Fun Race Swag and Awards (Read 89 times)

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

A million years ago, there was a thread for swag, but it might have been within a group.

Anyway, what interesting, cool, novel, etc race swag or awards have you gotten?

I've won a pecan pie several times, coasters, knit hat, coffee cups, bottle openers, scented candle, socks, buff, money, and car wash passes.

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
    5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

Altair5

Runs in the rain

The Wineglass Marathon gives a small stemless wine glass and a tiny bottle of champagne. They also give you a nice, long sleeve race shirt. But the best thing I ever got was after the Oak Tree Half there was a random drawing where I got a $100 certificate towards a pair of Asics shoes! I suspect they felt sorry for me and just rigged it so I won because they commented I could replace the beat up old pair I had worn for the race!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

Altair5--gift cards are the best!

My friends ran a race last week that had snow-globes and fleece throw blankets as age group awards!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I did an ultra a couple of years ago to get the finisher's axe. Probably the weirdest swag in my race collection. There are no awards for this slow runner so it's just finishing swag.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

keeponrunning

Fun SWAG I've gotten include a beer mug and a compass. Probably the most useful award was a watch I got for a coming in first female at a small 5k (back when people were happy with a timex with a timer).

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We have a gravel bike race in our area, the Hellkaat Hundred. Hubby and I won the very first tandem 50 miler (Hellkitten Fiddie)...our trophy was a framed pair of tiny mittens -- the category winners of the 100 mile race received a framed pair of "hundie undies").

A now sadly defunct duathlon in our area gave podium placers growlers from the sponsor brewery. That might be my favorite swag.

I can't think of any races I've done that have given really cool/useful swag to all participants. I'd really like durable, one-size-fits-all things like Buffs or Silipints. I'm SUPER tired of shirts of all varieties.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I won a Vitamix for winning a 5K.  That was awesome.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

That wins it all!

I won a Vitamix for winning a 5K.  That was awesome.

Half Crazy K 2.0

A local HM and marathon gives out sweatshirt blankets at the finish.  It is really warm and I sit under it all winter when watching TV.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A local HM and marathon gives out sweatshirt blankets at the finish.  It is really warm and I sit under it all winter when watching TV.

I would love that! I've also thought that the Summer races that go past a beach or two should give out beach towels.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zebano

My best swag ever was a TV as a door prize but of the one given out to everyone I'd have to say I like the hats and socks the best. One race gave away blankets which my kids adore and have gotten many years of use out of.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Half Crazy K 2.0

My best swag ever was a TV as a door prize but of the one given out to everyone I'd have to say I like the hats and socks the best. One race gave away blankets which my kids adore and have gotten many years of use out of.

OMG, this reminds me of the oddest door prize ever. Race was held near a Big Screen Store and Pet ER. There was a drawing for a TV and also a gift certificate for a pet neutering.

zebano

I did an ultra a couple of years ago to get the finisher's axe. Probably the weirdest swag in my race collection. There are no awards for this slow runner so it's just finishing swag.

ohh yeah ultra swag is the strangest. I ran a Nein hour race one year where everyone who completed 50k got a "spanker".... or a infant sized canoe paddle.

HCK - that's certainly strange and niche but a coupon for a pet neutering is actually a really great gift. I have a couple neighbors who could use that badly.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Here in the Sf Bay Area, a promoter called Brazen Racing has GREAT swag.

Even their shirts are wearable, not covered with sponsor logos and poor graphics. I usually take race shirts straight to Goodwill, but theirs are nice. I still wear the hoodie from the dirty dozen 12hr race; it just has a cool design front and back, no promotor or sponsor logos or names anywhere. The participant medal from that race doubles as a coaster, so there's actually a USE for it. They have a great design team.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Half Crazy K 2.0

As far as very different awards, I did a 5k that gave the top 3 men gift cards to the sponsoring gun range. Top 3 women got Athleta gift cards (kinda sexist).

I got a ton of Sephora swag from a 5k that was held at their warehouse in the middle of freaking no where.