Adding speed and mileage (Read 76 times)

Gadus

I realize this may be a problematic question but generally speaking, for someone getting back into running (who has remained reasonably fit in the interim), what should be added first, speed or mileage? I don't really have any reference points for a good speed to shoot for and a good distance (for the day or week). I've already gotten some advice to keep it mostly aerobic for most of my workouts but I'm really not sure what speed and mileage are reasonable for me. I'm currently running 3 miles a day, 4-5 days a week at about 9:30-10 minute miles, generally feeling as if I could go further and/or faster but not wanting to push too much just yet. An 8 minute pace would be great and I think highly doable but again, I just don't know what to expect.

I also would like to ask if it's okay or recommended to run every day (something I actually would like to work up to, especially as the weather warms and the mornings lighten. When I did this previously, I had no problems with it.

What I know is I love running and my goals would be:

-to compete in some 5k races this summer just for fun

-to run faster, longer and with greater endurance.

-to lose some weight

Any and all appreciated.

g

an amazing likeness

False dichotomy.  

With respect to your everyday running pace, increasing mileage WILL increase your speed.  Much more so, in the long term, than trying to do speedwork on what little base you have now.

(pro tip -- you can click the link at the top of quote block to read the source message thread, which has good discussion of topic)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Gadus

Thanks. That's all I needed.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I strongly agree with the above quote!

And to address your other question, it's fine to run every day.  I have done so in the past (and expect to do it again); I like to work up to it by running first every other day, then 2 on 1 off, then 3 on 1 off.  The important thing is to build your weekly mileage slowly, and keep most of your runs at an easy pace, and to be willing to abandon the streak if you feel tweaked or on the verge of injury (or sickness).