explosive calf depression (Read 440 times)

Otium cum dignitate

I'm close to the end of my running tether - on what was supposed to be a long run this AM (17 mi), I pulled up lame at about 9 mi with pain in my calf that felt like a cross between a cramp and a charley horse that wouldn't go away. This has happened about twice a year for the last 5 or 6 years, so I know what's ahead - pain walking for a couple days and then discomfort running for a couple weeks ... an unintended running hiatus (thus the depression). I've tried everything - chiro, sports massage, custom orthotics, different types of stretches, MDs of all varieties, different shoes, etc, etc ... all to no avail. I'm looking for someone with a magic remedy (or at least someone to commiserate with) and am up for anything (bring on the snake oil!) to get back on the road without the specter of another calf gaff. Help!
    chrimbler

Same thing happened to me once, I slowed down, stayed away from hills for a while, and this was after 2 weeks off. If it's what i had, you have strained you achilles tendon at the insertion point. So just ice, rest and Vitamin I, then take it easy.
      Run like you stole it!