Packing a Lunch (Read 1247 times)

Best Present Ever

I do this a lot.  It's really not that much more effort since you are eating dinner anyway.  This of course assumes that there is a microwave at work.  If there are no leftovers then I bring a sandwich.  I get leftovers more often than I used to since my kids no longer live at home.  It's a little easier to make extra when there are only two for dinner.

The microwave isn;t necessary -- I often take whatever protein (beans, tofu, meat, fish) we had for dinner and whatever vegetables we had and throw them with either salad greens, raw kale, or cold grains we have.  It's my standard lunch and it makes me happy.  My kids are still little, so I can still keep leftovers.  My youngest, however, is likely to eat us out of house and home in a couple of years, so I may be scrambling to keep up with him.  (Right now, he usually eats a peanut butter sandwich before dinner and often eats another sandwich after dinner.  It's  a bit concerning since he only weighs 62 lbs). 

Kathryn

I pack a lunch every day (10+ years).

I eat the same basic meals every day (for the past 10 years).

I happen to eat about 7 meals per day, with about 4 of them during the hours when I'm at work. 

(never microwave or heat... never refrigerate... maybe a little boring)

2nd Breakfast: banana

1st "lunch": protein bar

2nd "lunch": protein bar, apple, veggie (ie. Cucumber, celery) 

1st "dinner": peanut butter, crackers/bread - either sandwich or separate.

Variety happens during my 2nd dinner, when I get "surprised" by what my wife cooks.

Bottom line is that I consume about the same calories, carbs, protein... per day, in about the same order, making me feel good all day long without carb spikes. 

(It may not be the healtiest, but it works for me, but I'm always open to change / suggestions)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Slo

My only complaint when it comes to packing my lunch is trying to find a spot for my re-used plastic grocery bag in a fridge that is over packed with INSULATED lunch boxes. Now C'mon, if you packed an insulated lunch box then keep it at your desk because putting it in the fridge all zipped up aint doing a whole lot. (besides taking up more room than necessary)

Why is it sideways?

My only complaint when it comes to packing my lunch is trying to find a spot for my re-used plastic grocery bag in a fridge that is over packed with INSULATED lunch boxes. Now C'mon, if you packed an insulated lunch box then keep it at your desk because putting it in the fridge all zipped up aint doing a whole lot. (besides taking up more room than necessary)

Why does anyone have to put anything in the fridge? No lunch is going to go bad in the four hours or so it will sit there at room temperature.

"run" "2" "eat"

i put my lunch in the fridger because i like my sammiches COLD.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Why is it sideways?

i put my lunch in the fridger because i like my sammiches COLD.

Interesting. You do something because you like it and it works for you. Hmmm. I will have to reflect on that a bit and see if that way of reasoning measures up.

"run" "2" "eat"

too much thinking will make you blind.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Why is it sideways?

Dang it R2E I was just about to come to a conclusion when you interrupted me.

"run" "2" "eat"

go have a cold sammich.

Slo

Why does anyone have to put anything in the fridge? No lunch is going to go bad in the four hours or so it will sit there at room temperature.

Agreed, but like R2E said, It's nice to have some things cooler and not at room temp. There are many times my lunch never leaves my back pack until I take lunch. Usually what happens is I throw a fit in the kitchette about someone stealing my lunch only to discover later I never put it in the fridge. On those days I eat at my desk. Big grin

Seriously though, the nature of my job does not allow me to take lunch at a specified time. I take it when I can and that is usually within a 2 hour window 11 - 1 but there are times it's much later. On those days it's nice to have a fridge.

Why is it sideways?

Agreed, but like R2E said, It's nice to have some things cooler and not at room temp. There are many times my lunch never leaves my back pack until I take lunch. Usually what happens is I throw a fit in the kitchette about someone stealing my lunch only to discover later I never put it in the fridge. On those days I eat at my desk. Big grin

Seriously though, the nature of my job does not allow me to take lunch at a specified time. I take it when I can and that is usually within a 2 hour window 11 - 1 but there are times it's much later. On those days it's nice to have a fridge.

I hear ya. I wasn't really arguing against your complaint, which is valid. I'm even giving you ammunition: what the hell are those Idiots putting their Lunch in the Fridge for, dangit!! The fridge is hardly necessary even without a Thermo Insulator. Plus, your lunch smells funny.

A Saucy Wench

Just for the love of god would you please stop nuking fish at work.  Thanks

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

"run" "2" "eat"

yeah, jeffer, enough with the fish already. jeez!

http://news.yahoo.com/kids-brown-bagging-bacteria-130605098.html

"run" "2" "eat"

doesn't say what was in those unsafe lunches. probably fish. stupid preschoolers!