2016 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 290 times)

pedaling fool

Curious....Do they go back and clean up that blue line they paint for the NYC marathon or does it just weather away?

BTW, this will be interesting to follow: http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2016/11/01/gwen-jorgensen-new-york-marathon-triathlon-olympics/

Excerpt:

"Olympic triathlon champion Gwen Jorgensen‘s preparation for her first marathon has been, well, unusual.

Seven days before she races the New York City Marathon, Jorgensen completed her longest competition of the year, more than twice the 26.2-mile marathon distance.

She won the Island House Triathlon, a three-day, stage race totaling 64 miles of swimming, biking and running in the Bahamas last Sunday.

Her combined time for the three days was 3:55:01, likely more than an hour longer than she’ll spend on the roads in New York this Sunday."

Julia1971

I think taper madness hit me with full force today.  I can barely think or talk about anything other than the race.  I did my last workout yesterday where I tried to dial into what felt like marathon pace for 2 miles.  I ended up at 8:18 pace, which is slower than I would have expected.  But, I tend to train lower than I race.  Someone once called me a "gamer".  Smile  Still, I'm thinking 8:20 pace is an achievable goal and 8:00 pace might be a stretch.

The weather forecast is still looking favorable.  A little on the chilly side and some wind, but not terrible conditions.

Another interesting story line is Michael Wardian's attempt at the fastest time for the World Majors

https://www.facebook.com/nycmarathon/photos/a.447511943323.259798.71638113323/10154767855733324/?type=3

But, I think the first thing I'll want to check once the race is over is how Molly did.  I'm hoping one of the spectators will have a sign letting us know.

Nasreddin Hoja

I believe the blue line wears off.

The Fred Lebow statue has been moved to the finish line.

NicolasBedmore

New York marathon 2016 will go through the five boroughs of the city. I am sure it will be exciting to watch but real hard work is required for participants who are running all through. If you want to learn about NYC Marathon check this blog, it has everything you need to know, route map, download guide, channels, and live streaming https://www.vpnsports.com/blog/nyc-marathon-live-streaming/

Julia1971

Thought I'd wish everyone a great race tomorrow!  For you first timers, you're in for one of the best running experiences out there - New York's biggest block party!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thought I'd wish everyone a great race tomorrow!  For you first timers, you're in for one of the best running experiences out there - New York's biggest block party!

Yep, it's great!  Good luck everybody!

(I'll be elsewhere.)

Julia1971

Roll call!  How did everyone do?

I ran 3:33:34.  (Yes, I wish I had pushed a little harder fro 3:33:33.)  I went for sub-3:30 but knew it probably wasn't going to happen by the middle stages on Brooklyn.  I fought back on First Ave but was definitely done by the time I got to the Bronx.  I rallied again in Central Park for a respectable finish.  In the end, I'm not that disappointed considering how this training cycle went... I'll post a link to a full race report on my blog in a couple of days.

Also, the weather wasn't as ideal as the numbers would suggest.  I thought it was pretty warm and windy until the Bronx.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Roll call!  How did everyone do?

I ran 3:33:34.  

Congratulations!

I ran 4:21:01. I'm happy with the time -- although much slower than my sub-4:00 times in 2013 and 2015, it's a good time for me considering my training this time around. It's a BQ -4, which was my goal.

I liked the weather better than last year (too hot), but I agree, it was all over the place. Cool and windy in Brooklyn and hot and sunny in Manhattan.

Have to say, the city looked gorgeous and again, the crowds were incredible!

Julia1971

Congratulations!

I ran 4:21:01. I'm happy with the time -- although much slower than my sub-4:00 times in 2013 and 2015, it's a good time for me considering my training this time around. It's a BQ -4, which was my goal.

I liked the weather better than last year (too hot), but I agree, it was all over the place. Cool and windy in Brooklyn and hot and sunny in Manhattan.

Have to say, the city looked gorgeous and again, the crowds were incredible!

Great job!  And, congrats on the BQ-4.  Hope you're not too sore today.

+1 on how gorgeous the city was.  And the spectators were amazing as usual.  I really think this year's crowds may have been the biggest I've seen.  And, I think more people asked or congratulated me about the marathon, too.

I head home later today and will try to view the video of the elite races.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Nice work everyone!

I paced the 3:35 group to a nice 3:34:55 but the last 2 miles were pretty brutal on my legs!  Sore today but not too bad, I was definitely better the day after last year.  I could definitely run still.  Today, nope.

A buddy took some screen grabs of me on the start line of Wave 2 Blue which was cool.  I was smack in the center, right on the line easy to spot with my pacer bib and sign.  Lead Wave 2 for about 45 seconds before people shot past me up the bridge ;-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

Julia1971

Nice work everyone!

I paced the 3:35 group to a nice 3:34:55 but the last 2 miles were pretty brutal on my legs!  Sore today but not too bad, I was definitely better the day after last year.  I could definitely run still.  Today, nope.

A buddy took some screen grabs of me on the start line of Wave 2 Blue which was cool.  I was smack in the center, right on the line easy to spot with my pacer bib and sign.  Lead Wave 2 for about 45 seconds before people shot past me up the bridge ;-)

Congrats!  Curious...  Did you run even splits?  I ran with the 3:30 pacers for a while.  I found it a little difficult - mostly because I wasn't in 3:30 shape.  Smile  It was a great motivator, though.  And, I think they hit their marks, too.  Great job by all of you!

btb1490

Congrats to all!  I hope everyone had the race they hoped for!

Curious, my time on the website is 1 minute faster than my watch time.  Did anyone else have this discrepancy?  I was in the Blue corral in wave 1.

Julia1971

This year's NYCM was the most marathon finishers ever!

Curious, my time on the website is 1 minute faster than my watch time.  Did anyone else have this discrepancy?  I was in the Blue corral in wave 1.

Not quite a minute but my time is 8 seconds faster than what I had by Garmin.  I chalked it up to being in the Green wave and not stopping my watch the moment I crossed the finish.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

My official time was pretty close to my Garmin time, but about 30 seconds faster. I also figured I may not have turned it off right after finishing. Also, my Garmin was having trouble keeping a signal on the lower level of the bridges (I was Green), so that could affect what was recorded.

btb1490

I definitely started and stopped my watch as I crossed the start/finish mats.  I checked the pictures of the race clock when I crossed the starting mat and when I crossed the finishing mat, and the difference between those times is what I got on my watch.  So yes, my time listed online is 1 minute faster than what my time should be.  I know the online times are considered unoffical still, but I think I'll send a note to the race officials about the discrepancy.