HM advice (Read 416 times)

Hi guys, everyone always seems to give wonderful advice on here and I could use some. I have my first HM on Saturday, Oct 13th. I am very excited about it.. but this past week I have been extremely under the weather and have not gotten my miles in...I Just sleeping a ton instead. Tomorrow I am scheduled for a 10 miler (following hal higdon's plan) but I am still not feeling well.. I know I am suppose to follow what my body says, but I am nervous about jumping from my longest run to date of 9 miles (which i did last week) to 13.1 next week. Should I skip the 10 miles to rest more and taper as usual? Or try to push myself and do the 10 miles? I cant seem to make a decision. Undecided
      That's lousy timing, sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Everybody is different of course, but my cousin's wife covered the Applefest course in Hollis NH for her first HM after running just 7 miles as her longest ever. To me, a mileage increase of almost 50% on a really hilly course is too much. I don't think she enjoyed the race much, but it does show that it can be done. Personally, I would probably try to cover the scheduled 10 miles at a very slow pace. If you can stand the repetition, I use a track workout when I'm unsure I can cover the distance. You're never more than 1/4 mile from your car, so it's easy to break off your run if things don't go well. I run/walk which allows me to recover a bit during runs, and it's particularly helpful when I'm not in top form. Given the state of your health you'll probably tire earlier, and I would highly recommend using walk breaks as a way to delay the onset of fatigue. You can time your segments (I generally run six minutes and walk one minute) or if you do head for a track you can run four laps and walk one. Most importantly, listen to your body. First do no harm. If you decide to try it and it's not going well, slow down. If slowing down isn't enough, give yourself credit for trying and break it off. If you cover five miles in the morning and recover well, try to add a couple easy miles in the evening too. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Thank you I will take your advice and give it a shot. I would be mad at myself if I didn't. Hopefully a good night sleep will kick this bug. Smile