Garmin FR305 is going mute... again (Read 622 times)

The sound on my 305 has been getting slowly softer and softer.  At first I tried to deny it; the traffic was extra loud or it was never really as loud as I remembered.  But now there is no more pretense... even inside I can barely hear its beeps and chirps.  This is actually my second one.  The first had the same problem while under warranty and was replaced with my current one.  Now the warranty has expired.  I know this is a somewhat common problem... has anyone found a way to fix it?

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mine is 2.5 and still as loud as ever.  But I never wear it against bare skin, so it doesn't get gunked-up with sweat and sunscreen.  I either wear it over long-sleeves or over a wristband (I have some nifty Reebok wicking ones that are lightweight and perfect...though I have one helluva freaky tan line on my left wrist as a result).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

who knows...

My 305 does this now and then. It seems to lose volume and then after a while gain it back. I have no clue, unfortunately, on how to remedy or regulate this nonsense Sad
        "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin

My 305 stoped making sound all together after about 6 months.

Then one day the sound came back for about a week.  Now it chirps very softly every now and again.

I guess it is some sort of flaw in the 305

The right path is my path.
          kcam

check out this link.  It's from another Garmin thread on RA.  Scroll down to almost the bottom where the author talks about what happened to the speaker in his Garmin.  Probably the cause.

http://ctorunner.googlepages.com/dismantleforerunner205

jqc99

Can't help you with fixing, but to prevent this, I put a small piece of scotch tape over the sound holes.  You can still hear the sounds clearly, but it will prevent sweat from getting in there and corroding the electronics.

an amazing likeness

I think there is a lot of variable in the units.  I have two active and one retired/busted, and each has a different volume.  The one I use most days and is now at least 3 years old, is actually the loudest of the bunch, so sweat doesn't seem to have killed off the speaker.   The seldom used 'hot spare' is the quietest.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.