What is your opinion of Alberto Salazar as a coach? (Read 1632 times)

xor

'tantamount' is a really bizarre word.  One of those that looks odder and odder the more you stare at it.

JimR

I thought I should check back in and see if there were any responses to my question- I did not anticipate things turning out this way!

I liked Xenoplastic's and Spaniels response which seemed thoughtful, but thanks to all.

I had in mind the "cryo tank" and the measurement of leg angles and so on rather than the arm carriage analysis when I referred to technology and innovative techniques.

I have read "Duel in the Sun", have met and chatted with Beardsley, but not Salazar, and have only second hand knowledge derived mostly from articles in running magazines on which to base opinions- this is why I asked a question instead of offering an opinion.

My response was going to be "I have no idea because he never coached me" but the thread was so hijacked that even my semi-joking response seemed out of place.

MrH

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

HermosaBoy

I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Turbolegs

Smile

A dismount from that creature looks imminent ...

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Why is it sideways?

Watch the video of Rupp's two mile AR and ask yourself whether Salazar can do a coach's job: get his athletes ready to race.

MrH

Watch the video of Rupp's two mile AR and ask yourself whether Salazar can do a coach's job: get his athletes ready to race.

That was unwatchable at the end with all the arm swinging going on.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

MrH

And nice Geoff Hollister jersey.

The process is the goal.

after watching that video, I'd say that Salazar got his athlete ready to run & motivated him throughout!

BeeRunB

Does drafting like he did matter indoors?

ANd do they always use a pacemaker and get help like that?

That was unwatchable at the end with all the arm swinging going on.

yeah, his biomechanics really sucked

Why is it sideways?

Does drafting like he did matter indoors?

ANd do they always use a pacemaker and get help like that?

1) It is less about drafting and more about not having to do the mental work of running an even pace.

2) Usually for record attempts you will have a rabbit, yes. 

Is a rabbit who can pace these record attempts later in the race by being a lap or two down allowed? Just curious

BeeRunB

1) It is less about drafting and more about not having to do the mental work of running an even pace.

2) Usually for record attempts you will have a rabbit, yes. 

Thanks. Interesting. Has this always been the case? I'm really surprised at this---I've been a bit unaware--I knew they used them in marathons. I just checked on Jim Ryun, and he led the whole race, no drafting or being helped. I would think that part of the craft or sport at that high level would be that you rely on your own sense of pace, and not need someone to draft behind for the first half (I know drafting is part of racing, but when the rabbit is there specifically to poop out half way---and is not really racing---and you are obviously faster than everyone--and the only way you can draft is to have a rabbit---that seems, I don't know, like extra help). I think the same way when I see a caddy helping a pro to line up his putter so it is on line.

MrH

Yes, they've "always" used them. Roger Banister was paced to break 4 minutes, and by two runners.

In many big meets there will be multiple rabbits in a distance race if there is a serious record attempt.

But records aren't the same as championship medals.

The process is the goal.