New to Running (Read 1083 times)

tle

I'm 40 and new to running. I am in not bad shape, play hockey once a week with sporadic cardio on an elliptical machine. I did run 10k back in high school track. I have clearance from my doctor to take up the sport. What I have noticed is that all of the running programs start real slow - jog, walk etc. for several weeks before attempting 3-5k jogs. I am able to go out my from door and do 5k in about 25 min without overdoing it. Here is my question. Should I follow the programs or go on my own pace. My goal is to run a spring marathon next year.

an amazing likeness

Well be ready...you are going to get about 5,203 replies....

Its your call, however keep in mind that the programs have one advantage over you doing it on your own -- they are proven to work for a lot of people under a lot of different situations.  And past success is a good indicator of future success.

Jogging, walking and all that slow stuff that concerns you has a purpose -- time on your feet to build up your capacity for running.  Just like you skate slowly to warm-up and your don't hammer all out during every shift on the ice.

Start with time duration as your goal.  Run 30 minutes every day, or 20 minutes, or 60 minutes, whatever.  Then figure the level of effort that gets you there, combining walk, run jog.

Oh, and do this -- follow a program at first until you learn what works for you.  At least let the program get you jumpstarted.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

+1 what MilkTruck said. While Hockey certainly works cardio it uses different muscles than running. All important - listen to your body and try to avoid injury due to over training.

bob e v
        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

All important - listen to your body and try to avoid injury due to over training.

That's the key.  While a 5K may be easy, make sure you take it slow and gradually build up the time on your feet.  Last thing you want is an injury that prevents you from running AND playing hockey.  Be consistent with the running and enjoy it.

Running Rev'd

I started running after several years of other kinds of exercise, elliptical, weight-training, etc. Every time I started to run on my own, I would run for a couple of months, be miserable, and give it up.

This go-round, I started running with my husband using the C25K program. At first, I was indignant. I certainly was not "couch", and I thought the first weeks were easy. But it taught me how I needed to run, and for the first time in my life, I actually ENJOYED running. After finishing C25K, I ran my fastest 5K ever and have yet to experience any injuries, even after training for and running a half marathon.

All this to say that it's certainly up to you, but it's rarely a bad thing to start slow and build up, especially in getting your body accustomed to the pounding it takes during running.

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

DoppleBock

Welcome -

When I took up running - I started with a program like this:

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/advanced2/advancedII.htm

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/advanced1/advanced1.htm

I am not a big fan of moderation 

My only mistake was I did not know the purpose of each run I did and ran most of them way to fast to get the maximum benefit from the run. 

Then I read:  Daniels "The running formula" and Pfitzingers "Advanced Marathoning" - I still ran some runs way to fast for the purpose of the run, but much less often.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

MrH

Yeah ... listen you your body and err on the side of being conservative, especially regarding pace. If you have a decent background in sports you may do just fine starting at the level of jogging every day for four or five miles or more. For some that seems ridiculously challenging, for others it's not.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

+1 to what MrH said. 

Running programs are for average people, and half of all people are above average.  A friend started running shortly after turning 50.  His first run was six miles.  Two weeks later, he was running 12 miles.  Three months after starting, he did a 30 mile run.  He described the first 24 miles as "easy" and last 6 as "I had to work a little bit".  He had no problems or injuries.  He was a very above average runner. 

Take it easy, listen to your body, and remember that muscles get stronger faster than bones and tendons.  You just might be an elite runner someday if you stick with it. 

tle

Thanks for the feedback. I think that I will continue the 5k run 3X per week for a few weeks. If all goes well I'll gradually increase my distance by the 10 percent rule and a month or two start following an established distance training program.