the HRM is not an invalid gimmick, try tightening the strap.

Mikkey I sometimes wonder if you and I have more in common than we might realise!! 

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Joann Y

I have the Garmin FR225 and sometimes it does seem to be measuring my real heart rate but quite often it seems way off. I do tighten the strap as much as I can, one looser than tight enough to cut off circulation. I'm wondering what I am doing differently when it doesn't work. It does sometimes seem when I am running my hardest, it gives up and then shoots very low for HR. Like my last 5k for instance. Does sweat mess with it? What about size of wrist?

for what it's worth, I've never had a HR problem with the M430, and I don't wear it really tight. I've come to the conclusion that HR isn't that important, other than comparing yourself to yourself later.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Polar has always had a better heart rate monitor system then Garmin. Remember the Garmin chest straps that would go hay-wire.  DC rainmaker showed how to snap the garmin hrm into the polar strap for much more stable readings. I know the scosche rhythm+ heart rate monitor armband works perfect right above my arm muscle and syncs via +Ant or Blue tooth. My reason for wanting a wrist based HR GPS watch is to stop wearing the scosche armband. How tight do you have to wear these watches to get an accurate reading. And how is the comfort on the Garmin when the watch is tight.

Other than specs, I think the major issue deciding which one to buy is brand familiarity. If someone is already using Garmin products, then the 235 is probably the way to go. Unless it has a bunch of bad reviews in comparison.

Hey I just ordered the Polar M430 on Clever training (web site) and entered in a 10% off discount code from their site and got the watch (dark blue) for a total of  $179.10 with free shipping! I am pumped. I am going to have to figure out how to use their web site and sync runs up here. 

Got the new watch (Polar M430) today. HR works great and without even tightening the band. Laid down on the sofa and did a fitness test. Results said Elite with a VO2 max of 42. I really like the watch! Will try a run tomorrow since I already ran with my Garmin earlier.

Got the new watch (Polar M430) today. HR works great and without even tightening the band. Laid down on the sofa and did a fitness test. Results said Elite with a VO2 max of 42. I really like the watch! Will try a run tomorrow since I already ran with my Garmin earlier.

wear both at the same time and compare the results!

let us know how that goes.

The last time I did the M430 fitness test it was 54, but some of my runs give me a "running index" of up to 59. Usually in the low to mid 50's, though. These numbers should only be used to compare old you to new you, because they probably don't  accurately compare person to person. Using HR and age/weight/gender to estimate VO2max is probably only a ballpark estimate. But, using Jack Daniels and other tables, the "fitness test" is not too far off in my case.

Sorry Bill too busy today to run with 2 watches just ran with the Polar. WOW wow wow......Talk about Bells & Whistles and to top it off with the reliving experience at Polar! Pleasantly pleased. VO2 max was 50 at that.

Bill I have found that the Polar watch measures my runs slightly longer then my old FR410 did. Anyone else experience this. Not sure which is right.

The last time I did the M430 fitness test it was 54, but some of my runs give me a "running index" of up to 59. Usually in the low to mid 50's, though. These numbers should only be used to compare old you to new you, because they probably don't  accurately compare person to person. Using HR and age/weight/gender to estimate VO2max is probably only a ballpark estimate. But, using Jack Daniels and other tables, the "fitness test" is not too far off in my case.

There is a glitch in the running index factor as it does not take into account the Ambient temp. Example: If I run in the 90's my running index might be 42-44 but when I run in the low 60's the running index is 50 or so. I think it just looks at heart rate, speed,& elevation and does not factor in weather conditions.