Too much running (Read 1586 times)

joescott

I don't do the best job of staying on top of our RA forums, so forgive me if someone already posted this little blog article that I liked.

http://www.drmichaeljoyner.com/too-much-exercise/

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Doc, my tooth hurts

so when someone who doesn't exercise at all tells me that running marathons is bad, they are wrong? 

joescott

so when someone who doesn't exercise at all tells me that running marathons is bad, they are wrong? 

I know, shocking.

- Joe

Doc, my tooth hurts

I know, shocking.

Only to them.

Feeling the growl again

I don't do the best job of staying on top of our RA forums, so forgive me if someone already posted this little blog article that I liked.

http://www.drmichaeljoyner.com/too-much-exercise/

If it has been posted, I missed it too.  Thank you.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Queen of 3rd Place

From the article: "It does appear that in terms of health there are diminishing returns and that people who train “a whole lot” (say more than an hour almost every day) are not  better off than people who just do “a lot” (30-60 minutes most days)."

More than an hour almost every day is "a whole lot"? 

Ex runner

Half Fanatic #846

Hey, there's still up to 23 hours left - now that's a whole lot!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

#artbydmcbride

From the article: "It does appear that in terms of health there are diminishing returns and that people who train “a whole lot” (say more than an hour almost every day) are not  better off than people who just do “a lot” (30-60 minutes most days)."

I know, right?   Roll eyes  

Only an hour a day?

Runners run

DoppleBock

3 cheers for the ultra-joggers!

Also, case reports in a few people are hard to interpret and in more controlled studies it appears that the coronary arteries of lifelong ultramarathon runners are a bit bigger than those of non-runners and can also dilate more.   The figure below shows this data, and bigger coronary arteries that relax more are almost certainly a very good thing.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

joescott

DB, I am somewhat amused by the final sentence in the abstract of the paper you linked:

"The causes of this greater dilating capacity and its clinical significance need to be determined."

I'm not a PhD or MD or anything, but just my guess:  lots of running is the cause.

- Joe

MrNamtor

One has to consider the fact that while the majority of runners have very healthy lifestyles, a certain percentage of runners have eating disorders and/or OCD issues. Or maybe it's more accurate to say that people with eating disorders and/or OCD issues are often attracted to running as a sport or activity.

Either way, this may influence data gathered on lifelong runners and their health status.

Read this article from the WSJ today

“If you are running more than 15 miles a week, you are doing it for some reason other than health,” said Dr. (Kenneth) Cooper

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

One has to consider the fact that while the majority of runners have very healthy lifestyles, a certain percentage of runners have eating disorders and/or OCD issues. Or maybe it's more accurate to say that people with eating disorders and/or OCD issues are often attracted to running as a sport or activity.

Either way, this may influence data gathered on lifelong runners and their health status.

All things said and done, the fact remains that, when you consider %, people running marathon has hell of a better chance of "living" than people driving down to a grocery store.  So far, with 40+ years of my involvement with running, I've met probably 2 people with eating disorder.  I know one person with eating disorder who played volleyball in high school--and I've been involved with high school volleyball for 3 years.  I never heard anybody saying anything about relationship between eating disorder and volleyball.

People who write article would come up with ANYTHING to write about.  To me, it's rather ridiculous to think, with 2 million people running marathons (I don't know the exact number...), 3 or 4 people drop dead and everybody gets all bend out of shape.  I'd be more concerned with some drunk high school kids driving around in the middle of the night every weekend than us running more than an hour a day and how much oxygen we consume and how much "free radicals" our body is accumulating from that.

DoppleBock

This is me - But before running (9.5 years ago) - I was 300+ pounds and likely be 400+ by today.  So, although I may not be that much healthier than a normal healthy person (Or even less) that exercises 30-45 minutes 5 days a week (I think that is a nice healthy amount), I am much healthier than if I never stated running at all.  Heck I might be dead already.

If my wife or Dr told me I had to stop running tomorrow - I could do that.  But I would be doing something else in its place.  Running is just my current chosen outlet.

I know "Runners run" - But I can get my aerobic fix from just about anything.  So maybe I am not a real runner?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

This is me - But before running (9.5 years ago) - I was 300+ pounds and likely be 400+ by today.  So, although I may not be that much healthier than a normal healthy person (Or even less) that exercises 30-45 minutes 5 days a week (I think that is a nice healthy amount), I am much healthier than if I never stated running at all.  Heck I might be dead already.

If my wife or Dr told me I had to stop running tomorrow - I could do that.  But I would be doing something else in its place.  Running is just my current chosen outlet.

I know "Runners run" - But I can get my aerobic fix from just about anything.  So maybe I am not a real runner?

Please! I struggle with not feeling like a real runner. If you're not one, well, I'm screwed.