My First Run... (Read 1251 times)

I've been lurking around for the last week or so reading posts while postponing actually lacing up and getting out there and running. Tonight, I ran...if you could call it that. It was more like jog...stop to breath and walk....jog...stop to breath and walk. Regardless I'm glad I got out there and surprisingly look forward to doing it again. I learned some important lessons already: - Putting the chest straps back on a camelbak is harder than taking them off - The Nike iPod armband leaves something to be desired (starting with how do you put it on without three arms?) - My running shoes need some updating - Stretching is a good thing - Banana ice cream is probably no longer a sufficient source of potassium (was it ever?) - My dog needs time to realize she's my running partner and not the other way around - I can't drive on the bike path to determine how far I've gone (may want to invest in the Nike+ thinga-ma-jig) I hope to make some friends on here. I use to run about 8 years ago but got away from it. Now, I'm looking forward to getting back into it for a bunch of reasons (see my profile). Stephanie, NJ
    To keep it, you have to give it away.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Welcome, Stephanie! These are all very important things to learn! Big grin Some of us take a little longer than you to learn these things! You may be interested in the "Couch to 5K" program over on CoolRunning (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) - I'd suggest at least looking it over and getting the general idea of what it's suggesting. Most people can't start out running more than a few minutes at a time anyway, but with patience and time and practice you'll be pleasantly surprised what you can do! Don't be shy! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, Stephanie--great to have you here...don't forget to check out The Ladies' Locker Room group (e-mail me for the password). Wingz is right, the C-to-5k program is great...that's what I started out with early last Spring and I will be running my first half-marathon in less than 2 weeks, woot! It's a great way to get you into regular running, then you can progress from there at whatever pace and schedule works for you. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hi Stephanie, welcome! And congrats on getting out there & making that first run. And jog, catch breath, jog is fine...you are running!! Big grin As you have probably figured out from reading through posts, there are some really great people here of all skill levels. Come join us in the ladies locker room too! Good luck on your continued running journey, whatever your goals!! Big grin Eryn
          So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, and do you drive a Honda Element? I love those goofy things. My membername is car-related...I drove a Mazda 3s hatchback. I love that damned car like it's a child.... Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Hey everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome. I've looked at the C-to-5K program breifly and its comparable to one I'm familiar with but I'll definitely check it out more. Yes I drive an Element. I love it. I just got it in June after wanted one for about 3 years. It has so much room for such a small car and it great for the dogs (two great danes.) Stephanie
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, great Danes--YES, you do need a car at least that big! I'll bet you love that you can stow the rear seats on the sides of the interior...that is a way cool feature. As is the ability to hose it out! I also love that tent contraption. *sigh* I really wanted an Element, but I'm very happy with my 3. We can still haul a lot of stuff in the hatch. And we only have one "Dane" (that's my son's name). Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

I've been lurking around for the last week or so reading posts while postponing actually lacing up and getting out there and running. Tonight, I ran...if you could call it that. It was more like jog...stop to breath and walk....jog...stop to breath and walk. Regardless I'm glad I got out there and surprisingly look forward to doing it again. I learned some important lessons already: - Putting the chest straps back on a camelbak is harder than taking them off - The Nike iPod armband leaves something to be desired (starting with how do you put it on without three arms?) - My running shoes need some updating - Stretching is a good thing - Banana ice cream is probably no longer a sufficient source of potassium (was it ever?) - My dog needs time to realize she's my running partner and not the other way around - I can't drive on the bike path to determine how far I've gone (may want to invest in the Nike+ thinga-ma-jig) I hope to make some friends on here. I use to run about 8 years ago but got away from it. Now, I'm looking forward to getting back into it for a bunch of reasons (see my profile). Stephanie, NJ
                  Hiya, Stephanie! Congrats - and great job - on getting back in to the running thang. And welcome! Big grin A few comments: * Especially at this point, don't *ever* worry about taking the walk breaks. As I've said before (and will repeat ad infinitum), I'm a huge fan of Jeff Galloways walk break techniques for beginners. Check out his "Book on Running, 2nd edition." He'll explain why you get the same benefit, even with the walk breaks (and I usually go FASTER when I include regular walk breaks, by the way). For what it's worth, a year and a half ago, I was running 5 minutes and walking 4 minutes. It got me started, got me back into loving running, and kept me injury free. So do NOT worry about the fact that you have to walk a lot now. You'll be running most of the time, soon enough. * Do you really need to carry all that gear? Esp. the camelhump. I mean camelbak. Whatever floats your boat, of course, but it sounds a bit like you're packing for 2-week vacation when you're going on a quick overnight to Vegas, if that makes sense. If you don't need it, you might be happier leaving some of it behind. My favorite runs involve shoes and shorts, period. (And if that camelhump is full of water, it's heavy!) * Pssst. I think your profile isn't available for public viewing. Unless it's just me. Cuz I can't see it! * They make banana ice cream? Seriously? * If you *do* drive on the bikepath, do it at night, and drive really, really fast. And duct tape over your license plate first as a precaution. Alternatively, you could use Eric's satellite maps to measure your route. I can usually see trails if I zoom (zoom zoom?) in close enough. Good luck! Clowning around

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Finished!

welcome aboard! as a new addict myself, I highly recommend the Couch to 5k (also referred to as C25k) program It's got me running a continuous 30 min now Smile
                    Walk + Jog = wog.
                    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                      Hi, Stephanie--great to have you here...don't forget to check out The Ladies' Locker Room group (e-mail me for the password).
                      Should I just use the e-mail on your website to contact you? Not sure how to e-mail you for the password. Thanks! Stephanie
                        * They make banana ice cream? Seriously?
                        Come on?! Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey baby! (Unfortunately it turns you into a chunky monkey as well - I'm living proof!) I wear the camelbak all the time - I've a got a drinking problem. Confused Stephanie
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Should I just use the e-mail on your website to contact you? Not sure how to e-mail you for the password. Thanks! Stephanie
                          Hey, just e-mail me at harumph@gmail.com Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, and Chunky Monkey is da shiznit! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

RainDropRunner

Hey Element! Reading your profile I see you plan to take in the Mayors Midnight sun half next summer.... wow. You're gonna be in my neighborhood! ...almost. I'm in the panhandle but hey once you make it all the way to Anchorage we're practically neighbors! What made you decide on the that Half Marathon?

~RDR~

What made you decide on the that Half Marathon?
                                Well I wanted to do some type of event for Team-In-Training www.teamintraining.org and it was either the half in Alaska or 100 cycle in Tahoe, NV. I always wanted to run a marathon so I figured this would be a good step towards that and heck, the days are 19 hours long in Alaska in June. Who wouldn't want that?! Stephanie