2013 Sub-19 5K (Read 1932 times)

In.

I've run it before but that feels like a lifetime ago.  Spent the last year and a half just struggling through injuries.  I feel like I have most of that sorted out and am ready to actually get some consistent training together.  I'm planning on running a couple 5k's in March, don't think i'll be in sub-19 shape by then but good to set a benchmark.  Ran a 19:53 a couple weeks ago off sporadic (at best) training.

Buelligan

Well, this year hasn't gone as planned.

Not on track at all.... this is gonna be harder than I thought.

Well, this year hasn't gone as planned.

Not on track at all.... this is gonna be harder than I thought.

Tell me about it. I've been battling posterior tibial tendinitis since the start of the year and haven't run in almost 3 weeks. I'm hoping to get clearance to start running again soon. And when I do, my focus is on my target spring race (first Boston, now probably a May marathon).

Post Asthma Era PRs: 5K--18:39 (Mar 2016), 10K--39:40 (Feb 2018), HM--1:28:04 (Jan 2017), MAR--2:59:12 (November 2017)

19:48 today. Forgot to take my watch so I'm not sure how the pacing went. I felt I had a bit to spare at the end. So reasonably encouraging.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/cambridge/results/athletehistory/?athleteNumber=66823

Runner100

-

I always wondered why people in a "goal" thread would post about an upcoming race for which they were not planning to chase the time goal. And yet ...

Running the Blue & Green 5k next weekend.  I've no idea what the course is like, so my generic goal is 19:10 -- a 15sec improvement on my PR.

MTA: not sure which race this weekend ... but the goal remains the same.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Runner100

-

This might not be the exact intent of the topic but I'm going to throw it out anyway.  I ran a tempo earlier this week....just by effort....nice an comfortable hard, wasn't really watching the numbers.  Afterward, while looking at the stats, I realized I had just run 18:51 for 5k during a 4 mile tempo.  I've only every broken 18 once and that was about 15 months ago.  The last 5k I ran, a turkey trot, was disappointingly slow.

Not sure where that speed came from but I wish I had been racing that day.  Perhaps training is starting to pay off, good luck to everyone.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

20:50.   slow start, cold, windy day and i'm still fat and slow.  but for my first race in a long time, i'm pleased.  Its a starting point.  Time to start adding on  more easy miles so i can start adding in more workouts.

nothing to see here.  

Buelligan

Tell me about it.

Okay... missed a shake down race on January 13th.  Figured I'd use it to blow out the cobwebs and set a baseline to shoot from this year.  Life slapped me in the face so hard the week before there was no way I was going to make it.  Then an unplanned month off... it started out as two days off and just went downhill from there.  I'm back on the program, but shooting for much later in the year than I initially planned.

Hello all.  Is there a sub-20 5K thread?  I can't find one for 2013.  I'm 37, started running last fall and posted a couple of 21:30s and decided at that time that sub-20 would be my goal for 2013.  First attempt is this Saturday at the Anthem 5K in Louisville, although I expect it will be later in the year before I hit the goal.

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013

Runner100

-

C-R

Hey all. I'm needing a bit of a challenge and thought to jump in here. Ran the first 5k of a 10k this morning in 19:57 but couldn't hang on. One minute in a year seems doable if I can train consistently and lose that extra 10 lbs.

Count me in.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Buelligan

Hello all.  Is there a sub-20 5K thread?  I can't find one for 2013. 

No, you're just gonna have to try and break into the 19s this year.

Seriously, if there isn't a sub-20 thread, go ahead and start one.

Chris UK

A near miss last Tuesday for my first attempt -

Cleethorpes Promenade Winter 5K series - 19:01 - a PB by 1 second..!!

I don't run many 5Ks so no idea when my next attempt will be. My main focus for this year is sub-40 for 10K and I have a reasonable chance for that this coming weekend.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM