cramps are back - WTF?!? (Read 996 times)

I've been laying low for a while due to my ITB problem and physical therapy. Now I am done and getting back into things. Before my injury, my long run was about 6miles. When I first started running, during the c25k days, and for alittle while after, I ALWAYS had a bout of cramps during my warm up and they would then recede (sometimes) as I continued. Once I really got into my running schedule, I would never have this problem. Now that i am coming back into things again, they are back! I try not to have too much in my stomach, especially liquid b/c I know I am prone to this problem with too much water in me. But sometimes its hard to schedule when I will run and still be able to pump my body full of those daily 64ounces (or more). But I am starting to wonder if getting cramps has anything to do with being "out of shape"? I know I lost plenty of stamina during my time away from running, so do you think I just have to build my ability back up and push through this? Sometimes the cramps get so bad I cry out and HAVE to walk for alittle bit. Other times, I can just pinch my side and hard-breathe through it for a little while. But I am getting very frustrated. The last 4 runs I had were so freakin slow b/c I had this problem and had to keep walking - my knee was fine though!

Maniac

Glad the knee is fine... Is it cramps or just a stitch in your side? There is a big difference....

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

For the most part three things cause cramps. Potassium/calcium ratio outa wack, lack of hydration, over working your muscles.
          What you are describing is a side stitch which is simply a muscle cramp in your diaphragm. They are commonly caused by running at too fast a pace or by shallow breathing. Since your are occurring during your warm-up, it's like due to pace. Slow way down until your body has time to warm up and if you feel a stitch coming on take deep deliberate breaths until it subsides. Tom
            Yeah I think you need to just push through it. I used to get these pretty often. Like Figbash said, slow it down a little if you have to, though I never found that to help once I got a stitch. The only thing I found to ease the pain (other than just keep running until it went away) was to push on the spot that hurt with my fingers. The more you run the less this will be a problem. I don't remember the last time it happened.
              Sad okkkk I will just shut up and push through it. Its def. a side stitch, not cramps like electrolyte/hydration problems. they just suck!
              Carps10

if u push through you can actually strain your diaphragm, i've done it before. a better idea is to 1) slow down and 2) try to belly breathe in a slow and controlled way
                  I actually went out today and had absolutley nothing in my belly except ONE sip of water about 20 minutes before hand. I took it REALLY slowly right from the beginning and still experienced cramps, but they were much better than they had been. and they went away about a mile into it. I really think it has something to do with whats in my belly, and my current level of "in- shapeness". plus, its hot as hell in NJ now and i havent quite acclimated to the sudden temp change/humidity yet - i felt like i was dragging ass today!
                  jcasetnl

The things I remember for myself are: 1. They're more common the worse shape you're in 2. Try to run smoothly without a lot of bouncing. 3. Do a couple sets of situps to get blood flow to your abs and "pump" them, which seems to support the whole area and lend to better form overall. You want to work the abs but not exhaust them. Two sets of 30 crunches is enough for anyone I think. Outside of running, you might do some additional core strengthening. 4. Don't eat/drink before a workout - which you already know. I've also heard they can be caused by "gulping" air, either because you're out of shape, breathing incorrectly or maybe starting out too fast. I also had an injury back in high school. Basically I strained a muscle which supports my diaphram and that basically made me hyper-prone to cramps. I'd just be walking to class and suddenly get hit by one, and I'd literally have to stop in my tracks and let it subside. Time and lots of core exercises helped.
                      cool, i'm definitely gonna try the sit up thing. but i really think the out of shapeness has a part to do with it. its getting easier and easier every time i go out, but i havent been able to break 3 miles yet. i am taking my recovery verrrry slowly so as not to scew up my knee again. it might be a while before i feel really in shape again.
                      Carly E

Carly

I've been laying low for a while due to my ITB problem and physical therapy. Now I am done and getting back into things. Before my injury, my long run was about 6miles. When I first started running, during the c25k days, and for alittle while after, I ALWAYS had a bout of cramps during my warm up and they would then recede (sometimes) as I continued. Once I really got into my running schedule, I would never have this problem. Now that i am coming back into things again, they are back! I try not to have too much in my stomach, especially liquid b/c I know I am prone to this problem with too much water in me. But sometimes its hard to schedule when I will run and still be able to pump my body full of those daily 64ounces (or more). But I am starting to wonder if getting cramps has anything to do with being "out of shape"? I know I lost plenty of stamina during my time away from running, so do you think I just have to build my ability back up and push through this? Sometimes the cramps get so bad I cry out and HAVE to walk for alittle bit. Other times, I can just pinch my side and hard-breathe through it for a little while. But I am getting very frustrated. The last 4 runs I had were so freakin slow b/c I had this problem and had to keep walking - my knee was fine though!
                        Better cramps than knee problems. Big grin When you jump back into running after not running in a while, you entire body isn't used to it. Especially your lungs. If you breathe unevenly or hold breaths whlie running, you will get cramps. They go away faster if you keep running. The best solution is to just keep up the workouts, get a breathing pattern going, and run through them. On the dietary side, bananas help (potassium) and WATER. (as if you hadn't heard that one Smile ) Also, drinking sports drinks BEFORE you run is BAD. Those are best to be consumed AFTER. Hope this helps! I know how much cramps suck. Cry
                        Running is like Mouthwash; if you feel the burn, it's working.
                          I did the situps today and it seemed to work wonders!! thank you so much to whoever posted this. i feel like i am finally on the upswing journey of this problem. that and adding 2 or 3 yoga stretches i learned from a dvd i rented seems to keep my hip pretty lose and havent been having ANY knee problems - i'm beaming!! oh, and i've also been making sure at some point in my run when i feel a little low, i keep my head up and say a little prayer to the powers that be thanking them for giving me this day to be able to run. it took an injury and 6 weeks off for me to really appreciate being able to run, no matter how many bad ones i may have