Running in heat!! (Read 128 times)

Gizmo2019

its been a horrible 3-4 days in NorCal! Getting to about 100 degrees F. I mainly use the treadmill but the AC -@ the community work out room isn’t working well despite a fan swinging back and forth in my face.

ive spoiled myself by training in mostly cooler temps. Maybe 40s-60s tops.

im having trouble with stagnant air, my muscles are fine, my lungs aren’t burning, but I’m just heat exhausted after about 15 min at a 9:30 pace (i can do this pace for about 45 min normally).

i dont want to push myself too hard as I have kids to raise and watch and I need to be healthy for them. But is like to try to condition myself for heat. Is there a procedure besides.just taking it slow. I feel like such a wimp!

all that progress then I can’t take a little heat.

My first race will be in oct (10k) but early in the morning so it should be pretty cool at that time...50-60s? Unless there’s a heat wave. And my ultimate goal is the SF marathon in July.

should I bother conditioning for heat? Drinking water didn’t seem to help but maybe I should do it way in advance.

ugh I hate running and I love it so much.

paul2432

It takes about two weeks to acclimate to heat.  You won’t be as fast as you would in cooler temperatures but you’ll be faster than you would unacclimated. The good news is that training in the heat has the benefit of making you faster in cooler temperatures.

Next year, as the hot weather approaches seek out warmer runs so you can acclimate as the weather warms up.  If you think you might do a hot race sauna sessions can help as well.

kcam

Acclimitization is key, as paul said.  since I run at noon every day I get acclimatized slowly but surely as the seasons change.  My advice is to not try to avoid it, just go slower, shorter or both.  I live in NorCal as well so I hear you on the heat.  I've run every day this week at noonish.  I try to find a little shade on my runs but it is what it is.  It will make you a better runner when conditions are better.

Yeah, it sucked. I took Monday as a rest day because of it. I've heard the silver lining is that the heat makes you work harder, so you can cut your run down and get the same workout. Instead of 8 do 5, or something like that. This heatwave came on kind of sudden, and we didn't get a chance to ease into the heat.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Gizmo2019

Yes it did come on sudden, which I think made it harder.

okay thanks, I’ll keep at it. Yes I do see runners out at high noon and think how crazy they are in 100+ temps! But they/you must be acclimatized!

it is true surly bill , I felt like I barely put effort in a couple day’s ago, had to stop due to heat. But I came off the machine dripping sweat and sore muscles hours later...surprised me.

Notne

The last week here in south Texas has been killing me too, hot and all of a sudden incredibly humid, I'm basically crawling home.

But does running in the heat and humidity really do anything except make you better at running in the heat and humidity? I have read (including in these forums, IIRC) that it's not like it would give you a faster race time if the race were held in cooler weather. Anyone have a solid answer?

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

The last week here in south Texas has been killing me too, hot and all of a sudden incredibly humid, I'm basically crawling home.

But does running in the heat and humidity really do anything except make you better at running in the heat and humidity? I have read (including in these forums, IIRC) that it's not like it would give you a faster race time if the race were held in cooler weather. Anyone have a solid answer?

https://www.outsideonline.com/2098556/surprising-benefits-training-heat

As a practical matter, my own experience says "yes."  I trained an entire summer and fail in the heat and humidity and then went to a cooler climate to do the last week of taper and then to run the race.  Although I wasn't trying (because I really was on vacation) I had my fastest time and my easiest marathon run ever.

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335

AndyP19

My experience of running in heat is obviously need to drink more during runs especially over half an hour. Plan routes where there's drinking fountains, in really hot weather might need to drink every 10-15 minutes even. 
                  Also expect a big performance drop. that is completely normal. 
                  Some people who know nothing about running or exercise will act like running in heat is some kind of certain suicide mission which is rubbish. Obviously if you go out doing long tempo runs without water in full sun you are asking for trouble but listen to the body and be sensible it's good training for the body.
                  The important thing for me while in training is to keep running every day rain, hail or shine.
                  Other things are plenty of sunscreen, sunglasses, or hats, dress cool.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

I run in swampy South Carolina, but yes, acclimatizing helps matters. I suggest also learning to recognize thirst versus overheating. Sometimes you need to put cold water on your head and face, not necessarily chug more water.  It’s taken me years to figure out that balance for myself.

And, yeah, I’m slower in the heat.

You can do this, just adjust your expectations.

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
                    5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

Gizmo2019

I run in swampy South Carolina, but yes, acclimatizing helps matters. I suggest also learning to recognize thirst versus overheating. Sometimes you need to put cold water on your head and face, not necessarily chug more water.  It’s taken me years to figure out that balance for myself.

this is interesting...i guess you figure it out by trial and error..thanks