Running on "Feel"? (Read 1009 times)

Think Whirled Peas

Hey gang! I've got a question as it relates to running by feel as opposed to using an HRM. I gave up on the HR monitor approach shortly after using it a few times b/c when I was running where I felt most comfortable it was showing me to be out of my prescribed "zone". So, wisely or unwisely, I ditched this approach and decided to run based on how I feel. It suits me much better most of the time, as it allows me to just RUN, baby! There's not so much analyzing going on during the run and I can enjoy the experience more. The problem comes in here. I'm training for a 1/2 mary in, GULP, 10 days and my training plan has a bunch of "easy" runs over this last stretch. Well, I just got back from what felt like an easy run and I ran it faster than most of my other "easy" runs from earlier in the training program. What gives? I'm I just running too fast and need to focus more on slowing the pace down? Or is this a good thing and the training is starting to pay dividends in not just being able to run farther, but now I'm actually starting to get a trifle bit faster? Now, fast for me is laughably slow to some, but hey, speed's all relative anyway, right? Seriously though, with the impending race (did I mention the 13.1 miles?) ) should I be focusing on trying to back the pace down further, or just keep running at what feels comfortable? Now is not the time for me to be unwittingly doing something stoopid. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time...and NOTHING like this one time, at band camp...oh wait, wrong thread for that! Smile

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Why is it sideways?

Just run, baby. If it feels easy, you'll be fine. It's not a bad idea to get in a little tempo in the week before the HM, anyhow. You're getting psyched for the race, tuning into a little of that "race magic," which is a good thing. Don't go out tomorrow and try to make the magic happen again, but if it does, then roll with it. That's what running by feel means. The two days before the race you might want to really back down the intensity, but you can't hurt yourself 10 days away from the event as long as you're feeling good. Confidence, friend! Sounds like you're ready to roll!
        good luck with your race PofQ. mines on sunday. although i've backed off the intensity now i raced a 7.6k on saturday and a 5k (new PB!) on tuesday. but i'm resting up and doing short easy runs now. today (friday) is my last run so will be 5k easy though i'll probably throw in 1km at race pace to remember what it feels like. its my first half in over 2 years so i'm very nervous now. anyways - hope your taper goes well - it certainly sounds like you are flying along. look forward to the race report - do you have a time in mind?

Another Passion

Good luck on Sunday, Mandy and good luck in your HM, Mike! You're running the Detroit, Mike? I'm kicking myself now for not registering for the Detroit half. I think I have made up my mind this week to get serious, go big, and have my first major race be the Glass City Marathon in Toledo April of next year. It's a small race, easier course, close to home, and I think would be a good first (and possibly only) marathon. Anyway, you've trained well and made a ton of progress, Grasshopper. Now go and kick some HM race booty! Wink

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Think Whirled Peas

Just run, baby. If it feels easy, you'll be fine. It's not a bad idea to get in a little tempo in the week before the HM, anyhow. You're getting psyched for the race, tuning into a little of that "race magic," which is a good thing. Don't go out tomorrow and try to make the magic happen again, but if it does, then roll with it. That's what running by feel means. The two days before the race you might want to really back down the intensity, but you can't hurt yourself 10 days away from the event as long as you're feeling good. Confidence, friend! Sounds like you're ready to roll!
            Thanks Jeff! I appreciate the input, especially from a guy who's "easy" pace is faster than I've ever run! Shocked

Think Whirled Peas

good luck with your race PofQ. mines on sunday. although i've backed off the intensity now i raced a 7.6k on saturday and a 5k (new PB!) on tuesday. but i'm resting up and doing short easy runs now. today (friday) is my last run so will be 5k easy though i'll probably throw in 1km at race pace to remember what it feels like. its my first half in over 2 years so i'm very nervous now. anyways - hope your taper goes well - it certainly sounds like you are flying along. look forward to the race report - do you have a time in mind?
              GOOD LUCK on Sunday Mandy! And congrats on the PB for your 5k, that's gotta help the confidence heading into the race. You'll be great, I'm sure as it looks like you've put the training in to KILL that thing! My original goal was to just finish. But that was back in June when I signed up. Now I'm getting a "little" more ambitious and am gunning for a sub-2hr run. Not too sure it's going to happen, but I don't think I'll be satisfied to just finish anymore! I'll definitely post a race report, after all, it'll be my first race of more than 5k EVAH!

Think Whirled Peas

Good luck on Sunday, Mandy and good luck in your HM, Mike! You're running the Detroit, Mike? I'm kicking myself now for not registering for the Detroit half. I think I have made up my mind this week to get serious, go big, and have my first major race be the Glass City Marathon in Toledo April of next year. It's a small race, easier course, close to home, and I think would be a good first (and possibly only) marathon. Anyway, you've trained well and made a ton of progress, Grasshopper. Now go and kick some HM race booty! Wink
                Thanks Rick! Yeah, I wanted to run it as my first HM b/c I heard it was a great run. You run by everything, Cobo, The Joe, Tiger Stadium (I miss ya, old Girl!), over the bridge into Canada, back through the tunnel...yada, yada, yada. Apparently you run by all this stuff during the HM and the second half of the full mary is pretty dull. Being that I'm in Brighton, I figured this would be a good race, and fairly close, to "cut my teeth" on. Of course, I later found out that Lansing had thier first HM a couple of weeks ago, so I'm going to run that next year as a tune up for my first full marathon! It'll be either Detroit or GR, not sure which one yet.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It'll be either Detroit or GR, not sure which one yet.
                  <subliminal> You know you want to do GR... </subliminal> Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

Thanks Jeff! I appreciate the input, especially from a guy who's "easy" pace is faster than I've ever run! Shocked
                    We're all in this thing together, and everybody's got to start somewhere. I remember my first summer of training in junior high. I ran three miles about three or four times a week the whole summer. I didn't know about pace or feel or any of that, just that when cross country rolled around I wanted really bad to make the team. I did it because I wanted it. The reasons why I run change, but the single most important thing you can do to keep improving is to stay in touch with the reasons why you want to run. Sounds like you've got something to prove with that 2hr HM. As long as you've got something to prove--then you'll have "it," that thing, that magic, come race day. Be careful at first--go out easy. But around mile 8 or 9, check yourself and bring it home hard. BTW, your log shows that you have a lot of potential as a runner. Not everyone can accidentally slip up and run 7:30 pace for 5k in a tempo. So, stick with it. Keep surprising yourself!

Think Whirled Peas

Wink
                      Hey ZZ, you're doing the HM this year and the full next, right? I've just spent WAY more time than I should have while "working" looking over the GR Marathon website. It does seem like a really good (and FLAT!) course for a first attempt next year... Of course, subliminal messages are meager in comparison to the effects a good brew has on my senses! Big grin

GOOD LUCK on Sunday Mandy! And congrats on the PB for your 5k, that's gotta help the confidence heading into the race. You'll be great, I'm sure as it looks like you've put the training in to KILL that thing! My original goal was to just finish. But that was back in June when I signed up. Now I'm getting a "little" more ambitious and am gunning for a sub-2hr run. Not too sure it's going to happen, but I don't think I'll be satisfied to just finish anymore! I'll definitely post a race report, after all, it'll be my first race of more than 5k EVAH!
                        good luck with your sub 2 then. looking at your log your basic speed is *much* faster than mine (i'm in awe of your interval training!) so i think you've got every change of beating that target by quite a distance. detroit half sounds fantastic - i had a quick look on their website too. it couldn't be more different to the tiny little race i'm doing which had less than 200 finishers in the half last year, and about 500 total in the marathon, half and 10k fun run!