Running stairs ? (Read 2955 times)

I've been trying to build my strength up, by including other things other than running.  Like biking, core workouts, intervals, and running stairs. 

For those who run bleacher ( or something similiar) stairs, how many do you do?  Do you run back down the stairs or walk?

I find it very hard to run down and have been walking.

BTW, this is very hard for me to do.  I have a flight of stairs that are wide steps, approximately 35 steps.  Today I ran up them 15 times, and my legs were mush.  I mean mush.  

- Anya

"run" "2" "eat"

i love running steps. that's one of my fave workouts.

i usually go more slowly, jog or sometimes walk, going down because the risk of falling. i focus on form going down, more like squats, working the quads. if i go too fast down, not only do i risk falling, but i get less out of it physically. going up i emphasize high knees and light touches. i generally go 30 mins session and generally use steps that are in bleachers - either in a gym or outside by a sports field. bleachers are usually set up in such a way that i can go up, down, then across to the next stairway, up, down, across, and so on back and forth across the bleachers. the across parts are flat and give a small break between the ups and down.

also - i either try to keep a stead rate the entire time or i build up to a faster pace and then back down. i don't do an interval style of alternating faster and slower nor do i try to start slow and end fast. that's just what i've found works to get me the most out of the steppers.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

protoplasm72

I haven't done it in a while.  I used to work in a 6 floor building and I would run the stairs after work.  30 - 60 minutes running up and down.  I started doing it as training for climbs up some of the tall buildings we have in Chicago.  I think I started with 15 minutes with slow walk downs and worked up to 60 minutes with running down in a few months.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

an amazing likeness

I haven't done them in quite a while...but back when I used to routinely work stairs, I liked bleachers for a combo of stair and sprints:

Start at the left-most and run up.

Sprint across the top to the first stairs and down.

Hard spring back to the left-most and run up.

Sprint across top the second stairs down.

etc. Until you get to going up the the left and down the right-most.

Jog a track lap really easy.

Start again.

Ouch.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Good info.  Thanks.

It's tough, that's for sure. And man, my calves are barking today now too.

- Anya

OMG!! I LOVE stairs!!  A running friend introduced me to them last fall as a replacement for speedwork in the winter. I run 7 flights up and down. I do it about 7 to 9 times. First time up, I walk carrying my purse and coat, which I leave at the top of the stairwell (it's locked at the top, only nurses have access) then I run down, I mix it up by doing every step 1 flight, then 2 steps at a time next flight (it's actually easier than you'd think).and alternate this the entire workout. I use a pile of pennies at the top to keep track of how many times I've gone up and down. At first I would have to rest for several seconds at the top, but as I've gotten stronger I have tried to increase the intensity of the workout by decreasing the resting. When I first started doing this workout my legs would be seriously shaking when I left and even after I got home. Now, not so much, which means I just keep adding more repetitions. I run down the stairs as safely as I can, I hold on to the handrail lightly, (my steps are concrete), safety first! I can't explain it but I am addicted to this workout!! I am also doing Spin class as an alternative to running so often. "They" say spinning helps with leg turnover. Any hoo, I love running but, I love mixing it up to avoid over use injuries. I am now only running on average 2 times a week. 1 short and one longer. I started this less running thing last fall and now that we are back into racing season and I have done about 3 races I have found my times are the slighly faster than my races from last year. I'm 51 and not trying any more to get alot faster, just trying to remain where I'm at and be competetive in my age group. Happy stairs!!!

Upcoming: 5/15/11 Door Prairie Duathlon ~Sunburst Half 6/4/11 ~ Warrior Dash midwest 6/19/11 

Completed: 4/16/11 Taltree 10 miler Street/trail 1:37, 4/2/11 Ringing in Spring 5K Valpo Y  26:43  ,  3/5/11 Foot pursuit 5k trail 33:26~ Haunted Hustle 5k Trail 10/24/10 33:37 , Zombie Run 5k, Traverse City, Michigan 10/30/10 28:37, R & R Virginia Beach half 2:11, YMCA Sprint Tri 9/5/10 1:36

OMG!! I LOVE stairs!!  A running friend introduced me to them last fall as a replacement for speedwork in the winter. I run 7 flights up and down. I do it about 7 to 9 times. First time up, I walk carrying my purse and coat, which I leave at the top of the stairwell (it's locked at the top, only nurses have access) then I run down, I mix it up by doing every step 1 flight, then 2 steps at a time next flight (it's actually easier than you'd think).and alternate this the entire workout. I use a pile of pennies at the top to keep track of how many times I've gone up and down. At first I would have to rest for several seconds at the top, but as I've gotten stronger I have tried to increase the intensity of the workout by decreasing the resting. When I first started doing this workout my legs would be seriously shaking when I left and even after I got home. Now, not so much, which means I just keep adding more repetitions. I run down the stairs as safely as I can, I hold on to the handrail lightly, (my steps are concrete), safety first! I can't explain it but I am addicted to this workout!! I am also doing Spin class as an alternative to running so often. "They" say spinning helps with leg turnover. Any hoo, I love running but, I love mixing it up to avoid over use injuries. I am now only running on average 2 times a week. 1 short and one longer. I started this less running thing last fall and now that we are back into racing season and I have done about 3 races I have found my times are the slighly faster than my races from last year. I'm 51 and not trying any more to get alot faster, just trying to remain where I'm at and be competetive in my age group. Happy stairs!!!

You go girl!!!!

I really think I overdid it coming "down" the stairs. This is my 2nd week doing them, but the most I"ve done at one time.  ouch!

I'm excited to be trying new things, since the long distane in me is gone for good.   And, I know , I feel stronger and all this extra stuff is making me "feel " faster.   I should enter a race. But, man, there's not a whole lot of 10k's anymore.  I know, what a wuss! Who does 10 k's these days :-)

- Anya

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

We have a local highschool that sits on a hill and if you run the circumference there are 13 set of stairs and driveways and the distance around is about 1 mile.

The superchallange is to hit each step, which is tuff because there are some pretty short one, but there are also some that are very lengthy. great variations.

You know you did a workout when you do three laps of these.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                  Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Well, it's been a few weeks since I've done them, and decided to do them Monday.  Well, I can hardly walk now, since my calves are so sore. 

Sure wish I did not wear heals today : (

It's the going down the stairs that gets my calves.  Ouch !

- Anya

xor

I have a lot of respect for those of you who can run stairs.  I cannot.  For the same reason why I'm a menace on technical trails.

It is time for bifocals.

Not exactly running stairs, but I do this workout where I hold a 45lb plate to my chest and walk up and down my basement stairs.  The first time I dd this I thought 45 sounded light and would just be my warm-up.  After about 5 up and downs I had to rethink that plan.Smile

I've got a sick  set of stairs about a 10 minute drive from where I am 

1 mile, 5000 steps and 2100' of pure awesomeness.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

A sick of stairs

nice

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Not exactly running stairs, but I do this workout where I hold a 45lb plate to my chest and walk up and down my basement stairs.  The first time I dd this I thought 45 sounded light and would just be my warm-up.  After about 5 up and downs I had to rethink that plan.Smile

Now imagine if you were 45+ pounds over weight and this is what you had to deal with every day. Imagine the extra and constant stress on the heart, muscles, and joints.  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You're all animals.