Vitamins enhancing performance? (Read 470 times)

finney

Resident pinniped

So a couple weeks ago Walgreens had vitamins on sale super cheap. I figured I don't always have the time to eat as well as I'd like to - I do pretty well overall, but there are a few McDonald's and frozen pizza days here and there - and what the heck, it can't hurt right? So I picked up a bottle of their A to Z Performance. It's just a basic complete multivitamin that also has ginseng and ginko. I've heard ginseng can enhance the way your body uses oxygen, but there's only 50 mg in the tablet. I basically kind of forgot I was even taking them until I've noticed that my runs lately have been a lot easier and I've been able to go further and faster. Not a lot, I'm still a pretty new runner, but my distance per run has increased by 1/2 to 1 1/2 miles depending on how I feel, and I've gotten 30 sec/mile faster over the last week while still running completely comfortably. I'm not experiencing any injuries, soreness, or signs of overtraining. I should also add that I splurged and got some high-end running shoes. I always ran in good shoes before, but I got the new Triumph 5 from Saucony this time. I know the shoe is only as good as the person running in it, and I don't think that would totally explain this big jump in performance, but who knows... Could it be the vitamins, the shoes, a combination of the two, or just a coincidence?
      I doubt the vitamins would have such an immediate impact, unless your diet was truly horrendous. There's nothing like a pair of good shoes (especially when they are new) but if you were running in decent shoes before, it's probably not much of a factor. Initially, you can see rapid and significant gains in your speed. Unfortunately, the law of diminishing returns will eventually come into play and further speed gains will become more difficult to achieve. That's OK, because you can continue to boost your mileage as your conditioning improves, which will in turn improve your pace. And speed gains become even sweeter when you REALLY have to work for them. Sounds like you're off to a great start, keep up the good work.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Hawt and sexy

So did the person that sold you the vitamins say anything about flaxseed oil?

I'm touching your pants.

VictorN

I agree, unless you had a really bad diet, it probably isn't the vitamins. I think performance gains come in steps. You've just climbed to the top of a step. Enjoy it, and keep working so you can climb to the next one. Victor
          finney

Resident pinniped

So did the person that sold you the vitamins say anything about flaxseed oil?
            Nope. What's that supposed to do? And really, nobody sold me the vitamins. Like I said, I just picked them up at Walgreens and they're nothing special. And I should also say I'm not a brand new runner. I've been at it for a little over a year. My normal "easy" run is between 4-6 miles around 10:00 pace. Long runs are more or less when I have time. I'm running more for fitness and to feel good rather than see huge improvements, race, or run for performance. I just like to do it and it takes care of some physical conditions I have as well. Of course I've seen gains in endurance and speed from when I first started. When I began, a mile at 12:00 pace was hard. But, I haven't ever seen anything this drastic in such short a time.