Weird Shoe Wear (Read 1012 times)

This probably belongs more here than in the gear section. I have a weird thing that's cropped up in both of my last two pairs of shoes. The first one..well that time I basically just cursed it out and said I wouldn't buy those again. But two pairs? Different manuf? So starting with the ASICS GelNimbus VII, and most recently with a pair of NB 1061s I've managed to wear through the padding that protects the upper part of your heel, so about halfway up the back of the shoe. This wouldn't necessarily be a problem but for the fact that what's wearing through is the plastic shield that they put in there to give the rear of the shoe some rigidity. Of course, this makes the shoes pretty much unwearable unless I want to deal with blisters on very short runs, and all out blood fest on anything over about 2mi. The sudden onset of this last year kept me from running a very cool race in Mexico and adding a second country to the dossier, very frustrating. Anyway, has anyone seen this before/have any idea what might be causing this? Are we talking stride, fit in the shoes, lacing, etc? It's not like the shoes have had a LOT of use, probably about 200mi for the first pair, more like 300 for the second. Tough to imagine compared to the insane durability I've gotten out of shoes in the past. I asked at the running store I'd been shopping at, and they were pretty much completely unhelpful. I don't think I'll actually be heading back there. Still, have to keep running, so it's off to get new shoes tomorrow. Thanks!

~J

Sounds like maybe your heel is slipping and wearing out the liner as a result? If your shoe has a pair of eyelets close together at the top of the shoe, that's a lace lock that can be used to cinch your laces down and hold your heel in place. Even if your shoe doesn't have a lace lock, you can create one by following the heel slip lacing instructions here: http://newbalance.com/techcenter/lacing.php Hope you get it sorted out, nothing sucks more than premature wear. Well actually nothing sucks more than bloody feet, caused by premature wear.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Sounds like maybe your heel is slipping and wearing out the liner as a result?
        I'd second this one. But also what you might want to check is the rigidity of the shoe itself. Most of today's "high tech" shoes are so rigid that they don't even bend where they are supposed to bend. Feet bend quite a lot more than most people realize. I thought Nimbus was supposed to have their arch area more flexible (I'm not as familiar with NB model you mentioned)... If the shoe doesn't bend around the arch area, then as your foot flexes right before the toe-take-off, the foot bends forward but the shoe trys to stay straight and your heel would try to slip off from the shoe; hense creating friction on the heel area. Another thing is the shoe possibly too big. Many of shoe store people still recommend this "thumb width" extra space at the tip of the shoe (toe area) which, as far as I'm concerned, is a bunch of BS. You do need SOME extra space but not that much. If the shoe is that much bigger than your foot and if it's rigid, that's a sure combination for the heel slipping out. (plus of course, inadequate lacing and possibly material of the socks). Another thing is, I don't know how long you've been running but, sometimes you get this bump on the heel (I have it on both my heel) and that definitely creates more wearing than normal smooth heel. You could try to place some low friction material--once again, I don't work for them, but there's a MN based company called Engo that sells a small blue low friction patch. You could probably cut off a small piece and cover the hole where plastic is exposed. This way, at least you don't have to trash $100 pair of shoes!
          This happend to my everyday sneakers, and I think it was because I never untie them...just force my foot in and out when I put them on and take them off. I was bending over the heel and the plastic popped through in that spot. You are probably more careful with your running shoes than that (I am) but it's just a thought.
          Heroes never die. They just reload.
            This happend to my everyday sneakers...
            It is particularly so simply because when you walk, you land more on your heel in sharper angle that there would be higher likelihood of heel counter and your heel rubbing.
              heel slip lacing instructions
              That's what I used with the Nimbus, I'm familiar.
              shoe possibly too big
              One of my feet is longer than the other, so one shoe will usually be too big if the other is to be just right, kind of sucks. I've seen it on both feet now for some reason.
              bump on the heel
              That's not something I've really heard about before, though now that you mention it they seem a little that way. Very curious all around, in any case, I'm off to the running store. It was just about time to replace these anyway, so not really a huge loss I figure.

~J

obsessor

Happens to me. I blame my feet. Narrow heel, wide forefoot. Flats work best. Try womens shoes. Ditto on the too big, and inflexible comment. Duct tape can slow the wear down. yup - bump on the heel, too.
                  One of my feet is longer than the other, so one shoe will usually be too big if the other is to be just right, kind of sucks. I've seen it on both feet now for some reason.
                  Most people's one foot is larger than the other but some enough to be noticed... My left foot is "noticeably" bigger than my right (though not that huge difference that I might need a half a size bigger shoe or anything; but enough to bug me!). I collect ALL my old insole; some are thicker than others; and if the size difference is enough to bug me, I usually switch around the insole until I feel just right. If that doesn't satisfy me, I place extra thin insole--something like Dr. Schule's insole or something--but in most cases, if you simply place the entire piece, that would be too much (not that much of a size difference...) so I would punch holes all over the place, place that underneath the insole of the shoe that feels bigger...continue chopping off holes until I just feel right. It's hard to explain--if you're interested, I can send you the image (I had taken images in order to explain to other people). Usually that's enough to compensate the foot size difference.
                    My left foot is "noticeably" bigger than my right...It's hard to explain--if you're interested, I can send you the image (I had taken images in order to explain to other people).
                    Yeah, my right is at least a size smaller than the left, I put them side by side and...yeah it's a little weird. I don't quite get what you mean about the insoles, if you have pictures that'd be great. Back from the store in any case. ASICS Gel-Cumulus 9 is the new shoe, it was close between that and the Mizuno Wave Creation 8.

~J

Fisher: How can I post "my" image here? Sorry, kinda high-tech iliterate! Or send me an e-mail; I'll send you the image: nobby415@msn.com
                      jomike

Have you tried the Gel Cumulus? The fit is similar to the Gel Nimbus, but it's lighter and more flexible and thus might be less prone to slip at the ankle.
                        starfish1000

Same thing happened to me with my right shoe. Wore a very large hole through the padding right down to the plastic in about 2 weeks. Had very bad blisters on back (slightly outside) right heel. Had the shoes for about 4 months and tried to persevere with walking and running-walking. Used lots of bandages. Complained to the store where I bought them and they took them back to send back to Asics stating that this was most likely a flaw with the shoe. They cost me about $235! Got full credit towards another pair of shoes. How's that for excellent customer service? I buy all my runners there. In short, take 'em back to the store and see what they'll consider doing. Good Luck k

Runner

You might want to try a Nike Vomero if the new shoe doesn't work beause(though I prefer the nimbus ix) it has a much softer contact point at the heal with more of an exoskeleton type of rigidity provider. I tried it to try something different from my Nimbuses and didn't like it as well but it will certainly work well for some people.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler