Running Belt Help (Read 198 times)

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

Hey all,

I need a little advice regarding running/hydration belts. I'd like an in-expensive on that has either a single larger water bottle or two smaller shot bottles. The cargo pocket I would like to be able to fit my droid phone, key, and maybe ID. Any suggestions?

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

#artbydmcbride

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'd recommend going hand-held.  The bouncing and chaffing of the belt is incredibly annoying.

If you do go belt, avoid Nathan little-bottle belts.  The caps don't secure well and end up splashing all over the place.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I like the UD Strider (see link above) - holds 24oz bottle and has pocket on opposite side that will hold food or shell or camera or ... Buckle goes at side so water in back and pouch up front or vice versa - balance each other. It rides on my hips just fine. Also can carry ice spikes on the belt as well as balaclava. The single angled bottle doesn't interfere with anything. I replaced the UD bottle with Specialized bottle (REI branded). The single 20+oz bottle is easier to deal with at aid stations since it's got larger mouth. I don't like carrying things in my hands - needed for too many other things.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Hobby Jogger Especial!

Another vote for the Speedbelt 2. I added two large pockets to the front for my phone and fuel.  I also put the race bottles on.  I really like this system.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-NS2B13.html

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-NATHLP.html

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-NA8RF2.html

Nathan Speedbelt 2.  Review: http://ultracassie.blogspot.com/2013/06/got-water-nathan-speedbelt-2-review.html

some call me Tim

My wife and I are happy with the ifitness belts we got. The basic belt is a small neoprene kind of thing and allows for accessorizing with a few different sized water bottles with holsters and additional phone case (but the main pouch will fit a smartphone). It stays in place (in any water bottle configuration, including the lopsided single bottle option) much better than anything I've used, but my experience is far from comprehensive.

Mysecondnewname

Hey all,

I need a little advice regarding running/hydration belts. I'd like an in-expensive on that has either a single larger water bottle or two smaller shot bottles. The cargo pocket I would like to be able to fit my droid phone, key, and maybe ID. Any suggestions?

I like this one:  http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/hydration-belts/runlite-hydration-belts/runlite-4

Doesn't bounce.  Comes in a lot of configurations and you can mix/match parts.  The smaller sized pouch fits my phone, ID, and key like a glove.  Available cheaper on Amazon.

The only downside to me is that you need to get used to sliding the bottles in and out of the clip (best to slide in from the bottom of the clip up for a secure hold).

TJoseph

I have been travelling to Guam on business and found that I need water for longer than about an eight mile run.  I just bought the Nathan Speed 2R and tried it out a couple of days ago.  It didn't bounce at all.  The bottles are only 8 oz, but I think it will be enough for my purposes.  I don't think the pouch in front would fit a larger smart phone though.

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

Thank you all for the input. A lot of great suggestions and definitely a lot of different belts out there. Do people own more than one belt and use accordingly?

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

npaden

Right now I have the iFitness race belt that doesn't have hydration bottles, but holds my phone, etc.  I wear it for runs 8 miles or less.  I generally don't feel like I need to have water on runs of 8 miles or less unless the conditions are very hot and sunny and I'm running full out.

I have a Nathan hydration backpack vest thing that holds a 2 liter water bladder and I wear it on my longer runs.

That iFitness hydration belt with the 2 small water bottles would be nice for those in betweeners, warm sunny days with runs in the 8 to 12 mile range.  Sometimes I don't want to wear my vest for a 10 mile run as it seems overkill, but having a couple small water bottles would be perfect.

Anything over 12 miles and I like the vest.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Thank you all for the input. A lot of great suggestions and definitely a lot of different belts out there. Do people own more than one belt and use accordingly?

I only own one belt that I use - and a collection of "didn't make the cut" belts in the garage. Wink

However, I do own and use a few different backpacks and am trying a new vest (for the longer races that have aid stations, but need something between). Each has their purpose. And I also have a number of packs that have been improved upon or use for trail work.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

delicate flower

I'd recommend going hand-held.  The bouncing and chaffing of the belt is incredibly annoying.

If you do go belt, avoid Nathan little-bottle belts.  The caps don't secure well and end up splashing all over the place.

I agree with this.  I went from a one large bottle belt, to a four small bottle belt, to a handheld Amphipod.  Some folks say they don't want to carry anything in their hand.  Neither do I.  The strap on the bottle is such that it wraps around your hand and you barely have to hold onto the thing.  I tried DW's once and have since made it my own.  Big grin

I have a Spibelt that I wear snug around my hips if I need to carry my phone with me.  Road ID for my ID.  Key goes in shorts pocket.

<3

Outside Lane

I like this one:  http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/hydration-belts/runlite-hydration-belts/runlite-4

Doesn't bounce.  Comes in a lot of configurations and you can mix/match parts.  The smaller sized pouch fits my phone, ID, and key like a glove.  Available cheaper on Amazon.

The only downside to me is that you need to get used to sliding the bottles in and out of the clip (best to slide in from the bottom of the clip up for a secure hold).

I have this same one - works great.  You can take off the clips for bottles you don't need on shorter runs or runs with other water stops.  It doesn't bounce and pocket can hold gels and phone and keys....

See how they run...

running metalhead

However, I do own and use a few different backpacks and am trying a new vest (for the longer races that have aid stations, but need something between). Each has their purpose. And I also have a number of packs that have been improved upon or use for trail work.

With backpack you mean real ones? I mean, not the Nathan type of vest with bladder?
                              Would you mind to post the models / brands ?

I don't need one right now becuase my mileage is limited to marathon distance (and I almost never drink or eat while running). But I am going to make my "entree" in the ultras in the second half of next year.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                              - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                              - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                              - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                              - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                              - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)