haven't ran in 7 years training my ass off now for tough mudder can it be done in 4 months. (Read 1247 times)

dallasboycows

Is it physically possible to go from not running for 7 years(i do work at UPS and still pretty tone) to running at 90%+ maximum potential or is that dumb to even think I can get there in 4 months.

90 % of what ?

xor

Are you asking if 4 months of training like Rocky will help you perform at 90% of the best you could ever perform in Tough Mudder?

No. 

Probably not.

HOWEVER.

Reasonable training and NOT 'your ass off' every day would put you in position of having a lot more fun at Tough Mudder.  Probably.

Tough Mudder is coming to my area in September.  I've talked to a few people that have done it before and they never really ran at all prior...training that is.  They said the running is the easiest part and you really don't need the training to run the Tough Mudder.  It's the rest of the Tough Mudder that kicks your ass.

dallasboycows

haha training like rocky.  yes.  and i know that running isn't the toughest part but my friend said there is a half mile between most obstacles.  That means if my half miles are a minute or even more faster than some i can gain valuable time.  the rest of me im not worried about.  i can get in super shape working out, because that part of me isn't that out of shape.  Only a few months.  I've been doing max speed boxing intervals on the punch bag, pullups, situps, plyometrics, etc.  I'm just worried about the run but your not the first that told me running doesn't matter but i disagree as I want to be top 5% that gives me half a year to train for the worlds toughest mudder.  I know everyone is going to tell me that is a little ambitious and you may be right but I've done it before.

top 5% isnt a completely lofty goal, but it does seem a little daring. why bother training for a field placement in an event like that? if you go in with high expectations only to find out the field is more competitive, youre likely to push yourself beyond your limits and risk injury.

i would do as much training as you can handle, and on the day of the event give 100% of what you have. if anyone thinks less of you because you didnt place well, then they werent out there busting their own ass.

From what I've seen and heard about Tough Mudder, isn't there alot of waiting at some of the obstacles? 

uncontrollable

You can do it without training but it would suck.  So if you train it will surely be better.  Just train & do it.  Planning, analyzing, & speculating won't produce anything ... just get moving

peace

dallasboycows

From what I've seen and heard about Tough Mudder, isn't there alot of waiting at some of the obstacles? 

I'm guessing the further hs k u are the more u wait its why I plan on a very fast start even if it burns a little gas. I won't be mad if I'm of top 5% but is love to compete in tht 24 Hr race and have tht on my resume of stuff I've done. I'm in Texas BTW if anyone out here is running it, hit me up.
                    xor

I'm guessing the further hs k u are the more u wait its why I plan on a very fast start even if it burns a little gas.

What?

I'm guessing the further hs k u are the more u wait its why I plan on a very fast start even if it burns a little gas. I won't be mad if I'm of top 5% but is love to compete in tht 24 Hr race and have tht on my resume of stuff I've done. I'm in Texas BTW if anyone out here is running it, hit me up.

What tough mudder are you doing?  I haven't heard of a 24 hour one.

xor

Yup.  "World's Toughest Mudder".

I think you have to qualify.

Yup.  "World's Toughest Mudder".

I think you have to qualify.

Well damn.  That looks fun.

Well damn.  That looks fun.

not sure if fun is the word i would use, but its somethin thats for sure.

interesting rule: *Note: Once 24 hours has been reached, all competitors will have four additional hours to equal the number of laps completed by the winner. Only by doing so will a competitor be considered a “finisher” of the event.

dallasboycows

not sure if fun is the word i would use, but its somethin thats for sure.

interesting rule: *Note: Once 24 hours has been reached, all competitors will have four additional hours to equal the number of laps completed by the winner. Only by doing so will a competitor be considered a “finisher” of the event.

oh wow didn't see tht part. I was trying to say if u get off to a slow start its probably lots of waiting in the pack. when I run my races I usually take off first half mile at 4:30 mile pace to get out of pack. not sure if there is a little distance b4 the first obstacle but if so that would be the plan.