3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Seattlemax - Condolences on the loss of your father.

Strict WTF adherent

Are screw shoes still a thing?

Don't.

Yes, Kinvaras were about $60 when they came out, IIRC, and it always was possible to get an older pair for less. It seems Saucony has strayed from what the shoe originally was meant to be.

AceHarris

max: so sorry for the loss of your dad.

brew: what a week! Best of luck recovering and congrats again on the mini-brew! "NeRP??" I probably missed something there.

Marathon Recovery: sounds like we have a consensus rest time of between 1 day and 3 weeks, so.... I've only ran 3 marathons, but have found 1 week to be a good recovery period.

Woke up with body aches, cough, and congestion this morning, so I skipped my workout. Second illness in 3 weeks, frustrating. May be good to rest a little bit. The tiny people in my house have been waking us up a lot more often this week. Feeling worn down.

Pesto: SMOKIN' on that 5K!! Way to go!

Katia: I'm guilty of falling asleep during many shows, although not in Mindhunter.

Somehow I'm missing a lot on this thread. I can't keep up. We rarely run in the snow here, so not much to chime in there. I'm up for a new 2018 thread! Agree a link to the old thread is a must.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

A 3:20 Slowpoke

Max - condolences to you and your family.

Pesto- thought for sure you had 17Tight lippedx in you.....kidding.  Amazing time, nice work!

rlk - feeling any better?  Are you going to do another spring marathon since you’re not doing Barstow?

Thanks for the feedback on marathon recovery.  It looks like I’m kind of doing the reverse taper thing this time.

PR's   5k - 20:39 (2014).  10k - 42:04 (2014)   13.1 - 1:30:30 (2014)   26.2 - 3:14:21 2017)

Upcoming Races  -   Boston Marathon 4/18

Arvind Balaraman

Max - Condolences on the loss of your father.

Strict WTF adherent

So yeah, Adidas definitely is just trolling at this point

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I've never really been into the Boston jacket thing anyway, so I'm glad that this year's version isn't tempting.

My first marathon (and still my PR) was in the Kinvara 2.  But later versions of the shoe just didn't work for me.

Track tempo this am.  3 mile warm-up (9:21 pace), 6400m (approx 4 miles) on track in 25:52 (6:33/6:29/6:25/6:23) then 4 mile cooldown (9:35) plus injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Pesto - I missed the 5K result before: congrats!!!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Jim E

Max - Sorry to hear about you father passing away. I hope your family is doing OK.

McBen - Say what? Another Barstow jacket for directing traffic in. Every so often I wear my 2010 jacket (blue, yellow accents), and am the subject of envy.

Onwards an upwards. I ran a fartlek plus hills on Tuesday, and nearly 8 miles yesterday without feeling anything from the IT band. However I'm sore in some other places from the build. I'm running a relay race on Sunday (4+ miles per leg) and will probably cruise it.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

wow, that jacket is horrendous.

max- big hugs, i'm so sorry. glad you got to say goodbye.

mcben- hahaha. well, since the marathon, i've exclusively been getting fat. i've been working quickly - maybe we're even now. my plague is gone but i still have a juicy and horrible sounding cough.

kk- sorry about the air Sad ours is looking a little hazy right now, i think from the LA fires. as for tv shows, i blasted through all two season of netflix's The Crown while i was home sick. no clue what your taste in TV is like but it certainly hooked me in!

ace- interesting re. schedule! what do you do for work? i have a friend who's a nurse and she also does 3x12 hour days, and then 4 days off. she often ends up doing a rest day on two of the 12hr days and a short run on the third, but the rest of her week is great for running. (also, she is childless, not including her BF, so i'm sure that helps).

rovatti- i saw that on LR. i don't know what to believe - kilian has measured-ly proven himself as both incredibly and nonchalantly badass in the past, so i don't see what his motive would be. i don't think i  care enough to follow along, haha.

eliz- i am out of practice with winter running, but i agree with kk that snow is a decent bet. as long as there isn't ice underneath, you know you are gonna have a soft landing. i wouldn't try to sprint on it, but otherwise it's not bad!

cdave- thanks for asking! pretty much better, minus lingering cough. haha, NO. no spring marathon. but i told a coworker about R2R2R, a guy who has hiked down to phantom ranch, slept there, and hiked back out. he is scaring me about how difficult this undertaking will be. so i think i'm gonna have to train somewhat seriously .... will be interesting because i am planning on some speed development stuff in the spring. hm.

some super solid workouts from dwaveckeeneliz, pesto!!

jim- see you on sunday! i am leg #2. i will be jogging this one, haha.

ran 6 miles on wednesday with two teammates - i thought i was going to look down at my watch and it'd say 7:20s, but no, it was 8:10s :P  i feel squishy and (while running) my body feels foreign. also doing the relay this weekend that jim mentioned ... my squad of 4 all ran CIM so we will be cruising and earning our mimosas.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

pepperjack

pie man

is that where nick went--working for adidas?

11:11 3,000 (recent)

pepperjack

pie man

Ran a 5m this morning.  Best race in Baltimore.  Slightly better than last week.  Someone ran in a full Elsa costume.  No Rachael Schneider this year.

Max - condolences

11:11 3,000 (recent)

is that where nick went--working for adidas?

Well played Sir!

Nice workout today: 5 w/u (9:00), incl. 800m tempo/rust buster (6:40), then 12 x 300m (just under 5:40 pace) w/ long recoveries (500m), then 6x90m (100y) sprints in spikes! (just under 4:30 pace), 800m c/d barefoot (which was too cold)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Nice workout, Dad; and PJ, you just keep racing.

10 very easy (8:49) plus drills, strides, upper body weights and core.

Bummed out - at Broad Street in May I won this very cool glass trophy for fourth place masters female.  Somehow I managed to get it home safely, and stored it under my bed until I had a safe place to display it.

This weekend, I identified said safe place, and placed the trophy there, securing it with museum putty.  But the museum putty somehow shifted as it settled, and the trophy fell to the floor and shattered.

I'm really bummed about this.  I know it's only glass, but ugh.  I emailed the race to see if there was anyway I could buy a replacement - I don't expect I'll hear back until Monday at the earliest.

UGH UGH UGH

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

max:  Sorry for your loss.

ilana:  A belated thanks for the update on your condition.

Hey to everyone.  Finals was this past week, so reading has been spotty, and my week was light:  42.8 miles.  Looking forward to three heavy weeks starting tomorrow.

And this is why I run on the treadmill here (one of our students getting to his final exams)...

DkW ~ That's disappointing. Your feelings are understandable.

OMR ~ Umm, no.

My week:

M) 5.5 & recovery yoga

Tu) 7.5 w/ strides

W) 11 w/ 40 min fartlek (8x 3 min MP+20"/2 min MP-10")

Th) 4.5 easy

F) Rest

Sa) 11.5 w/ 5 w/u (9:00), incl. 800m tempo/rust buster (6:40), then 12 x 300m (just under 5:40 pace) w/ long recoveries (500m), then 6x90m (100y) sprints in spikes! (just under 4:30 pace), 800m c/d barefoot

Su) 16 rolling hills @ 8:25

Total: 56