2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

One of the things I HATE most during running goal marathon (races) is the people TALKING Smile It doesn't drown out the pain (which you don't have until at least until the half of the distance) - quite opposite, it irritates  the hell out of me, breaks my internal rhythm (oh my, I just gave Mikkey a hint on his only opportunity to beat me ). Anyway, that's the deal...

I plan to run directly behind you at Boston 2021 and not say a word which will freak you out. Then after heartbreak hill I will make my move and say the words “if he dies, he dies” when I overtake you and end up beating you by at least 2 minutes. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sling I am thinking about hanging with them for the first few aid stations to see how it goes, and make a final decision later. If it’s as big as I expect aid stations will become a problem with no one wanting to work together and having different goals. 6:50/mi shouldn’t be impossible and the assistance of a group with the wind might be negated by the heat and humid increase from everyone breathing. Plus someone tripping is a fear.

I’m leaning towards starting behind them, doing 6:50/mi pace and maybe even a slow 7 minute first mile. I have a few more hours to think about it but I like this approach right now. After 3 miles of 6:50 I’ve caught up to the 6:53/mi average. Also uses people ahead of me being faster to pull me along. I’m expecting some fast relay runners towards the finish along with some fast half marathon runners since both options are available at CIM.

mikkey I love your thinking.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Good luck to all the CIM crew! Looking forward to tracking that one.

Jayluf: sorry to hear about the injury but good call to not run on it.

2:52:16 (2018)

CalBears

I plan to run directly behind you at Boston 2021 and not say a word which will freak you out. Then after heartbreak hill I will make my move and say the words “if he dies, he dies” when I overtake you and end up beating you by at least 2 minutes. 👍

Keep thinking positively Mikkey - you will need it! Smile Luckily I only watched first Rocky Smile.

I actually had one moment of kind of a shame (and it was not last year when DW passed me at CIM - because I was obviously out of shape) - it was when Dan passed me in Boston 2016 - that was upsetting a little bit. But wait, later the same race I passed your favorite girl Rachel (you remember her from RWOL right? :-) and that soothed my pain a little bit.

Brew - you are in luck - I found my blue 2011 Nike t-shirt with "Running" word on it - so, I will wear it - black shorts and black shoes. Wait... I might need to get white socks to fight that blackness...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - you are in luck - I found my blue 2011 Nike t-shirt with "Running" word on it - so, I will wear it - black shorts and black shoes. Wait... I might need to get white socks to fight that blackness...

awesome. I MIGHT not see you at the start. I keep thinking of starting behind the pacers as my approach, maybe using the pack for miles 6-10 if it's really windy (8mph with 80% chance of rain) and keep going with 6:50 pace. A second, maybe easier option, is to hang with the pacers for the whole first half and see how I feel about going faster at that point.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

awesome. I MIGHT not see you at the start. I keep thinking of starting behind the pacers as my approach, maybe using the pack for miles 6-10 if it's really windy (8mph with 80% chance of rain) and keep going with 6:50 pace. A second, maybe easier option, is to hang with the pacers for the whole first half and see how I feel about going faster at that point.

I was also thinking about hanging out behind 3 hours pacers group - like 50-70 meters behind - just to keep them in sight - if I have sub 3 in me, then I will not have any problem passing them in the second half but it is much easier for me mentally just hang out back there and do not think about pace - of course if the pacers are good. Did you talk with the pacer about his strategy?

Running Problem

Problem Child

I was also thinking about hanging out behind 3 hours pacers group - like 50-70 meters behind - just to keep them in sight - if I have sub 3 in me, then I will not have any problem passing them in the second half but it is much easier for me mentally just hang out back there and do not think about pace - of course if the pacers are good. Did you talk with the pacer about his strategy?

Na. I don't know him. Didn't feel like strava stalking him. I've never run with a pacer and I've done well in marathons so doing my own thing might work best for me. I think I want to avoid the crowd at aid stations since I've never had to deal with 50-100 runners all trying to get water. Might not be as much of a problem with the weather. If I link up with you it might encourage me to hang back until half way and negative split the whole thing. I still don't know how much elevation will make a difference on race day. At this point all I know is no faster than 6:45 and the weather won't be what I had hoped/dreamed for.

I'll probably bring my raincoat and maybe some leg cover for the start. Possibly some other shoes to keep my race shoes dry. 90% humidity is going to be a new thing for me. I intend to add SNB to more areas than usual because my shirt will probably stick to me. I don't think I trust my mesh singlet not to chafe.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

With this relatively low temps and some wind the humidity should not be a factor. Actually, cross wind, if not too string would make cooling off while racing more effective. Everything looks more or less good - rain might be a little stronger than expected (was expecting drizzles/showers) and just let wind not to be a factor, that's all...

CalB - remember to have BORSCHT for breakfast on Sunday.   Good luck!!!

CalBears

CalB - remember to have BORSCHT for breakfast on Sunday.   Good luck!!!

Nah.... My pre-race morning routine is a foot long Subway - I can’t change the routine until it fails me, right?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Made it to Cali. Not too worried about the forecast. Yes it's not the unicorn weather I wanted, but it's still "go for A goal" weather.

Not sure if there's any meet up planned. Nimmals - I'll definitely be looking for you in the corral since I imagine we'll set up shop in the same area. Assuming the weather isn't horrific, I'll probably get a beer right after in this beer garden, so may see folks there too.

Let me know. Tomorrow I probably won't be meeting up at all as I plan on laying in bed and being a complete bum after my shakeout 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Brew, so you can identify Cal in the crowd Sunday here is a recent pic of him from his training. He will probably wear this outfit for the race.

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’m hitting the expo tomorrow. I’m a few miles North of sac with wife’s family. Just going to start behind the pacer and aim for 6:50s. It’s what I trained for and makes a good math equation to figure out during running. No running other than CIM.

Probably not sticking around too long after because my wife flys out early Monday morning.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Good thing I brought my United States hoorag to wear. Team America #fuckyeah

Brew, so you can identify Cal in the crowd Sunday here is a recent pic of him from his training. He will probably wear this outfit for the race.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Awesome JT.

I won’t be sticking around long either, I have a 4 PM out of SFO I have to catch. But I’d like that one beer. Brew - this is motivation to run faster, so that you can catch me at the beer garden 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)